U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:53 AM

2,215 posts, read 743,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I went to a Board meeting one time, and discovered the last HOA board had absconded with close to a million dollars over the years, and the current Board was trying to recoup some of the money and press charges, but nothing ever became of it. There's some shifty thieves that can make their way onto these Boards.

When I first bought here 21 years ago, it was largely an owner occupied townhouse community, and with the real estate crash, the investor owned units are now up to 60%, and rising. The treasurer says that a good number of the investors reside in Hawaii! Of course, that's happening everywhere!

After my Medicare deduction, I net out at $1060 a month, and that HOA fee I'll use for other purposes.

With the graying of America, and the world, it really doesn't matter where you live today, as a number of seniors will be there in that community, just like the townhouse complex I'm in, which is not a 55+ community, as many of my neighbors are seniors. It's unlikely you'll move into a community with just families and children.

Any number of these mobile home communities, where you own the land, you still have HOA dues. I was looking at Tucson Estates, a 55+ 1600 mobile home community, where you own the land, when down there 5-6 years ago, and the HOA dues were only $60 a month, and checking recently, it has gone up to $131. Why? Because there's a big golf course in the community, and with rising water bills, should it be surprising? And? I've never played Golf, no desire to play it, so why am I subsidizing the golfers? Just like the pools I don't use in my complex, why not raise the dues on those that use them?

When you buy into an HOA community you buy into the whole thing, not optional amenities.
If you don't want any amenities then look for a place with no amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Regardless of where you chose to live your budget has to consider inflation as all of your costs can increase and even double in your retirement years.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse, and I can see what will be coming in my retirement years, more and more increases. I have no idea how retirees can pay some of these outlandish HOA fees I see in some real estate sites, and bet on it, they'll be going up and up, throwing your budget out of whack and being forced to do some cutbacks elsewhere in your budget.

This was just the kick I needed to rethink my retirement home.

I've been looking at some Mobile Homes in Tucson which aren't in a HOA community, and even though I dislike the whole idea of living in a Mobile, I'll be celebrating the fact I'm no longer paying HOA dues.

I can fetch roughly $125k for my townhouse, and when I see a newer Mobile for $39.9k in a newer area of Tucson, out comes the calculator. I'd be lost without a garage, but with the savings, I could easily afford to add a big garage or big steel building for $10k or less. And enough money to even buy a new car.

There's 2 pools to maintain in my townhouse complex, and? I've never used them! So why am I subsidizing others using the pools, or the tennis courts? And pool maintenance can be a big item in any HOA budget!

Anyone else fed up with increasing HOA fees or HOA fees too high and are reconsidering going HOA free, and thinking: Damn the Torpedoes!
Because that is what you signed up to do when you bought that townhouse.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ I know someone in prison in the midwest for what you mention. The hoa didn't collect the money, he had a business that ddi with coustomer all over the country. I've never lived where the HOA itself collected the money.

I live in Vegas, NO WAY would I live here with out a GUARD gated HOA.

I'm not just talking a gated HOA. One with GUARDS roving the development 24/7. Beeen here long enough to know someone will come in and say a gated doesn't matter to criminals. (Nonreader or thinker.) They are correct cause everyones give the gate code to out to their friends, pizza guy.

I'm talking a place that is like a prison to get into. Check your ID, people who do blue collar work are vetted for licenses. If you don't have any business being here, I don't want you near my home.

Actually get a discount on my homeowners insurance for this.
I've lived in this non-gated community 21 years without any incidents, except when I stupidly left a leather jacket in the front seat of my car on the street, 15 years ago. They broke the window to get the jacket!

I know this isn't Mexico, or the Philippines, but down there you don't even trust the guards at gated communities as they'll tip off their rip-off friends when an owner is going on vacation for a week or 2, and?

As if that couldn't happen here!

I used to do massage, and I finally stopped going to these super gated communities as it was too much hassle getting in.

And, all across the country, gated communities alike, you have investor owned properties within these communities, and how screened are these tenants?

Old 01-09-2018, 10:52 AM

17,403 posts, read 21,244,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
When you buy into an HOA community you buy into the whole thing, not optional amenities.
If you don't want any amenities then look for a place with no amenities.
21 years ago I was ready to try townhouse living, and every townhouse complex I looked at had similar amenities! What choice did I have?

The townhouse complex adjacent to my townhouse complex filled in their pool, no more pool, and? The HOA dues weren't lowered even one dollar, as I know someone that lives there!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
21 years ago I was ready to try townhouse living, and every townhouse complex I looked at had similar amenities! What choice did I have?

The townhouse complex adjacent to my townhouse complex filled in their pool, no more pool, and? The HOA dues weren't lowered even one dollar, as I know someone that lives there!
There's always a choice. So you lived there for 21 years and had no problem with HOA fees but do now ?
Seems like you had a good run so just move on.

But there are going to be a number of things you never worried about that you will have to take care of yourself out of pocket.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Love HOA’s and wouldn’t buy a home without one.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Love HOA’s and wouldn’t buy a home without one.
I've lived in SFH's for about 25 years now. Ready to move on and looking at condo's with HOA fees as I'm about ready to let someone else take care of everything which gives me more free time.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,472,028 times
Most financial advisors will tell you that seniors and HOAs are not a good combination because the rates always increase and they can toss you out for non-payment faster than a bank can. My DH was on a BOD and saw it happen, they are a blood thirsty bunch who often spend your money on their interests. While we were in an HOA the fees went from $150 to nearly $400 so don't get too confident about today's rate. Google: What HOA won't tell you to see the horror.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 591,817 times
I swim and gladly pay the HOA fees to be able to walk to the pool for laps. However, I have no interest in playing golf or supporting a golf course. Pool is a positive, golf course is a negative...for me. Each person decides what is important to them and should buy accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement