U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:11 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,180,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Knarly is spelled GNARLY! and bogue is a typo for VOGUE as in Madonna!
Nope.

Madonna is entirely 80s. Bogue is "bogus".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM

18,464 posts, read 20,242,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Here's the list:

The Man
Spaz
Stella
Catch you on the Flip Side
Out to Lunch (like not all there)
Cool Beans
To the Max
Lay a Gasser
Skinny (as in "give me the skinny")
10-4, good buddy
Bogue (that is spelled correctly; never heard of it)
Space Cadet
Sit on It
Take a Chill Pill
What a Fry
Stop Dipping in my Kool Aid
Brick House
Psyche!
Do me a Solid
Boogie Down

Well, I graduated high school in the 70's and feel I grew up then and the 60's but some of these terms I have never heard and some I still use. I have been known to say Cool Beans and To the Max sometimes; not often but sometimes.

I've heard people say he's a spaz (back then) and people still say they work for The Man.

How about you? Supposed to be a fun thread.

I actually remember a lot of people saying "Really" to everything and also "Far Out"
Actually I hear these and use some but I work with older guys. Young kids today are too busy texting and on Facebook to have a actual conversation

Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 PM

346 posts, read 161,639 times
Not sure where you grew up, but this was also common in my part of Missouri. We all snickered when they renamed a drugstore chain Skaggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Someone in my high school who was not clean/well dressed, very poor, greasy hair, etc., was a "skag". Not very nice, I know.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:57 PM

346 posts, read 161,639 times
I remember groty and gnarly, but wasn't gross used back then, too? Or was that the '80s?

We referred to someone who'd fried their brains on drugs as a burnout or a head.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but kipe (unsure of spelling) meant steal.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:11 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,171,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
No one says "23 Skidoo"
Get outta here! (It means get outta here.)

Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 AM

6,398 posts, read 5,471,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm 70 years old -- grew up in the 60's -- and I still use 60's slang. I often say "groovy," and my friend and I, who were big Beatles fans in the 60's, still use "fab" and "gear."

Speaking of "groovy" -- when I was a teenager, there was a Top 40 radio station in Pittsburgh (my home town) called KQV, and it called itself "Groovy QV." So now when I use the word "groovy" I often follow it with "QV," but of course nobody has any idea what I'm talking about.
I know Fab and Gear! Do you know the term " Dead Grotty" (grotesque)? George uses that term in "A Hard Day's Night" to express his opinion on some new shirts.

We used a similar term, but we pronounced it "Grow-Dee".

Junior/Sr. high slang included "Gaygen"...an insult, but not particularly inferring they were gay.
"Sped"...short for someone in "Special Ed", or usually, just stupid.
"Schwatz"...African American.
"Mossy"...ridiculous, pathetic, unappealing
"Neat-O" (or just plain "Neat")

Then there were "Nerd" (Happy Days), "Off my case, toilet face", and "Up your nose with a rubber hose". (Welcome Back Kotter).

And in my high school:

"Carpet Head", and later, "Twitch"...the principal (who had a crew cut and eventually developed a nervous disorder).

"Toad"...the vice principal (no need for explanation there).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-11-2018 at 02:41 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 AM

12,141 posts, read 6,714,205 times
Retard, or tard - You missed the bus? Retard! You wore that shirt? Retard! Don't be such a tard. I imagine this is not acceptable in schools today.

Party hardy
Dungarees

Old 01-11-2018, 07:34 AM

8,214 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
"Schwatz"...African American.
That's not a '70s word. Schwartz is simply German for black. If you heard it from Jews, they were saying Shvartze, which is Yiddish for black. However, it can have negative connotations and is sometimes used pejoratively.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM

56,250 posts, read 54,695,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That whole truck driver phase is funny...there was a time when you couldn't get any cooler than being a truck driver...remember the movie "Convoy" and the whole CB radio thing? "10-4 good buddy, got Smoky on my tail" lol.
My friend and I used to drive around drinking beer and talking on the CB radio in her car. Sometimes we'd meet guys that way.

My handle was "Hot Legs".

"Breaker, breaker..."

Old 01-11-2018, 11:07 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,696,237 times
Ball = to ummm...*ahem*...have sexual intercourse.... Pretty much the F-word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Q4Px4Lwik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or