Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 AM

723 posts, read 567,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutenfreebyhalia View Post
I've been thinking about the folks that lost their homes in California due to Fire and Flood, as Well as the ones in Texas to hurricanes this year. I'm from VERY Rural Alabama originally and have traveled all over. I've lived here, on the outskirts of Byhalia, MS for the last 12 years and will remain here for my retirement. Our property taxes on our 2500 sq foot house is under $500 year with Homestead Exemption. I'm a Veteran so my health care facility is only 40 minutes away in Memphis, TN. We are in MARSHALL county which does not have the best school reputations which keep land and home prices LOW. However, the schools have IMPROVED over the past decade or so, plus there is a Private School ($230 a month) about a mile from me. I have invested in a "Flip" house about a mile from me that is just about ready to sell, 1029 square foot, 3 bedroom ONE bath on 1.3 acres of land for just $65K, COMPLETELY REFURBISHED. I don't think you can buy an empty LOT in California for that! Low crime too
Oh, but the oppressive heat and humidity - how do you stand it? I would feel like I needed a shower and an ice cold drink (poured over my head) every 10 minutes.

Other than the climate, I think what you have described sounds wonderful. Really, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM

723 posts, read 567,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I must say, the suggestion that a person who wishes to relocate must be running away from something or will never be happy or is searching for an unattainable perfection gets old... I encounter that a lot in my small Midwestern town where no one leaves for generations on end. Some of us just want a change. It's not necessarily symptomatic of some spiritual or emotional malaise...
My motivation to leave OH is 90% economic/5% cultural/5% fresh start.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,071,316 times
Quote:
Again, the "nice long visit renting a place" is obviously the ideal, but it assumes that one has both the time and money to do so. If you've actually done this, how long? Just one place at a time, or did you string numerous possible destinations together (that could take a year or more)? Where you already retired and, if not, how did you finance this long vacation? What did you do with your current home while you were away from it all those months? I've considered buying an RV and scouting out locations that way but, with pets, that's not easy, either.
I'm not retired, but this is how I've handled moves (provided they were in reasonable driving distance) in the past.

Let's say you're in OH. Driving to TN may be most of two days, on the extreme end. Stay in cheap hotels. Not necessarily Super 8, but something under $100/night, doable outside of tourist areas. Eat cheap. Don't do touristy things.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,067,941 times
Quote:

How much and what kind of advance preparation did you make, how did you reach your decision, and what steps did you take to ensure that the plan at which you arrived was truly the best one for you -- or has anyone moved more or less "blindly" and just hoped for the best? If so, how did that go???

Share with us your experiences, good or bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I would never move to a place sight unseen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Some Basic research is highly advisable. Here are a few items that come to mind.

1) Is you income Taxable? Is it SS + your investment returns? If so you may want a state that does not have income tax.
2) Real Estate taxes, are you going to buy or rent? Real Estate prices?
3) Weather (Number 1 on my list) no Snow, no freezing temps?

Hope that Helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
My motivation to leave OH is 90% economic/5% cultural/5% fresh start.
We are definitely in the minority. We not only moved without visiting, but bought our house without seeing it - other than GoogleEarth and some great videos from our realtor. We did begin our search 5 years before our planned retirement.

1. Looked at 4 states based on: income taxes, weather, housing costs. Ruled out all but 1: Tennessee

2. Began looking at homes within our parameters - started in the east, moved our search further west in steps. First, we wanted somewhat level property; 2nd was privacy. As we searched, our price of home changed - downward. We decided that either of us needed to be able to live on our own income comfortably if one of us died.

Probably the biggest factor was this: If we found a property that fit our parameters, and we decided after moving that we were unhappy in the location, we'd sell and move - or rent out and buy somewhere else.

So, after 2 years of looking online, we bought - we didn't see the house until after the closing. We rented it out for 3 years and moved in 5 years ago. We have made changes beginning with a deck and pool. Then we had a bathroom gut, roof, enclosed the carport and we still have a kitchen gut and remodel. But this was all planned and part of the budget. We love our property and are making the house more comfortable for us.

I suppose we could be considered gypsies. Neither of us has ever felt tied to a location and we enjoy new experiences. We joke about moving further south if the weather here doesn't improve. SNOW? We tolerate up to 1" but expect it gone within a day. If I can't sweep off the deck and stairs, it's too much. Freezing temps: ENOUGH. Seriously, we moved south to escape the cold but not so far as to make us melt in the heat. We have been searching places in New Mexico and Texas in the last 6 months. It's interesting to learn about if nothing else. Our kids and grandkids are scattered around the country - from as far west as Colorado to Massachusetts and the Carolinas.

For now, we are both happy with our location and have made friends.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 AM

11,045 posts, read 9,681,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Funny you should mention this...

My sons and I recently took a short vacation to Mammoth Caves National Park in KY. This is a beautiful park with astonishing cave tours and wildlife everywhere. We hiked, toured caves and generally had a fabulous time. The location, I might add, is VERY rural.

One night, we went looking for some breakfast groceries to eat in our lodge room the next day. The nearest town (20-30 minutes drive) had a tiny IGA. It wasn't the cleanest. The cashier was very friendly and welcoming, but the selection was limited, the fresh produce was practically non-existent and not in good shape, and the prices all seemed high.

Both of my kiddos commented on how different this little grocery was compared to the Kroger Superstore we shop in at home. "Imagine having to buy all of your groceries here all the time," my oldest said.

Now, I have been thinking about relocating to WY, and the IGA in the small town I am considering may be my most convenient shopping spot if I do. I am no foodie snob by any means, but I do wonder if I will too much miss the variety, relatively low cost, and quality of the groceries I have ready access to now?

Definitely something to consider, and not something a person would necessarily take note of if you are on a one-week scouting trip and eating at restaurants the whole time.
That's why I say to live like the locals on your scouting trip. Shop in the stores you would shop at, drive to where the doctor's offices or hospital is, find the local library pharmacy, veterinarian, take the drive to the airport, go to the nearest mall or shopping district, see a movie in their theater, go to the nearest Home Depot or Walmart if you might shop there. Eat at home, and eat out. Is there enough variety of restaurants and stores to keep you happy? Is it 30 miles to grocery shop or an hour to buy a pair of shoes? Is the airport 2 hours away? Walk the neighborhood where you might move to simulate walking your pet. Are there sidewalks? Would you feel safe here day or night? What sort of homes are in the area? Do the neighbors seem friendly?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:19 AM

11,045 posts, read 9,681,327 times
Quote:
I must say, the suggestion that a person who wishes to relocate must be running away from something or will never be happy or is searching for an unattainable perfection gets old... I encounter that a lot in my small Midwestern town where no one leaves for generations on end. Some of us just want a change. It's not necessarily symptomatic of some spiritual or emotional malaise...
Yep I was running away from something, lots of somethings actually. High home prices, high taxes, too many people, crazy utility rates, bad air quality, traffic, rudeness, road rage, crime, gangs. Good riddance.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

16,059 posts, read 10,648,447 times
Quote:
I got that a little from folks in my old small town location but what I mostly heard was how "brave" I was to move on my own to a new place. It was like I had some sort of super power to be able to unhitch myself from this Midwestern town and move, alone, to a place with such diversity and different everything ("at your age"). They used the "brave" word repeatedly as if this was something they would want to do but were too cowardly or too stuck in their old comfort zone. Believe me...once you break away and then look back you wonder why you didn't get out of there sooner. Life is short and there are broader horizons than you ever imagined.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 AM

21,716 posts, read 12,769,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I got that a little from folks in my old small town location but what I mostly heard was how "brave" I was to move on my own to a new place. It was like I had some sort of super power to be able to unhitch myself from this Midwestern town and move, alone, to a place with such diversity and different everything ("at your age"). They used the "brave" word repeatedly as if this was something they would want to do but were too cowardly or too stuck in their old comfort zone. Believe me...once you break away and then look back you wonder why you didn't get out of there sooner. Life is short and there are broader horizons than you ever imagined.
I agree that many of the critics are secretly envious!

Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 AM

7,023 posts, read 6,254,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Same here. Folks were even shocked that I would drive 'all the way' from Minnesota to Arizona & stay by myself in motels. They were equally surprised when I made the decision to move here, all by myself.

Considering that I have been single for years, I was surprised that they were surprised. I got a lot of, aren't you scared/worried to go so far from home?

Nope.

They wouldn't think twice about a man doing what I did.

It's worked out great for me so far.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM

10,931 posts, read 11,690,065 times
I just don't understand why retired people want to re-locate. If you are unhappy where you live and think that can be cured by a new location, you may be surprized to find that you had to bring unhappy self along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement