U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 04:38 AM

20,804 posts, read 16,761,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
The late Charles Manson said “You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”

When a couple of friends and I were in our teens, a couple of women several years older gave us a ride. They actually approached us. That wouldn't happen now in the suburbs I'm from.

When I was a child, I used to go wherever I wanted in the neighborhood. My niece couldn't when she was a child, though she lived in an area a bit closer to city than I did.
Yes, me too. We lived in a rural area and I walked or rode my bike to friends alone who lived maybe a mile or two away even in elementary school. There really didn’t seem any cause for concern then. Today my mom would have me taken away if she let me walk alone at age 7 or 8 which I think is more paranoia than actual risk, but it does seem much scarier now.

Crime statistics overall were higher overall but violent crime was lower than and it was not as widespread.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-14-2018 at 04:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:16 AM

477 posts, read 398,094 times
How about -

What it is
Scooter Pooping - as in "lets go scooter pooping"
How's it hanging
What's the word thunder bird

Old 01-14-2018, 08:31 AM

20,804 posts, read 16,761,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
How about -

What it is
Scooter Pooping - as in "lets go scooter pooping"
How's it hanging
What's the word thunder bird
I grew up in the late 60's and 70's but what on earth is scooter pooping??

Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,065,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, me too. We lived in a rural area and I walked or rode my bike to friends alone who lived maybe a mile or two away even in elementary school. There really didnít seem any cause for concern then. Today my mom would have me taken away if she let me walk alone at age 7 or 8 which I think is more paranoia than actual risk, but it does seem much scarier now.

Crime statistics overall were higher overall but violent crime was lower than and it was not as widespread.

Crime rates were higher in the cities. My guess is crime rates were lower in the suburbs and countryside during the 1970s.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:36 PM

56,464 posts, read 54,875,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
CB radios were popular in the 70s. They still exist, though I have no idea how often they are used.

I guess it wasn't a big deal to have an open container back then if one's blood alcohol content was within whatever the legal limit was at the time.

Was it much safer to meet guys like that back then compared to now?
I don't remember anything serious ever coming of our encounters. I'm sure it could have been unsafe if we had ever run into a psycho. My friend and I weren't exactly good-looking chicks, so hiding behind a CB radio worked well for us, hehehe.

It was definitely more common to drive around drinking beer (and smoking pot) back in the 70s. It was in the days before MADD and the stricter laws against open containers and drunk driving. Not sure there was even such a thing as a breathalyzer yet. If a cop pulled you over and you were drinking, depending upon how intoxicated you appeared to be they would either tell you to be careful or make you pull over and walk home. I only remember getting pulled over once when I was drinking and I got the "be careful" warning.

But bad things did happen when people drove drunk, and that's what MADD brought attention to and fought to get the laws changed for. It probably saved lives of some of the subsequent young and stupid.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
scallywag
I think that one is 1870s, not 1970s.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, me too. We lived in a rural area and I walked or rode my bike to friends alone who lived maybe a mile or two away even in elementary school. There really didn’t seem any cause for concern then. Today my mom would have me taken away if she let me walk alone at age 7 or 8 which I think is more paranoia than actual risk, but it does seem much scarier now.

I loved to read when I was a kid, but my mother didn't like me to read so much and yelled at me to go outside and play, so I would take my books and go into the woods where there were these viney bushes that you could crawl under like a tent and hide and read. Nowadays kids wouldn't go into the woods alone, but we had woods all around and I felt comfortable and safe in the woods. I'm 59 years old and I still feel comfortable and safe in the woods, as a matter of fact.

I also used to walk home alone, sometimes even at night if there was a band concert my parents couldn't go to or after softball games, which were in the evening at a school about a mile from where I lived. It's just the way it was back then. I can remember trotting home in the dark carrying my flute and taking short cuts through a deserted church yard and the adjacent road through the woods because it was shorter. Nobody worried about it.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:42 PM

588 posts, read 346,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
knucklehead
nitwit
plastic -- for phony
trippin' -- getting all worked up
cool
Cool has made a come back in the schools I work

I believe the kiddos think that they made this up themselves

Old 01-14-2018, 05:43 PM

295 posts, read 144,013 times
I grew up in Chicago. We would wander all day. The lake, parks, the museums, Wrigley Field. We could and did go everywhere. My parents would go grocery shopping and leave us in the car.
When I was in my 20s after work we would hit the bars. And I would walk home 2 miles at 1:00 am and not be afraid.
We live in a rural area and we still have that safe feeling

Old 01-15-2018, 01:49 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,380,478 times
Default Truth Will Tell

In 1970, Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald said that hippies had broken into his house in NC and killed his family, chanting: "Acid is groovy. Kill the pigs."

As soon as I saw that news report, I knew he was guilty of the crime and so did the cops. In 1970 no hippie called anything "groovy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or