U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM

1,371 posts, read 462,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
many folks have to live for many years where there are jobs in their field, or with the same pension paying employer although they would prefer to live elsewhere. Once free from that job obligation, they wish to live in a place of their own choosing. I don't see how that is hard to understand.
truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 09:32 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,094 times
For me the cost of living was the most important factor when I did my research. I knew that I wanted to move southwest and looked at Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona. Once I had narrowed my search to Arizona, I knew that I did not want the Phoenix area. I had lived in urban sprawl all my life and didn't want this. Now my spreadsheet was narrowed down and I factored in on both COL and summer heat.

When I traveled the 1800 miles, there were three areas in southeastern and one area in central Arizona that I wanted to focus upon when I arrived. I got extremely lucky. There were some places that I found on my first day hunting in the first area that would have worked out all right. I found my dream location on my second day hunting in a different area, everything fell into place, and I'm very happy here!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM

1,371 posts, read 462,799 times
There is no utopia. But if you are unhappy where you are, it's likely you can improve your circumstances, either in place, or by relocating.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
One also hears, "Well, wherever you go, there you are; you take yourself and your problems with you."
No doubt, but we're not relocating to escape ourselves or our problems. Sheesh!
What some people don't get is that there are many fine places to live but one cannot afford to move there until not needing a job, that is, retirement.

It's like where you live in your working life is some kind of default and there has to be a great reason to leave. Maybe you ended up staying there because you needed to work, not because it's your favorite place to live. I mean, if it were, people would vacation at home, right?

I get that "you're so brave" after people find out that I'm a) going alone and b) don't have family or friends or old friends where I'm going. Brave? I've lived my life alone. It's good not to have to consider another person or the disruptions of moving along with relationship. It's harder knowing that, if you take another person with you, you take a lot of what you need with you (assuming it's at least amiable).

I forget how rooted some people are in "family" and there seems to be an assumption that one should just stay where one arbitrarily started life or ended up. Frankly, I think staying in eastern Mass. is crazy for anyone unless they really really like everything here. So expensive, so crowded.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Many folks have to live for many years where there are jobs in their field, or with the same pension paying employer although they would prefer to live elsewhere. Once free from that job obligation, they wish to live in a place of their own choosing. I don't see how that is hard to understand.
^^^^
Exactly.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,468 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Many folks have to live for many years where there are jobs in their field, or with the same pension paying employer although they would prefer to live elsewhere. Once free from that job obligation, they wish to live in a place of their own choosing. I don't see how that is hard to understand.
Yep, the ties that bind. For me it was the kids schooling. Once the last one graduated I was gone, in my new location within four months of the graduation ceremony.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:28 AM

31,628 posts, read 19,955,234 times
We don't hate where we live, it's Hawaii and it's pretty nice. It's also isolated and expensive.

Why didn't we move sooner? Um, and give up DH's pension? Oh, heck no. We have one of the best pensions of any state. So now he is retired and we are still not moving. Why? We are not leaving until the youngest graduates.

People have lots of reasons for not moving and then moving when their life changes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-12-2018, 12:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,585,473 times
I don't hate where I live at all, it has a lot of positives & I have an economical housing situation. Once an elderly parent passes away I have very little in the way of family or friends still left here & my apartment can now fetch the price of a modest house elsewhere. Problem is I am spoiled for choice here for different activities & good healthcare & would prefer not to abandon that just for more house but in a less interesting area.

On the other hand I do see another chapter for me if my health maintains & I am narrowing down the possibilities, down to about 6 now & plan to visit/revisit starting this year. Since childhood I have always had a near obsession with living overseas & 3 of the 6 spots are international, but I wonder if my ways are so set now that the "start over" as an outsider in another culture isn't realistic, although I am focused on large expat spots. But I could stay where I am & be happy to just snowbird as well if financially feasible.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,610 times
What is the income tax rate in TN? Is there a special deduction for seniors? I know hubbys pension will not be taxed there, and property taxes are low compared to Long Island but not sure on the income tax.

Last edited by 2LongIslanders; 08-02-2018 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,896 times
The only income tax in Tennessee is the Hall Tax. It is levied on interest on bonds and notes and stock dividends. It currently is at 3% and is going totally away in 2021. It does not apply to assets in IRAs and does not apply to the first $1250 (or $2500 for joint filers).

So, depending on how much non-retirement interest/dividends you get, it may or may not be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement