U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 05:23 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,415,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you guys want to diss Jefferson, and by proxy me, I have only this quote as a reply:

"As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. The best men have always had their share of this treatment, and the more of it in proportion to their different and greater degree of merit. A man, therefore, has some reason to be ashamed of himself when he meets with none of it."

Benjamin Franklin, 1767
dude, you brought him up. I'm assuming (and I could totally be wrong) to infer that he would not tolerate hoa's due to some principle about personal freedom. we are just pointing out that perhaps he is not the best example for home ownership or defending freedom.

I don't think anyone is dissing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:26 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,895,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
absolutely - when homes are relatively close together and you're subjected to looking at your neighbors' unkempt home has an impact on you (as well as the resale value of your own home).

Old 01-12-2018, 06:33 PM

10,148 posts, read 12,415,507 times
It is especially nights like tonight that make me happy to be right here where I belong.

It is 23 degrees, snowing, wind blowing out of the north at 22 mph. My phone app is telling me with the wind it "feels like 7 degrees". From reports the roads are all icey and there are fender benders all around.

Supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow and tomorrow morning it is supposed to be 13 degrees.

I have arrived at the point where I don't like to drive at night anymore especially if it is snowy, windy and raining. I am done, I don't have to so I won't. How's that? By tomorrow morning, about the time I have my second cup of coffee, the HOA would have all the snow plowed and sidewalks shoveled. Better them than me. How much is an HOA fee worth when I don't have to take the risk of slipping on the ice and perhaps breaking my hip?

Cars are in the garage and from there they won't move until tomorrow night at the earliest and maybe not even then. At 5:00 we go to church but if we don't go tomorrow we can always go on Sunday.

I remember the blizzard of 78 where my wife and I couldn't leave our apartment for 5 days and that rememberance drives me overboard in preparation for bad weather. We have enough good food to last at least a week, good food as in fresh food, and if we had to we have enough in the pantry and freezer to last two months.

There isn't a whole lot that I desire anymore just a nice, safe, comfortable place to live and my wife. Used to be I functioned well on 6 hours sleep but anymore 10 hours is better and I don't care. I don't even set the alarm clock.

Here's a google photo of our condo community and I marked the window to my loft office. It's my man cave but my wife has taken over 80% of the space for her hobbies. Guess I am lucky to have a corner.

https://i.imgur.com/HA9Zcf8.jpg

There's a total of 22 buildings each having four condo's for a total of 88 units. What sold us on this is everything is one floor level with the exception of the loft which exists in half the units. In the building I am in two units have lofts and two do not.

The way the units are laid out you never really see anyone and with the garages separating two units from the other we never hear any noise from the neighbors. Fact is the way the units are separated we have a lot of privacy and it is seldom you really see anyone close. Lots of trees and green... unfortunately that photo was taken in the fall but it is a lot greener during summer. For the peace of mind I get I would pay double for the HOA fees.

One big difference is the HOA had all the blacktop resurfaced about four months ago so it looks a lot better. You can't see it in the picture but the units are actually on a hill with the ground floor of the units closest in the picture being a solid 20' lower than our ground floor elevation.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM

15,503 posts, read 4,099,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you guys want to diss Jefferson, and by proxy me, I have only this quote as a reply:

"As to the abuses I meet with, I number them among my honors. One cannot behave so as to obtain the esteem of the wise and the good without drawing on oneself at the same time the envy and malice of the foolish and wicked, and the latter is testimony of the former. The best men have always had their share of this treatment, and the more of it in proportion to their different and greater degree of merit. A man, therefore, has some reason to be ashamed of himself when he meets with none of it."

Benjamin Franklin, 1767
Old Ben spent a LOT of his life trying to get free and cheap land from the King - and when he could not, he set himself up in the NEW American government jobs. Was trying to give jobs to his family also.

Jefferson died broke. He partied too much - he loved French Wine and his slave woman who he brought to Paris and, according to DNA and history, probably had a lot of kids with.

Your saying....I have no idea what it means! The key here is don't let Jefferson run your HOA.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:34 PM

15,503 posts, read 4,099,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
dude, you brought him up. I'm assuming (and I could totally be wrong) to infer that he would not tolerate hoa's due to some principle about personal freedom. we are just pointing out that perhaps he is not the best example for home ownership or defending freedom.

I don't think anyone is dissing you.
Ben was one of the first to require expensive fire companies and brick partitions between houses. HOA haters would not like this today....

Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM

7,003 posts, read 3,895,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm sorry, I did not mean to imply that the bid process was secret. It's not. We have a board-only meeting just before each quarterly meeting, and then the results, which would include any bid process and and decisions made are shared with anyone who comes to the meeting.

EVERY UNIT OWNER gets a statement annually with the actual expenses for that year and the coming year's budget and that includes the information about what we had to write off and what is outstanding.

There are 122 unit owners. Fewer than ten attend the quarterly meetings. Do you think they are reading the paperwork we send them?
I'm one who like maximum information and minimum BS; in your position I'd certainly be pointing out to any rabble rousers that the information they ignore is out there before everyone gets their blood pressure spiking. Certainly there are many tales of HOAs that are not so forthcoming with information, even when the law requires it.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 AM

1,302 posts, read 604,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is no house across from my house. The closest house is a 1/2 mile away.

My house is back from the road and is not visible from the pavement.

Why would you live anywhere that you had to see and hear neighbors?
I like having neighbors. I grew up with neighbors. I feel a greater degree of security with neighbors. Shopping and emergency services are minutes away. I would never want to live in a remote spot. Different strokes........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement