U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:03 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,583,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
@NYgal1542 What happened here is, I"m sure, is your complex received a grant under The LIHTC program (Low Income Housing Tax Credit program with HUD) which provides funding for the development costs. In return, they have to honor the conditions of the grant.

Rents are on a scale, usually three tiers. A percentage of the units go in each tier. The resident is paying a percentage of their income. Everything is based on your county's Median Area Income. Even in "market rates" tier, the rents are usually cheaper.

There are pages and pages on the internet explaining this.

NOW, when the time frame expires, they are free to do whatever they want. The "good ones" are 20 years. Some have been running that way for several decades even since the 1960's.

OTOH, some are in it for only 5 years and the MOMENT the grant time expires, they change stuff.

Like in one community in my area, the owners dropped the management company and replaced them with a cheaper and IMO, substandard one. Because one of the grant conditions was that they were to retain the same level of management for five years. That very MONTH, they swapped the companies and the place has been sort of a mess in that way, ever since. The management company employees are literally STUPID and make poor choices. The maintenance guys are dudes who's moms LIVE THERE and are incompetent. Even the trash schedule is messed up only due to laziness. The trash room is overflowing regularly.

So anyway, do your due diligence. There are plenty of great ones. Another one near me is awesome and the lowest tier is only $325 per month. But that tier has a ten year waitlist, versus their higher tier of $625. You wouldn't know it's an LIHTC property, it looks as beautiful as any other we have.

POST THE LISTINGS YOU'RE LOOKING AT AND I CAN DIRECT YOU TO SITES THAT WILL ADDRESS YOUR ISSUES and explain why there's this confusion.
The apartment I had in California was under the housing authority. It wasn't luxury but it was nice. Unfortunately, the management was replaced when it was sold and they new company saw expensive condos replacing them, but then couldn't and they ignored things after. We had a major exit of older residents, some moved BY housing as the situation was really bad. And this is when I decided to move where its cheaper. My dog was loud and protective, and nobody messed with my apartment, but the neighbor's so stole my laptop while high and smashed it since it wouldn't do anything without the password. That was the last straw.

I have a small house, but if it was in some kind of complex I'd certainly want to know the policy's and practices of the management before I moved in, and how hung up on exacting rules they are. When the tweakers did their thing in the open unworried about being kicked out, after so many apartments went empty, I would hope that the county would have taken it off their list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 11:48 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,227,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I wish you all would get informed about the topic instead of assuming things.

Cherry picking. What they are DOING is filling slots that are dictated by their LIHTC grant.

Jeeze, as a lawyer, you should know that HUD has policies and procedures that you MUST FULFILL in order to be LEGAL.

Just like there is LAW about age restricted qualified communities.

It's all based on Median Area Income, the three categories of income (LOW, VERY LOW, and EXTREMELY LOW) and they are required to have a percentage of EACH and often a percentage of MARKET RATES, too.
Awww. Your naïveté is adorable. I was simply caught off guard by the transparency of the cherry picking, not so much the cherry picking itself.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,709,298 times
Phone them ans ask them. If you can't talk to a human within a minute, you don't want to live there anyway.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 13,535 times
I Agree , However , after searching for awhile I found this link as FYI :
https://www.seniorhomes.com/p/independent-living-costs

Old 07-08-2018, 02:48 PM

211 posts, read 151,854 times
This one near me manages to give prices for the default services and living space.
https://www.thewillowsbellingham.com/residence/

Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 13,535 times
Smile Lack of prices on Senior Housing websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
This one near me manages to give prices for the default services and living space.
https://www.thewillowsbellingham.com/residence/
Thanks AnnaLee2 ,it is very helpful information. I wish all senior communities in US should follow this example , understanding that there are many differences in all kind of cost effectiveness , However just list out some basic price tags then saying "please contact us for more details and prices".

Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM

23,700 posts, read 17,660,009 times
Lots of places are less than forthcoming with basic floorplan prices.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,873,820 times
Subsidized, low-income senior housing is often income based (HUD is about 1/3 of one's income), but, there are also other qualifications and a waiting list. Thus, when people call to inquire about a unit, they are often asked to come-in and fill-out an application, plus cannot really be given specific information over the phone.

Even in a commercial, 'senior-housing' community, there may be legitimate reasons they do not simply hand-out flat rental rates over the phone. (Do they both sell and rent units or perhaps manage rental units for some owners? They may also have different rental packages, instead of a one-size-fits-all 'rack rate.' It may also be because no one is going to rent/buy without seeing the unit first -- and they don't want to conduct time-consuming, futile presentations with folks who randomly call-in over the phone.

Of course, this may also be a sales/rental ploy where they are 'playing games' to get you in the door for an eye-to-eye pitch. Since you have encountered this response in numerous 55+ communities, there is probably a common reason for the lack of information on websites.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:52 PM

29,838 posts, read 34,924,704 times
Some places especially in the build up phase will have periodic specials on both the entry fee and monthly costs for select units. You need to be on their mailing list. We just got one the other day with a significant chunk of change off the normal cost. Made us go hmmmmm! Wonder how their buildup is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or