U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I swim and gladly pay the HOA fees to be able to walk to the pool for laps. However, I have no interest in playing golf or supporting a golf course. Pool is a positive, golf course is a negative...for me. Each person decides what is important to them and should buy accordingly.
my HOA fees have nothing to do with the golf courses running through the community - the members pay for that amenity through their membership dues -

if you're not interested in using amenities (ie don't exercise in fitness classes, don't swim, don't use clubhouse) you'd be better off living in a non-HOA type community -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 01:27 PM

14,299 posts, read 45,030,911 times
Have never lived in HOA "community" and have no intention of ever doing so.

Now we live out in the country, neighbors are far enough away that I can afford to not care what they do, what color they paint their house, how they park their car, how they handle their trash cans.

IMHO the way it should be. Somewhere, Thomas Jefferson approves.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times
not related to HOA fees, but rather their rules - a few HOAs give the thousands of other well functioning HOAs a bad reputation

California HOA mandates residents keep garage doors open, or pay $200 fine | Bradenton Herald

Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

10,149 posts, read 12,420,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I pay over $500/mo. It's an expense that I'm budgeted for. It includes the insurance of the external shell of my home (insurance is expensive in FL), gated security, all the water I care to use (an expensive utility in FL), basic cable, fitness center amenity ($50-60/mo usually), five different pools (indoor/outdoor), tennis courts, house painting every 5 or so years, basic lawn/scrub/palm tree maintenance around the home, a shuttle bus around the community and nearby community. Also money is placed in a reserve for large projected projects. My 17 yr old home had a new roof placed on it along w/ the other units in my subdivision with reserve funds.

If you add most of that up individually, they all add up. I fully use most of the amenities (except shuttle - maybe when I know longer drive) - I get my money's worth I feel.

It's the price that I pay for security and an immaculate peaceful community.

The HOA is creeping up each year, as I expect. (5%) Not sure what it'll be in 10-20 yrs. I'm sure it'll hurt home sales as it rises. Guess I'll use my Social Security benefit down the road to pay the fee.
I am $239/month and it is a bargain.

The exterior shell of my condo is covered by the HOA fee and I do not want to spend $15,000 on a new roof because that is covered under the HOA fee. My personal homeowners insurance is literally next to nothing. Not much difference than renters insurance.

Water and trash removal is included in my HOA fee.

Snow and ice last week and I do not have to deal with it. At 70 I don't think you need to be shoveling on the ice in fear of a fall.

And we have the landscaping which is excellent and well cared for along with the swimming pool.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:53 PM
DKM

2,855 posts, read 1,024,641 times
You have to have an HOA with townhomes and condos with shared walls. That's sort of lame to blame HOA's for the cons of living in a shared environment. The property and its costs must be shared, thus the HOA. Totally different than choosing to live or not live in a HOA with SFH's.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:54 PM

23,973 posts, read 8,363,927 times
HOA's will continue to rise. What is not rising?

There are some very nice mobile home parks out there.

I had a friend in San Luis Obispo who owned a double wide and it was just great. If one didn't know it was a mobile home, they would think a nice smaller house, but it was not that small. That was yrs ago and today, the price I'm sure is HIGHer...

Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM

29,884 posts, read 34,945,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You have to have an HOA with townhomes and condos with shared walls. That's sort of lame to blame HOA's for the cons of living in a shared environment. The property and its costs must be shared, thus the HOA. Totally different than choosing to live or not live in a HOA with SFH's.
I am on the board of our condo at the beach. We just had a fee increase that was wanted and welcomed by folks who want things kept up.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:03 PM

13,908 posts, read 25,382,379 times
What does your HOA do for you? Add up the benefits VS the monthly expense to get a clear picture. If you have no HOA do you then have to pay for your own garbage/water, etc?

That said I specifically shopped for a home with no HOA. But that also means I pay for everything and I had to shell out some big dollars for a new roof last year.

Another thing you can do is get on the HOA board yourself so you can vote against increases and help look for ways to provide services for less money.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:17 PM

6,888 posts, read 3,901,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I went to a Board meeting one time, and discovered the last HOA board had absconded with close to a million dollars over the years, and the current Board was trying to recoup some of the money and press charges, but nothing ever became of it. There's some shifty thieves that can make their way onto these Boards.

When I first bought here 21 years ago, it was largely an owner occupied townhouse community, and with the real estate crash, the investor owned units are now up to 60%, and rising. The treasurer says that a good number of the investors reside in Hawaii! Of course, that's happening everywhere!

After my Medicare deduction, I net out at $1060 a month, and that HOA fee I'll use for other purposes.

With the graying of America, and the world, it really doesn't matter where you live today, as a number of seniors will be there in that community, just like the townhouse complex I'm in, which is not a 55+ community, as many of my neighbors are seniors. It's unlikely you'll move into a community with just families and children.

Any number of these mobile home communities, where you own the land, you still have HOA dues. I was looking at Tucson Estates, a 55+ 1600 mobile home community, where you own the land, when down there 5-6 years ago, and the HOA dues were only $60 a month, and checking recently, it has gone up to $131. Why? Because there's a big golf course in the community, and with rising water bills, should it be surprising? And? I've never played Golf, no desire to play it, so why am I subsidizing the golfers? Just like the pools I don't use in my complex, why not raise the dues on those that use them?

When I was young I rented an apt with a pool, which I didn't use. My rent was the same as those who did use it. I could have lived in a cheaper place with no pool. My choice was the apt with the pool. My neighbor never used his oven, just ate out. His choice. Thankfully, everyone used their showers.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM

14,041 posts, read 7,483,637 times
My townhouse condo at the ski resort has $5K per year in condo fees, $3K per year in property taxes, and $400 in insurance. That includes cable TV, plowing, lawn care, water, and all the exterior building maintenance.

My single family home on the coast has $2,500 in property taxes and $1,400 in insurance. I just completely remodeled so building maintenance should be pretty minimal for the next 25 years and then I'll be too old to care.

All-in, the condo probably costs double what the house costs in ownership costs for similar square footage. I won't own the condo forever. That frees up the capital and lets me redirect that cash to doing something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement