U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 1,414,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
HOA's will continue to rise. What is not rising?

There are some very nice mobile home parks out there.

I had a friend in San Luis Obispo who owned a double wide and it was just great. If one didn't know it was a mobile home, they would think a nice smaller house, but it was not that small. That was yrs ago and today, the price I'm sure is HIGHer...
lol, that's what I don't understand, where are all you folks living where the stuff you purchased 5, 7, 10 years ago cost the same?

Heck, I'm looking for a new stove. the price of stoves are ridiculous IMO now. definitely not what the were 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 05:47 PM

23,920 posts, read 8,346,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, that's what I don't understand, where are all you folks living where the stuff you purchased 5, 7, 10 years ago cost the same?

Heck, I'm looking for a new stove. the price of stoves are ridiculous IMO now. definitely not what the were 10 years ago.
Nothing costs the same. I live in a rent control apt and rent goes up every year regardless. Speaking of stoves, the range in my apt is probably the original stove that came with the apt when it was built in 1948..it's a OKeefe Merritt and would not trade it for the world. The oldies but goodies...they go forever.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:06 PM

7,003 posts, read 3,895,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Just to help illustrate the puffed-up silliness of HOA's and their Regulations......

We live in a Single Family Home on a Golf Course. The HOA Fee is a reasonable $350 per year and that gets you access to the Pool and covers the maintenance around the lakes. All Good.

We've had a pretty good snowfall around here this past week, the first big dose of snow in 28 years. Our HOA did very little to clear the roadways. It was a mess for 3 days.

They did, however, find time to send email to residents stating "All non-approved snow features must be removed from front yards by Tuesday 1/16."

These folks had not seen significant snow in a generation. They were all out there having fun -- one family with a Carolina Panthers flag on their garage built a 5-foot replica of the Super Bowl Trophy. Another group built a good size Snowman (they must be experienced transplants from up North). We went out to Lunch yesterday, on the way back we saw one of our neighbors trying to put their "Snow Feature" on a makeshift skid to get it out of the front yard !!

The upshot is.....it was 60 degrees yesterday, and it's supposed to hit 70 today. By sundown, all traces of snow will be gone.
And were they able to cite the appropriate regulation to support their little edict or are you expected to simply comply with their whims? My guess is that in South Carolina it would be quite a longshot for snowmen, et al to have been anticipated.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:44 PM

2,697 posts, read 1,508,309 times
plus you have idiots like these people:

HOA tells residents they must keep their garage doors open — or face a $200 fine

Old 01-09-2018, 06:50 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,368,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
the range in my apt is probably the original stove that came with the apt when it was built in 1948..it's a OKeefe Merritt and would not trade it for the world.

Ooohh nice!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:55 PM

1,083 posts, read 576,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
^^^ I know someone in prison in the midwest for what you mention. The hoa didn't collect the money, he had a business that ddi with coustomer all over the country. I've never lived where the HOA itself collected the money.

I live in Vegas, NO WAY would I live here with out a GUARD gated HOA.

I'm not just talking a gated HOA. One with GUARDS roving the development 24/7. Beeen here long enough to know someone will come in and say a gated doesn't matter to criminals. (Nonreader or thinker.) They are correct cause everyones give the gate code to out to their friends, pizza guy.

I'm talking a place that is like a prison to get into. Check your ID, people who do blue collar work are vetted for licenses. If you don't have any business being here, I don't want you near my home.

Actually get a discount on my homeowners insurance for this.
You mention someone in prison. Sounds to me like your neighborhood is a prison.

To each their own. I would never, in a trillion years, buy a home in an HOA neighborhood. My neighborhood doesn't have one and is immaculate. One of the more established neighborhoods in town, I don't pay a penny for HOA and never have to worry about some wannabe cop or busybody bored housewife telling me what I can and can't do with the property I own.

Same thing as renting and answering to a leasing office as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:27 PM

9,024 posts, read 7,791,206 times
HOA's fee are dependent on what you are getting for them. Some are good deals, some are not. My HOA consists of small standalone, private homes and our dues include all exterior landscaping. One reason I purchased here was we have no amenities such as pool, tennis, etc. This hold the cost down. My dues are $50 per month.

The OP knew there was a pool when he bought and now he complains. I bet he is the type that complains about real estate taxes saying why should I pay for schools when I do not have kids in the school system.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:31 PM

2,631 posts, read 1,944,656 times
In the past 4 years our HOA dues went from 185 to 200, and now, to 230/month. It sat at 170/month for at least 10 years before that. It doesn't bother me; I can afford it, but this is an over 55 community and many of these people are on fixed incomes, already stretched by inflation. Their SS-Medicare income hasn't increased a penny. So, some reluctantly have to move out.

The reasons given for the dues increase are what gets me. Water keeps getting jacked up here because of a drought (it's a desert - it's been in a drought forever, but this sits over the second largest aquifer in N. America). So they raise water rates (about every 3 or 4 years like clockwork) and yell "conserve or else" yet over 450 NEW housing units will be built in this valley in the next year! Whatever happened to "I was here first"? If they'd do a moratorium on new units being constructed, we wouldn't have to worry about water and, our real estate values would increase strictly on the law of supply & demand. I mention this to people around here and I get these vacant stares.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:00 PM

4,556 posts, read 5,484,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
What does your HOA do for you? Add up the benefits VS the monthly expense to get a clear picture. If you have no HOA do you then have to pay for your own garbage/water, etc?

That said I specifically shopped for a home with no HOA. But that also means I pay for everything and I had to shell out some big dollars for a new roof last year.

Another thing you can do is get on the HOA board yourself so you can vote against increases and help look for ways to provide services for less money.
In our experience we saw many truly honest homeowners get on the BOD only to be run off by the "group think" gang protecting their many secrets. I wish it were as simplistic as just getting on the BOD but that is only the beginning as you need others to vote with you.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,053,088 times
My POA must get voter approval before they can raise the rates. They tried to get approval maybe 3 years ago and were voted down. Maybe two years ago they got approval for a small increase but only with the agreement that the money goes to deferred maintenance and they give us a list of what they did each year. No salary increase, etc. with the POA dues increase. And they had to remove the use fee for the pools and miniature golf to get the increase approved.

The fee is less than $250 a year. We have a seasonal outdoor pool, year round indoor pool, miniature golf, 3 lakes, a beach area, marina, 2 recreation centers, golf (with additional fees to use), and security officers who patrol and are county sheriff deputies so they can arrest, etc.

They can be a pain in the ....especially the architecture committee. But they are trying to keep everybody happy and apply the rules, with their limited, undeveloped social skills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement