U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:01 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,816,038 times

Advertisements

Was a Snowbird from MA to FL for five yrs, stayed year long in FL three years, couldn’t take
the Summers, scoped out weather and RE in WNC, after two visits bought in, sold FL, became a half back, been here a year...Works for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,122,573 times
Researching is huge. Make it your part time job, then you won't be spending thousands flying around the country, staying at hotels and renting cars. When you have it narrowed down to a couple of places then travel there, spend some time and see if it's a good fit.
Everyone has different priorities. Mine don't seem to be very common to most retirees.

-No extreme weather such as long very cold winters with lots of snow and no very hot summers where you have several months in the 90s or over 100 everyday.
-No brown. I want green around me and I want it to rain occasionally at least. I'm tired to death of the desert.
-Low crime is a very high priority
-demographics of where ever you are thinking of moving to. I would prefer a place where almost half the population are not teenagers
-A smallish quaint town within easy driving distance of a larger city
-Being able to purchase a small affordable home near a downtown area and not have a mortgage payment.
-I'm not one for moving around. I want my next house (retirement) to be my last.

Last edited by marino760; 01-08-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 02:05 PM

1,924 posts, read 989,259 times
I guess I moved blindly, but I didn't realize it at the time. My most pressing desire was to leave the place I had been living unhappily for 20+ years. I had no ties there.

I moved to the town where I had started college, living in student housing with my children. I loved going to school and you can attend for free in my state after age 60, so my plan was to move back and take some classes.

College had changed so much that I soon abandoned that plan, and I found that without (young) student life, the town was fairly stodgy and traditional. I lived there in a nice rental for 5-6 years before I bought the small house I am living in now.

Before I drove to see this house, I had never been in this area. I got lost going home.

I am very happy now.

The only preparations I made and am continuing to make are getting rid of possessions. If I do move again to where ever I decide to go, I hope I can just sell the house, pack up my truck, and leave.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:10 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
For most and in most circumstances the 'research' is really more about RULING OUT places.

eg: As much as Joe might like a sunny, hot, beachfront place...
the reality is the areas where he can afford to buy don't have any amenities aside from the sand.

Sticking my neck out... most would do well with a modest sized place near where they already live;
where they have friends, know their way around and when it's best to leave for vacation trips.
Then Joe can visit that beach --for a week or two-- and probably enjoy that location more than a resident does.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM

1,322 posts, read 647,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For most and in most circumstances the 'research' is really more about RULING OUT places.

eg: As much as Joe might like a sunny, hot, beachfront place...
the reality is the areas where he can afford to buy don't have any amenities aside from the sand.

Sticking my neck out... most would do well with a modest sized place near where they already live;
where they have friends, know their way around and when it's best to leave for vacation trips.
Then Joe can visit that beach --for a week or two-- and probably enjoy that location more than a resident does.
Where we live, it is snowing and was below zero for over a week. We do not want to be snowbirds. We do want a modest size home where it is warm year round, and lots of activities for retirees. No such thing here

Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,577 posts, read 39,952,759 times
weighted Speadsheet (Musts and wants, during different stages of retirement / 5 yr plans))
included:
  • Taxes
  • COL (food, utilities, car license, insurance (Health, umbrella, car and home))
  • Real Estate markets (Especially resell)
  • Equity gains / risks
  • Transportation
  • Medical
  • Recreation
  • Culture / interests
  • Family
  • Access to airport (for me)
  • Weather (gardening / activities)
  • Aging in place
  • Costs of relocation

included one time costs as well as sustained monthly / annual costs

When visiting...
We stay with locals
stay awhile (house / pet / plant sit during rotten weather)
Ask EVERYONE lots of questions (especially the county assessor and the planning staff and neighbors)
Purpose to engage ALL in questions (libraries, Cafe, hardware store...)
Attend events you would frequent if living there.
Visit your locations during all days / all hours (commute / noise...)

Do the research (communities / finance)

Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,320,905 times
I did actually move to a place I had never stepped foot in before. Basically I wanted a place in or near the Appalachians because I had visited my dad's timeshare for a whole two weeks and immediately had a feeling of being 'at home' in those kinds of surroundings.
I was still working but I wanted to move to my 'retirement dream' so that I could retire in place in my new location.
I researched heavily for about six months (and yes, it was mostly a process of elimination). Then I went and told my boss the general area I had decided on and asked to transfer when the first available opening came up. So it was a little bit of a shot in the dark as to exactly which city I would wind up going to. When I was told where I'd be going I had a few weeks to research even more.
I spent a bit over a month living in temporary housing while I house hunted. I've been here nearly ten years and while I didn't get everything on my 'wish list' I am still happy as can be.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 PM

1,631 posts, read 965,302 times
We were fortunate to be born where we enjoy our life post retirement. We could not afford to buy this home today.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:35 PM

5,946 posts, read 5,302,666 times
I sold everything and drove 2000 miles to a place that I had never been to before. It worked out great.

I checked out everything online. Store ads, political contributions, church bulletins ( I don't go to church but there are things to be learned), restaurant reviews, distance to entertainment and shopping, libraries, and picked the general area I wanted to be in ( a triangle of 3 streets). When I got here I only had to see things in person, where I thought I wanted to be and other similar places in the area. I bought where I thought I wanted to be. From the day I left my old home to closing here was 20 days. My only "must have" was 55+ and a condo.

Home - Sun City, Arizona - The Original Fun City!

Old 01-08-2018, 09:21 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
I don't know about sight unseen, but I see a lot of limited research.

I'm from northeast Tennessee. We get a lot of attention from retirees, many of whom have clearly done next to no research about what it's like to live in the local area. They get this idea of some sort of cross between Andy Griffith and Dolly Parton, but the reality is that most of the folks here are uneducated, unhealthy, unproductive, and incapable of the jobs of today or tomorrow. Many have profound substance abuse problems, mental health problems criminal records, and domestic violence issues.

Retirees often want the following:

1) CHEAP - in all caps, thinking east TN is some sort of cheap haven. We're more expensive than most of the rural and small town Midwest, and depending on where you are, we can easily get as expensive as mainline cities like Charlotte or Indianapolis.

They see the lack of income taxes and pile in here, but our sales tax is roughly 10%. Car insurance is nearly triple on the same vehicle I had in Indiana, same coverage and carrier. The increase in grocery prices over Indiana is substantial. Virtually any consumer good at retail will be more expensive here than in Charlotte, Knoxville, or Indianapolis, due to a lack of selection and competition.

2) Safe. Uh, no - northeast TN is not safe in many rural areas and small towns. Crime data proves otherwise. Some small towns in northeast TN, like Newport, can run with Memphis, St. Louis, and Baltimore in crime rate. Rural areas are often chock full of opiate/meth abuse, property crime related to drugs, and domestic violence. I'd never raise a family here in east TN. With some exceptions, the place is a drug den.

3) Pretty views. Yes, we have them. Lake or river access? You want it? We have it....at a price. Want a modern American house you see in most suburban cities here? Expect to pony up at least half a million. But we can put you up in some crappy 1000 sq. ft bungalow in an undesirable area for $100,000.

Once you get to be affluent enough, you can simply buy your way out of the culture and surround yourself with other affluent retirees from rich areas outside of Tennessee. See Tellico Village. Otherwise, folks are likely going to be disappointed when they get here. I can't imagine moving from a nice place in NoVA or Maryland and coming down here to overdose alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement