U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,914,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You know what? It doesn't matter. There is good and bad everywhere -- go someplace and deal with it. You'll always be near a WalMart and bad drivers and 200 channel cable and barking dogs.. Taxes will all even out, whether it is income tax in one state or property tax in another. It never snows in Florida, Texas or Arizona.
It's not that way in the U.S. I'm glad I'm an American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
[quote=DaveinMtAiry;50670044]As the folks on the Tennessee boards. I've been bugging the crap out of them since 2012 and I still don't have a decision made.[/QUOTE

Why would you want to leave Mayberry?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,878,713 times
[quote=cebuan;50671235]You know what? It doesn't matter. There is good and bad everywhere -- go someplace and deal with it. You'll always be near a WalMart and bad drivers and 200 channel cable and barking dogs.. Taxes will all even out, whether it is income tax in one state or property tax in another. It never snows in Florida, Texas or Arizona.[/QUOTE

You need to rethink that last sentence.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:35 PM

31,628 posts, read 19,947,296 times
[quote=ncn;50671380]
Quote:
you know what? It doesn't matter. There is good and bad everywhere -- go someplace and deal with it. You'll always be near a walmart and bad drivers and 200 channel cable and barking dogs.. Taxes will all even out, whether it is income tax in one state or property tax in another. It never snows in florida, texas or arizona.[/quote

you need to rethink that last sentence.
+1
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-11-2018, 06:42 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,663,688 times
[quote=NCN;50671380]
Quote:
You know what? It doesn't matter. There is good and bad everywhere -- go someplace and deal with it. You'll always be near a WalMart and bad drivers and 200 channel cable and barking dogs.. Taxes will all even out, whether it is income tax in one state or property tax in another. It never snows in Florida, Texas or Arizona.[/QUOTE

You need to rethink that last sentence.
You need to reinterpret it less literally.

And yes, I know, Flagstaff is the second snowiest city in the US, after Buffalo. And Amarillo gets a couplem blizzards every year. But there are lots of retirement places in those stastes that are not Flagstaff or Amarillo. Places where it "never snows" means places where you look forward to the occasional snow to write home about..

In other words, you don't choose FL or TX or AZ retirement locations according to which one gets the fewest snow days per dedcade, because at all three, the number rounds off to zero. I lived in Florida for two years and Texas for ten, and never saw snow standing on the grouind more than a couple of hours.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,914,867 times
[quote=Mikala43;50671451]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncn View Post

+1
The quotations are all mixed up. Please go into moderator mode and fix them.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,193 times
[quote=NCN;50671350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As the folks on the Tennessee boards. I've been bugging the crap out of them since 2012 and I still don't have a decision made.[/QUOTE

Why would you want to leave Mayberry?
Actually Dave is in Mt Airy, Maryland, not North Carolina

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM

922 posts, read 720,376 times
Is there a site that utilizes factors (that you can search) for retirees vs. searching sites on each possible location to find out about costs of living? Thanks!

Love the Mayberry comment. I am 48 and watch it every night when going to bed. Gave up watching news a year ago. I sleep much better!

I'm on the coast of CA ($$$$$$$), but am ready to leave after our rains and mudslides this week. It's been tragic.

I LOVE Cleveland and do not care what others may say. I visit 8x per year and it's always busy with theatre, sports, museums, etc. HOWEVER, the wife will NOT retire there (she did say it once and I should have hit "record" on my Iphone). She is leaning to Spokane (both have water and are green), but there is just more culture in CLE.

Anyway, if there is such a site that has built in coding for retiree costs, that would be cool. If not, I'm going to have to get busy coding a new search site.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:27 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,827,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I just don't understand why retired people want to re-locate. If you are unhappy where you live and think that can be cured by a new location, you may be surprized to find that you had to bring unhappy self along.
Many folks have to live for many years where there are jobs in their field, or with the same pension paying employer although they would prefer to live elsewhere. Once free from that job obligation, they wish to live in a place of their own choosing. I don't see how that is hard to understand.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
Quote:
You know what? It doesn't matter. There is good and bad everywhere -- go someplace and deal with it. You'll always be near a WalMart and bad drivers and 200 channel cable and barking dogs.. Taxes will all even out, whether it is income tax in one state or property tax in another. It never snows in Florida, Texas or Arizona.
I also don't think anyone is deluding him or herself that life will be perfect wherever we relocate. Yet another misconception.

I, for one, was tethered here due to my job and family obligations. With those out of the way, I'm free as the breeze to choose as I please.

As my mother used to say, "They're just jealous!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement