U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:39 AM

6,961 posts, read 3,863,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Always a good idea.

When I first joined the board, we had a woman who came to the meetings and was very vocal about how she didn't think we were managing the money correctly and especially that she thought we could find a better property manager. The property manager has been managing our complex for more than 15 years, knows it inside out, knows the history, comes and does walkarounds that they don't charge us extra for, etc.

There was a vacant spot on the board, and she decided to go for it at the annual meeting. She got a bunch of people to show up at the meeting and they voted her in.

She missed her first board meeting, lol. Totally forgot about it. She missed the second one, too, because she was visiting her son and new grandchild overseas. OK.

When she finally came to a board meeting, she saw the confidential stuff that other homeowners don't see. The list of people who are in arrears with their payments, including those who never pay and whose 15K, 20K, debts we have to write off and just lose because they work the bankruptcy system. She saw how we went for three bids for services like landscaping and snow removal and didn't just pick one because they were somebody's friend. In short, she got to sit in on the world of trying to stuff ten pounds of **** into a five-pound bag and still keep fees to a minimum.

When the property manager's contract was up, we got two other proposals. It was obvious that we were getting great value with the one we already have, and she was the first to vote to renew their contract.

Our regular complainers were mouthing off at the last meeting about how they had voted for her because she promised change but nothing had happened. It was amusing.
Perhaps better communication is called for. The lawyers might have you keeping names of delinquents confidential but a quarterly or annual statement of dollar amounts outstanding should not be a problem. Why would you keep the bid process secret if it causes dissension among the members? Publish bids and results for all to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:59 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,402,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Could you imagine the response if Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. got that e-mail today?

Somebody would have a bunch of well-armed old guys in white wigs knocking vigorously on their door, I do think. They would have some " 'splainin to do...".
Lol. Yeah right after their slaves loaded their guns. These are the guys you really want to hold up??

Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Could you imagine the response if Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. got that e-mail today?

Somebody would have a bunch of well-armed old guys in white wigs knocking vigorously on their door, I do think. They would have some " 'splainin to do...".
Been to Mt Vernon or Monticello? Both are huge mansions/estates - probably Mira-Lago of their day. No means close to what the commoners had. If anything they had a lot of security and people maintaining their gardens, buildings to be the most pleasing of their time. Bad example.

HOAs are bought into by buyers with full knowledge that there are rules/regulations on who to maintain their homes......guns aren't held to the buyers' heads to buy into these communities.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 PM

10,132 posts, read 12,381,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
As another poster mentioned, one benefit of a high HOA fee is it tends to eliminate riff-raff and undesirables.
As I have mentioned our HOA fees are $239/month and among the HOA rules is absolutely no renting or subleasing. To live here you must own it and if you are into real estate investing then buy your property somewhere else. While we are not a >55 community I would guess 80-90% of the residents are >60.

The $239 is the best deal ever in that I never have to shovel snow, rake leaves, mow lawn or worry about any maintenance outside the interior of my walls. Roof leak or anything else the HOA takes care of it.

We also have a community pool which we use to attract the grandchildren.... when it is hot outside they come to grandma's and grandpa's and they are happy to spend the entire day with us... by the pool that I don't have to care for.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

3,732 posts, read 1,470,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's all about what you get for your HOA dollars. Some will do practically nothing and charge you an exorbitant fee. Others provide needed services at a good value.

I live in an area where HOAs aren't popular, especially in the county. The flip side of that is a lot of properties are not maintained well and you end up with a lot of eyesores - appliances on the porch, junk cars in the lawn, cars on blocks, etc.
And how other people live makes your life miserable?

Old 01-12-2018, 02:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,205,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
And how other people live makes your life miserable?
absolutely - when homes are relatively close together and you're subjected to looking at your neighbors' unkempt home has an impact on you (as well as the resale value of your own home).

Old 01-12-2018, 03:02 PM

15,162 posts, read 4,011,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Been to Mt Vernon or Monticello? Both are huge mansions/estates - probably Mira-Lago of their day. No means close to what the commoners had. If anything they had a lot of security and people maintaining their gardens, buildings to be the most pleasing of their time. Bad example.

HOAs are bought into by buyers with full knowledge that there are rules/regulations on who to maintain their homes......guns aren't held to the buyers' heads to buy into these communities.
Jefferson went broke - most of the place was auctioned off. I don't think we should include him in a convo about money.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:08 PM

14,227 posts, read 44,895,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Jefferson went broke - most of the place was auctioned off. I don't think we should include him in a convo about money.
If you guys want to diss Jefferson, and by proxy me, I have only this quote as a reply:

"As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. The best men have always had their share of this treatment, and the more of it in proportion to their different and greater degree of merit. A man, therefore, has some reason to be ashamed of himself when he meets with none of it."

Benjamin Franklin, 1767

Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM

13,324 posts, read 25,288,295 times
Mobile home parks have rules, just like HOA'S. They won't allow you to put up a big steel storage shed, let alone a garage. Check into patio homes and small houses. Also, get on the Tucson Forum and start asking questions. I lived there for 1 1/2 years, and it was very nice.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:21 PM

56,029 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Perhaps better communication is called for. The lawyers might have you keeping names of delinquents confidential but a quarterly or annual statement of dollar amounts outstanding should not be a problem. Why would you keep the bid process secret if it causes dissension among the members? Publish bids and results for all to see.
I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that the bid process was secret. It's not. We have a board-only meeting just before each quarterly meeting, and then the results, which would include any bid process and and decisions made are shared with anyone who comes to the meeting.

EVERY UNIT OWNER gets a statement annually with the actual expenses for that year and the coming year's budget and that includes the information about what we had to write off and what is outstanding.

There are 122 unit owners. Fewer than ten attend the quarterly meetings. Do you think they are reading the paperwork we send them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement