U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 10:28 AM

56,410 posts, read 54,802,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Some people always seem to be victims in life. "They" who raised the HOA fees are YOUR home owners association. When you bought into this neighborhood you decided to go with the collective wisdom on how to spend the fees and how much they should be. If you want to sell and move to a cheap trailer camp in the desert, that is your decision. Don't blame the situation on others. You only make your previous decisions sound unwise.
Thank you. I am on my condo board. People who look at us as a "they" crack me up. We are YOU.

We volunteer to be on the board for the pure joy of having you never come to the meetings, never read the budget or the expense sheets to understand how the money is spent, but just complain that someone is misspending your money, isn't it?

Then we get those two idiots who do come to every meeting to curse at us and call us names and complain about everything. When the complaints are valid and we do something about them, they still complain, sometimes stupidly. LOL, we recently had trees that use a lot of water planted in the common area behind one building because they complained that after rain, water stayed in a low-lying area for a day or two. There were no drainage options, so we talked to the landscaper and decided to plant the trees. The two idiots then complained that--get this--they should have been asked about the trees before we had them planted because it is "their" backyard. (It is not. It is common area.) Their fear is that the trees will grow so tall that they will be in danger of falling on their units and damaging the roof.

Both these men are in their 70s. Their grandchildren will be in nursing homes before these trees are bigger than their roofs. You can't make this stuff up.

Our HOA fee is $280 a month. 24% of that is to insure the buildings. When I've told my neighbors that, they looked at me as if I had two heads. It apparently never occurred to them that they needed to pay for the insurance of the buildings in the complex they bought into. I guess somebody else was going to pay for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM

304 posts, read 167,447 times
I just want to know where these so-called mobile home parks without rental or HOA fees exist.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM

1,567 posts, read 782,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse, and I can see what will be coming in my retirement years, more and more increases. I have no idea how retirees can pay some of these outlandish HOA fees I see in some real estate sites, and bet on it, they'll be going up and up, throwing your budget out of whack and being forced to do some cutbacks elsewhere in your budget.

This was just the kick I needed to rethink my retirement home.

I've been looking at some Mobile Homes in Tucson which aren't in a HOA community, and even though I dislike the whole idea of living in a Mobile, I'll be celebrating the fact I'm no longer paying HOA dues.

I can fetch roughly $125k for my townhouse, and when I see a newer Mobile for $39.9k in a newer area of Tucson, out comes the calculator. I'd be lost without a garage, but with the savings, I could easily afford to add a big garage or big steel building for $10k or less. And enough money to even buy a new car.

There's 2 pools to maintain in my townhouse complex, and? I've never used them! So why am I subsidizing others using the pools, or the tennis courts? And pool maintenance can be a big item in any HOA budget!

Anyone else fed up with increasing HOA fees or HOA fees too high and are reconsidering going HOA free, and thinking: Damn the Torpedoes!
Space rentals in mobile home parks continue to increase as well, especially in thriving areas where property taxes for the mobile home park owners increase every few years. Have you considered purchasing a small improved property somewhere and putting a mobile or small modular on it? Property taxes should be fairly cheap and, if you live in a state that freezes property taxes at 65, you won't be saddled with tax increases when you retire.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM

14,299 posts, read 45,030,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Could you imagine the response if Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. got that e-mail today?

Somebody would have a bunch of well-armed old guys in white wigs knocking vigorously on their door, I do think. They would have some " 'splainin to do...".

Old 01-10-2018, 01:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Could you imagine the response if Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, etc. got that e-mail today?

Somebody would have a bunch of well-armed old guys in white wigs knocking vigorously on their door, I do think. They would have some " 'splainin to do...".
Those folks had slaves working for them and huge estates - the comparison is ridiculous. I bought into an HOA so that idiots can't park their cars on their lawns, paint their homes purple, and graze sheep in their backyards. All these things are being done in communities nearby, miles from where I live.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:33 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Very infrequently do you have HOAs like this. Thousands of HOAs in my state, and you'll get stories like this in a blue moon. My 10,000 population HOA seem to be going strong - has been since the 1970s.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:43 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,030,716 times
You just have to weigh in what the HOA pays for. I’m not adverse to paying it if it helps keep the place I live in attractive, working condition and provides what attracted me to buy there in the first place.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM

9,041 posts, read 7,799,875 times
Many think their association cannot raise yearly dues without their approval including many of my own association members including two of my BOD Members. They are wrong.

In our case, the BOD can rise the dues any amount we want to. We have to notify owners of such on or before 12/01 to become effective 01/01. The owners can call a Special Meeting on or before 12/31 but it will require 2/3rds of all (I repeat, all) owners to disapprove the increase. If not disapproved by 2/3rds of all members, the increase happens. In our case, 75 of 112 voting to repeal the increase. Even if 74 vote to repeal, it still happens.

Read your documents closely. You may well have the right of rejection but you may well not have the right of approval.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:20 PM

1,093 posts, read 578,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
But you have the perfect solution, don't you? If you don't want to live by certain rules don't buy into an HOA community. If you like the rules, buy into one. The biggest problem are the people who buy into an HOA neighborhood and then assert they don't want "some wannabe cop or busybody bored housewife telling me what I can and can't do with the property I own."
Yes, I do, as I explained. My point was that you don't have to live in an HOA neighborhood to have a beautiful house/street. My neighborhood is a perfect example of that. Everything looks so nice, you'd almost think there is one. But there's not, we all take good care of our houses and yards. I had to park my boat on the side of my house for a month over the summer while I looked for the cheapest storage option. It didn't look great but the point is, I handled it and moved it. I didn't need some bosshog to threaten to fine me to move it; I moved it reasonably quickly because I realized it was an eyesore. But it was my right to keep it there as long as I liked, and that's true homeownership.

And I do agree, it is dumbfounding how people sign on the dotted line and then complain about said HOA.

I just can't stand HOAs, have a huge disdain for them. My dad has a condo with a strict one. I was in a hurry one day and had to stop by there to run in and out, literally 2 minutes. I parked in front of his sidewalk on the street, for two minutes instead of the driveway. He got a threatening letter one day later. It just disgusts me. I was there and gone in literally 120 seconds.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:40 PM

735 posts, read 453,602 times
Hoas-- Those places where all the houses are the same color.

Here is where I swim. That river rock is the size of a three story building

This is my horse

This is where I ride him. Thats 5 adjoining natl forests, total 11780 square miles

This is my security system. A couple of months ago she removed a bear from the yard.

My house and barn are paid off. I did it with $500 a month out of my social security check.
I'm 63. When I get too old to ride I'll just walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement