Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 AM

202 posts, read 309,723 times

Advertisements

Sit on it (off of Happy Days)

Whoopee Twang
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,092,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Too lazy to search 3 pages of posts, so I'll add in "hippie" if not already there. Also, "disco".
What is the context of "disco." As a style of music, it's not different as a *label* than Grunge, Ska, and other obsolete styles.

They sometimes come back, in modified form. If you know Linkin Park, for example, they fused what struck me as Hip Hop chords with Metal riffs. Interesting genre, if you like that sort of thing (I did, while it was popular briefly).

"Hippie?" Its rare...or rarer, rather...these days but if someone emulates behaving like a hippie, itself a bit odd, they can be called a hippie. I dated a neo-hippie in '16 a couple months; she was more like a Native American (half-blood) but with that whole Gaia thing going on and Hippie ways therein. I gently called her the Hippie Squaw and she didn't really mind, it was true and I wasn't jamming her. They were a harmless bunch, living on retrograde theories disproved centuries ago, but whatever.

"Cool", and "Man" (as in "yeah, man") are still around. The rest, meh: hard to say, languages heave too and fro, anyone who studies it will tell you that. No one says "23 Skidoo" or "Kilroy was Here" anymore, nor would many even know what the hell they mean (beats me, though former is Roaring '20s and latter 1940s, I do believe).

Old 01-10-2018, 12:37 PM

3,703 posts, read 2,643,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Here's the list:

The Man
Spaz
Stella
Catch you on the Flip Side
Out to Lunch (like not all there)
Cool Beans
To the Max
Lay a Gasser
Skinny (as in "give me the skinny")
10-4, good buddy
Bogue (that is spelled correctly; never heard of it)
Space Cadet
Sit on It
Take a Chill Pill
What a Fry
Stop Dipping in my Kool Aid
Brick House
Psyche!
Do me a Solid
Boogie Down

Well, I graduated high school in the 70's and feel I grew up then and the 60's but some of these terms I have never heard and some I still use. I have been known to say Cool Beans and To the Max sometimes; not often but sometimes.

I've heard people say he's a spaz (back then) and people still say they work for The Man.

How about you? Supposed to be a fun thread.

I actually remember a lot of people saying "Really" to everything and also "Far Out"

I still use at least 1/3 of those. Not daily but often enough.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Also "Right on!"

Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM

21,427 posts, read 8,633,272 times
Keep on truckin’

Old 01-10-2018, 03:33 PM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Keep on truckin’
That whole truck driver phase is funny...there was a time when you couldn't get any cooler than being a truck driver...remember the movie "Convoy" and the whole CB radio thing? "10-4 good buddy, got Smoky on my tail" lol.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,690,608 times
When I look at those lists of thing said by some, I see some people have never really learned to communicate beyond junior high. All say they say I am a young ignorant child trying to talk in a childish code, to intelligent people.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM

813 posts, read 1,129,233 times
Knarly is spelled GNARLY! and bogue is a typo for VOGUE as in Madonna!

Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM

779 posts, read 467,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Here's the list:

The Man
Spaz
Stella
Catch you on the Flip Side
Out to Lunch (like not all there)
Cool Beans
To the Max
Lay a Gasser
Skinny (as in "give me the skinny")
10-4, good buddy
Bogue (that is spelled correctly; never heard of it)
Space Cadet
Sit on It
Take a Chill Pill
What a Fry
Stop Dipping in my Kool Aid
Brick House
Psyche!
Do me a Solid
Boogie Down

Well, I graduated high school in the 70's and feel I grew up then and the 60's but some of these terms I have never heard and some I still use. I have been known to say Cool Beans and To the Max sometimes; not often but sometimes.

I've heard people say he's a spaz (back then) and people still say they work for The Man.

How about you? Supposed to be a fun thread.

I actually remember a lot of people saying "Really" to everything and also "Far Out"
I'm 37. I hear 80 percent of this on a somewhat regular basis.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:02 PM

21,911 posts, read 19,049,706 times
i don't know if other people / friends / family invent their own slang words, but my brother and his best friend did when they were teenagers, and which caused both our families to also pick up the phrases. We used them for years, decades, they are part of the family vocabulary.

I would be very very surprised if anyone ever heard of these, then or now:

dead ish
byulg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement