U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 04:56 AM

401 posts, read 203,445 times

Advertisements

I've been contemplating a move to a town a few hours away from here, and I'm exploring 55+ community housing options. But none of them put prices on their websites!

What's up with these managers who won't tell the browsing public how much the rent is?

Is it a case of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"? They don't want to waste their time with people who care about prices?

Is it because they're going to decide how much to charge after they've met me?

I've seen high-rise condos in the city that list every single condo and it's price. There are limited numbers of floor plans, surely it's not too complicated.

Anyone here ever worked in one of these retirement communities that won't list prices on the website? Are they targetting customers who would be confused by a table of prices? "If you have enough smarts to figure out a pricing table, you probably won't want to live here"?

I'm still in a bad mood after searching in vain for prices in each of the housing communities I was looking at. Sure, they all want my name and phone number, to call me at their convenience, and waste my time on a stupid sales pitch, (but still not tell me prices until I've wasted hours, only to find out it's too expensive, and I should have known that before I even gave them my name) and probably sell the data to a dozen marketing firms. Grrrr.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
I share your frustration.

Perhaps they don't want to list prices because they want you to talk to a sales person who will get your personal information and persuade you to sign up...

Or, perhaps they just don't want to be obligated to update their website every time they raise prices.

I really detest purposeful obfuscation.

An example: Yesterday when I did not receive my home newspaper I visited their website. Nowhere is a phone number or even a link to email them with a complaint. That tells me that their message to their customers is to not bother them.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:02 PM

1,427 posts, read 2,569,254 times
It's because they want to get you in for the tour and dog-and-pony-show. Sales wisdom is that the longer a prospect has invested in a process, the more likely they are the make the buy. Kind of like how it takes hours to negotiate a vehicle purchase at a dealer.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:06 PM

23,668 posts, read 8,235,451 times
Probably because rents are based on incomes etc.

In my home town which is a small town back in PA, there was a high rise built and was for seniors on low incomes. Then I've heard recently from friends, it's been opened up to others who need housing and rents again are based on incomes etc. I just heard a cousin who is in late 60's just got in there due to a divorce and losing a good portion of community property.

I have a friend who sold her family house in 2005 time frame for a great $60K and also got into this high rise,,she loves it, but says they are letting a lot of rift raft in now. Open to so many younger people now. My friend went in at a somewhat higher rent, but still LOW, due to her sale of house proceeds.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-07-2018 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 01:07 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,641,304 times
they want to get you signed up or in their office and then go to the hard sell, orgasmic enthusiasm for what a magnificent lifestyle yadda yadda yadda, and THEN they will spill the beans about how much ,and then the real kicker is the HOA. . By that time you might feel like a total swine for not being interested and having wasted their time.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:15 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
I also suspect it is that they are a sliding scale based on income.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
they want to get you signed up or in their office and then go to the hard sell, orgasmic enthusiasm for what a magnificent lifestyle yadda yadda yadda, and THEN they will spill the beans about how much ,and then the real kicker is the HOA. . By that time you might feel like a total swine for not being interested and having wasted their time.
These units in these subsidized bldgs are pretty small but very adequate and so many NEED housing today more than every in our lifetime. We've never had SO MANY living on the streets, if that's living.

Sad situation our country is in.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:24 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
When I was looking on the Internet for senior housing I found all the government subsidized housing to have prices. Those like HUD as an example. But the private ones, no way. They want to get you in there for their sales pitch.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Different situations on everything. Our apt bldg lists it's vacancies available and lists a rent price. If a potential renter comes to see it, then some negotiating may happen. Rents in our city are to the sky, unless one is fortunate to have got into the rent controlled units decades ago.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:08 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
The pricing is a little complicated in that they charge new people whatever the going rate is, but the folks that already live there can only have their rent raised whatever percentage their contract says. For example my MIL's place raises the rent on current residents 5% per year. However the rent for new tenants is based partly upon what the local competition is charging, and whatever other factors are affecting them, such as increased prices for gas and electric, raises in the staff's salary based upon contract negotiations, raises in taxes charged by the locality, etc. So new tenant rates might go up faster than current tenants or might not. So people are paying all kinds of different rents depending on how long they've been living there. Also they would have to pay someone to update their website every time they change the rent, so they just don't put it on there. Just call them and ask what the rent is for the size unit you're looking for. Also ask if they are government subsidized, and what minimum or maximum income requirements they may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or