U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 09:03 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times

Advertisements

I pay $200 a year and it is worth every penny.

I have been to a good number of Las Vegas non-HOA neighborhoods looking for investment properties that would convice me that HOA feew are a necessary evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 PM

21,539 posts, read 44,018,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Regardless of where you chose to live your budget has to consider inflation as all of your costs can increase and even double in your retirement years.
This is exactly correct. My lifestyle changed not an iota when I retired. Still in the same house, and my expenses in retirement are not one dime less than when I worked. Actually, I am spending more every year - to date this has grown to about 40% more annually since I retired eight years ago. I could very easily see the original number doubled in another eight years. What I don't spend on auto/transportation is now spent on home maintenance. As it is, I budget $600 mo. for maintenance. I would happily pay that in exchange for never again having to locate and contract with a roofer, painter, plumber, landscaper, handyman, HVAC, etc. Reading this thread makes me want to look into an HOA.

I do a budget spreadsheet each year to which is added an inflation adjustment of least 6% in many categories - cable, utilities, insurance - the things you can't control.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-09-2018 at 09:53 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 12:08 AM

6,623 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse, and I can see what will be coming in my retirement years, more and more increases. I have no idea how retirees can pay some of these outlandish HOA fees I see in some real estate sites, and bet on it, they'll be going up and up, throwing your budget out of whack and being forced to do some cutbacks elsewhere in your budget.

This was just the kick I needed to rethink my retirement home.

I've been looking at some Mobile Homes in Tucson which aren't in a HOA community, and even though I dislike the whole idea of living in a Mobile, I'll be celebrating the fact I'm no longer paying HOA dues.

I can fetch roughly $125k for my townhouse, and when I see a newer Mobile for $39.9k in a newer area of Tucson, out comes the calculator. I'd be lost without a garage, but with the savings, I could easily afford to add a big garage or big steel building for $10k or less. And enough money to even buy a new car.

There's 2 pools to maintain in my townhouse complex, and? I've never used them! So why am I subsidizing others using the pools, or the tennis courts? And pool maintenance can be a big item in any HOA budget!

Anyone else fed up with increasing HOA fees or HOA fees too high and are reconsidering going HOA free, and thinking: Damn the Torpedoes!
I own a house w/o an HOA.

If you have a mobile home, consider that you will have to pay monthly rental for the lot (just like an HOA), unless you own the land.

Your HO insurance will be high.

I rented a mobile home once for a year. They are not built like house or built to last. They start falling apart and require a lot of maintenance. Some of the bldg items in them aren't regular things...you have to buy them specifically for mobile homes. The one I was in had a storm door. To replace it, you'd have to buy a storm door made for mobile homes.

Mobile homes are more susceptible to weather extremes, but maybe Tucson doesn't have those.

I wouldn't recommend anyone own a mobile home, unless he can't afford anything else. It would be better to own a real house. Although I can see the attraction of a pretty mobile home w/all new appliances and such. Go look at a few of them that are 10 and 20 years old, though, to see what they look like.

They used to be unhealthy to live in because of all the chemicals used in making them, but maybe that is better these days.

I had an HOA for a condo long ago and would not want an HOA again. They go up and up and up. On top of that, there can be special assessments. And all the rules. Can't paint your trim and door certain colors (normal colors, but not approved for the complex), etc. Horrible.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 AM

17,402 posts, read 21,244,496 times
^^^

Yes, indeed, overlooked by so many are special assessments, in addition to the HOA fees, but I've only have one over the 21 years to the tune of $1800.

I will absolutely not buy a mobile with any HOA dues, and there's several to choose from in the Tucson area, and there are few with just very low HOA dues, like $25-50, but, even then, I want to avoid that. That $162 a month I'll save I can put towards a car/lease payment. As far as quality of construction, I'm close to the oldest mobile home community in Las Vegas, and walk through there you see the old mobiles that are only 8-10 feet wide and 30 feet long, and 50-60 years later they're still there!

I'm also looking at large storage sheds, steel buildings to add as well, and I'm amazed how cheap they are to buy and erect.

And am I the only worried about the falling fertility rates in the world, like Mexico's 2.2 fertility rate, the 2 child family system sweeping the world? The lack of cheap immigrant labor to keep costs down? And, will robots be able to do all that maintenance down the road, or the landscaping?

Old 01-10-2018, 04:19 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
^^^

Yes, indeed, overlooked by so many are special assessments, in addition to the HOA fees, but I've only have one over the 21 years to the tune of $1800.

I will absolutely not buy a mobile with any HOA dues, and there's several to choose from in the Tucson area, and there are few with just very low HOA dues, like $25-50, but, even then, I want to avoid that. That $162 a month I'll save I can put towards a car/lease payment. As far as quality of construction, I'm close to the oldest mobile home community in Las Vegas, and walk through there you see the old mobiles that are only 8-10 feet wide and 30 feet long, and 50-60 years later they're still there!

I'm also looking at large storage sheds, steel buildings to add as well, and I'm amazed how cheap they are to buy and erect.

And am I the only worried about the falling fertility rates in the world, like Mexico's 2.2 fertility rate, the 2 child family system sweeping the world? The lack of cheap immigrant labor to keep costs down? And, will robots be able to do all that maintenance down the road, or the landscaping?
Let me get on that right away, Gotta send a letter to emerging market countries and tell them to forget their economic development and stability. Gonna strongly tell them they need to encourage folks to have more kids then they can afford so they can provide us with cheap labor. But wait how do they get in the country to work?

As labor costs go us so will the costs of goods and services. We are making strides in the country increasing wages if the latest data continues. We need to realize that will mean increased costs including HOA fees for home maintenance regardless of HOA or not. Low unemployment means wage growth and the resulting increase in costs for the use of labor.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:32 AM

7,101 posts, read 3,461,680 times
Never lived in an HOA and never will. I just don't like rules.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 AM

304 posts, read 165,730 times
Quote:
^^^

I don't have any good reasons to tell a retiree to not consider a mobile home. Only, if you're worried about rising rates, mobile home parks are notorious for rate increases. You might find plenty of parks with low rates now, but that can change fast. I think if you're struggling to pay an extra $27 a year ($2.25 a month!), then it would be quite easy to hit the same troubles elsewhere. I suppose a number cheaper mortgage might offset these things, but then mobile homes have special maintenance needs that can get costly.

Quote:
As for this, yes its a problem in developed and developing countries, which is why so many look to immigration to ease their financial and economic concerns. Not to make attacks, but Baby Boomers probably should have thought twice about it before they robbed us all of our economic future. We'll all pay for your retirement and have none left over for ourselves. Automation is definitely the way of the future, though quite a ways to go before it gets to routine home maintenance. You'll see most of it in low wage jobs at first (cashiers going the way of self checkouts, burger flippers becoming automated, etc, the poor will suffer first and the most). It's going to be a long painful ride to post capitalism.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 AM

12,508 posts, read 4,227,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Some people always seem to be victims in life. "They" who raised the HOA fees are YOUR home owners association. When you bought into this neighborhood you decided to go with the collective wisdom on how to spend the fees and how much they should be. If you want to sell and move to a cheap trailer camp in the desert, that is your decision. Don't blame the situation on others. You only make your previous decisions sound unwise.
Winner.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 AM

1,249 posts, read 590,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
You mention someone in prison. Sounds to me like your neighborhood is a prison.

To each their own. I would never, in a trillion years, buy a home in an HOA neighborhood. My neighborhood doesn't have one and is immaculate. One of the more established neighborhoods in town, I don't pay a penny for HOA and never have to worry about some wannabe cop or busybody bored housewife telling me what I can and can't do with the property I own.

Same thing as renting and answering to a leasing office as far as I'm concerned.

But you have the perfect solution, don't you? If you don't want to live by certain rules don't buy into an HOA community. If you like the rules, buy into one. The biggest problem are the people who buy into an HOA neighborhood and then assert they don't want "some wannabe cop or busybody bored housewife telling me what I can and can't do with the property I own."

Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,638,569 times
Quote:
I've lived in this non-gated community 21 years without any incidents, except when I stupidly left a leather jacket in the front seat of my car on the street, 15 years ago. They broke the window to get the jacket!

I know this isn't Mexico, or the Philippines, but down there you don't even trust the guards at gated communities as they'll tip off their rip-off friends when an owner is going on vacation for a week or 2, and?

As if that couldn't happen here!

I used to do massage, and I finally stopped going to these super gated communities as it was too much hassle getting in.

And, all across the country, gated communities alike, you have investor owned properties within these communities, and how screened are these tenants?

People paint Hoa's with a flat brush as if every one is equal.

Our HOA only lets 10% percent of the community rent. So we have few renters. This is not an investment area for flippers, it's set up and kept as a home community. People know that when they buy in here, its in the HOA documents.. How many guard gated communities do you see investment houses in with tenant moving in and out? We have had a few celebrities rent for a short time while they had their homes built or they had business in the area. They weren't the kind that have to watch what they pay for rent etc.

Most of the homes, are too expensive to be rented out cheaply. If they are rented, the tenants are background & financially checked out. Not only does the owner of the unit have to pay the HOA dues, so does the tenant. So they have to add that on to the cost of living here. Riff Raff can't afford to rent here, nor would they pass the background check. We don't have squatters ever. Some homes are empty parts of the year as the owners have another home in another country or part of the US. And they can afford the house to sit empty, or hire house sitters. Some homes are bought and rarely used in annticipation of a future move.
The owner has to pay a fee to the HOA, to even move in.

We have very little crime here. Maybe 2 hits per year. Always people who don't have an alarm system. We have our own safety group in addition to the guards. Many of us have lived her 10 + years. We all know each other and watch out for each other.

Too many homes for rent in an area, hurts property values. Some areas of Las Vegas are like this. I have a neighbor who owns several homes in Vegas bought around the peak of pricing. None are in Hoa's like this. He says these home will never see what he paid for them and taking care of them is a full time job.
Constant issues with tenants, breakins, tenants moving out a ripping out cabinenets etc. There are much easier ways to make money than owning a bunch of homes. Been there done that, with commercial property too.

I don't use the pools, that is my choice. This is a community. The dues we pay, we consider it a cost of keeping our property values high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement