U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,177,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse, and I can see what will be coming in my retirement years, more and more increases. I have no idea how retirees can pay some of these outlandish HOA fees I see in some real estate sites, and bet on it, they'll be going up and up, throwing your budget out of whack and being forced to do some cutbacks elsewhere in your budget.

This was just the kick I needed to rethink my retirement home.

I've been looking at some Mobile Homes in Tucson which aren't in a HOA community, and even though I dislike the whole idea of living in a Mobile, I'll be celebrating the fact I'm no longer paying HOA dues.

I can fetch roughly $125k for my townhouse, and when I see a newer Mobile for $39.9k in a newer area of Tucson, out comes the calculator. I'd be lost without a garage, but with the savings, I could easily afford to add a big garage or big steel building for $10k or less. And enough money to even buy a new car.

There's 2 pools to maintain in my townhouse complex, and? I've never used them! So why am I subsidizing others using the pools, or the tennis courts? And pool maintenance can be a big item in any HOA budget!

Anyone else fed up with increasing HOA fees or HOA fees too high and are reconsidering going HOA free, and thinking: Damn the Torpedoes!
The choice isn't a binary one between an HOA and a mobile home. There are millions of non-HOA houses in America. In my town the planning bd has indicated there are no HOAs at all, apart from the apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:41 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,177,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Is that lease long enough to reach the water bowl?
I'm pretty sure they own the dog, and are not leasing it.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM

12,126 posts, read 6,702,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Those folks had slaves working for them and huge estates - the comparison is ridiculous. I bought into an HOA so that idiots can't park their cars on their lawns, paint their homes purple, and graze sheep in their backyards. All these things are being done in communities nearby, miles from where I live.
Yes, some people have sheep. You can rent goats to graze too. Why do you care where the car is parked on someone else's property? And house color is just a choice, some people around town do have different house colors and unique designs, lawn sculptures, etc. There is an artsy community that particularly does this. Their property is only increasing in value.

None of the things above are anything compared to having a Big Brother dictate your property rights and make you pay for it.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM

56,148 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I'm pretty sure they own the dog, and are not leasing it.
Hahaha. Good one.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,231,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Why do you care where the car is parked on someone else's property?
Eyesore, degrades the neighborhood. Makes the place look like ****.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,885,423 times
^^^^^ Why I love HOA covenants

Old 01-11-2018, 11:52 AM

512 posts, read 306,354 times
Quote:
Eyesore, degrades the neighborhood. Makes the place look like ****.
As far as I'm concerned it's not even that the car is parked on the lawn, or whatever eyesore is in question. It's the type of person who would casually do something like that without regard or any self-consciousness. They are usually not the kind of peeps I care to live near just for general behavioral reasons

Old 01-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
And house color is just a choice, some people around town do have different house colors and unique designs, lawn sculptures, etc. .
Wouldn't it be awesome to live across the street from this house? Go to work every day, walk to the car, and get a nice glance at your neighbor?

Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
As far as I'm concerned it's not even that the car is parked on the lawn, or whatever eyesore is in question. It's the type of person who would casually do something like that without regard or any self-consciousness. They are usually not the kind of peeps I care to live near just for general behavioral reasons
but you have no choice in who moves in next to you - you work a life time to accumulate your nest egg, you buy what you think is your dream home and some inconsiderate neighbor moves in....and does what he pleases w/ his property.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM

512 posts, read 306,354 times
Quote:
but you have no choice in who moves in next to you - you work a life time to accumulate your nest egg, you buy what you think is your dream home and some inconsiderate neighbor moves in....and does what he pleases w/ his property.
Oh, I definitely agree. We are all held hostage by the lowest common denominator types. Most of us cannot simply build a bigger house on a higher hill so we are always subject to this kind of indirect theft
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement