U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:00 AM

17,462 posts, read 21,304,257 times

Advertisements

They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse, and I can see what will be coming in my retirement years, more and more increases. I have no idea how retirees can pay some of these outlandish HOA fees I see in some real estate sites, and bet on it, they'll be going up and up, throwing your budget out of whack and being forced to do some cutbacks elsewhere in your budget.

This was just the kick I needed to rethink my retirement home.

I've been looking at some Mobile Homes in Tucson which aren't in a HOA community, and even though I dislike the whole idea of living in a Mobile, I'll be celebrating the fact I'm no longer paying HOA dues.

I can fetch roughly $125k for my townhouse, and when I see a newer Mobile for $39.9k in a newer area of Tucson, out comes the calculator. I'd be lost without a garage, but with the savings, I could easily afford to add a big garage or big steel building for $10k or less. And enough money to even buy a new car.

There's 2 pools to maintain in my townhouse complex, and? I've never used them! So why am I subsidizing others using the pools, or the tennis courts? And pool maintenance can be a big item in any HOA budget!

Anyone else fed up with increasing HOA fees or HOA fees too high and are reconsidering going HOA free, and thinking: Damn the Torpedoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,988,304 times
I own my house free and clear in a non-HOA community.

However, that doesn't save me from paying for maintenance. So I put money in a savings account each month to prepare for those unplanned expenses. Perhaps that would be a better solution for you.

I'm not a fan of mobile homes because they depreciate like a used car. Perhaps you could find a small house in Tucson that would meet your budget.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:49 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,277,502 times
I pay over $500/mo. It's an expense that I'm budgeted for. It includes the insurance of the external shell of my home (insurance is expensive in FL), gated security, all the water I care to use (an expensive utility in FL), basic cable, fitness center amenity ($50-60/mo usually), five different pools (indoor/outdoor), tennis courts, house painting every 5 or so years, basic lawn/scrub/palm tree maintenance around the home, a shuttle bus around the community and nearby community. Also money is placed in a reserve for large projected projects. My 17 yr old home had a new roof placed on it along w/ the other units in my subdivision with reserve funds.

If you add most of that up individually, they all add up. I fully use most of the amenities (except shuttle - maybe when I know longer drive) - I get my money's worth I feel.

It's the price that I pay for security and an immaculate peaceful community.

The HOA is creeping up each year, as I expect. (5%) Not sure what it'll be in 10-20 yrs. I'm sure it'll hurt home sales as it rises. Guess I'll use my Social Security benefit down the road to pay the fee.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-09-2018 at 05:16 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 AM

1,371 posts, read 773,574 times
Just to help illustrate the puffed-up silliness of HOA's and their Regulations......

We live in a Single Family Home on a Golf Course. The HOA Fee is a reasonable $350 per year and that gets you access to the Pool and covers the maintenance around the lakes. All Good.

We've had a pretty good snowfall around here this past week, the first big dose of snow in 28 years. Our HOA did very little to clear the roadways. It was a mess for 3 days.

They did, however, find time to send email to residents stating "All non-approved snow features must be removed from front yards by Tuesday 1/16."

These folks had not seen significant snow in a generation. They were all out there having fun -- one family with a Carolina Panthers flag on their garage built a 5-foot replica of the Super Bowl Trophy. Another group built a good size Snowman (they must be experienced transplants from up North). We went out to Lunch yesterday, on the way back we saw one of our neighbors trying to put their "Snow Feature" on a makeshift skid to get it out of the front yard !!

The upshot is.....it was 60 degrees yesterday, and it's supposed to hit 70 today. By sundown, all traces of snow will be gone.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:08 AM

23,732 posts, read 17,677,734 times
It's all about what you get for your HOA dollars. Some will do practically nothing and charge you an exorbitant fee. Others provide needed services at a good value.

I live in an area where HOAs aren't popular, especially in the county. The flip side of that is a lot of properties are not maintained well and you end up with a lot of eyesores - appliances on the porch, junk cars in the lawn, cars on blocks, etc.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,774,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
They just raised my HOA fees from $135 to $162 on my townhouse......

Some people always seem to be victims in life. "They" who raised the HOA fees are YOUR home owners association. When you bought into this neighborhood you decided to go with the collective wisdom on how to spend the fees and how much they should be. If you want to sell and move to a cheap trailer camp in the desert, that is your decision. Don't blame the situation on others. You only make your previous decisions sound unwise.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 AM

45,173 posts, read 36,386,072 times
Not me - my HOA fees are $125 a year. I'm good.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:17 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,310,740 times
This is one of the primary reasons I refuse to buy in a development that has an HOA. You really have little control over the amount of the fees that are charged and what may seem reasonable today could skyrocket and be way out of one's budget in the future.

My parents ended up buying a mobile home is a well-kept area for what was left of their retirement years and were quite happy there. But I agree with those who have suggested that if you can find a small house that meets your needs, it would be a better option in the long run.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,415,898 times
I love my HOA. my dues are 175 bucks a month. that covers snow removal and lawn care through out the year.
Yesterday we had a sleet event, not really a storm but enough to coat the sidewalks with ice. Before the thing was over we had two guys outside salting. Woke up this morning to walk the dog, my two blocks in the HOA were pretty much the only ones safe to walk on. this was at 6 am.

I left for work at 8 and they were back out resalting.

During the summer they cut grass, put down fertilizer and mosquito control. We also have a driveway, they maintain the gate and keep that clear.

truthfully every thing can skyrocket and you have little control. rents go up, property taxes darn sure go up, utilities go up. so I'm amazed at property owners who think that prices should stay the same from when they first purchased the house many moons ago.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:29 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,245,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Just to help illustrate the puffed-up silliness of HOA's and their Regulations......
Thanks for pointing out the main reason I'll never live in an HOA community. The rules tend towards the idiotic, driven by the "board" who are often overly nosey busy-bodies who's only purpose in life is to bully others to do as They think is right. Any you have to PAY for that abuse?

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. $500/month! That's more than my mortgage, taxes and insurance Combined on my historic 2200sq/ft house on an acre lot. Maintenance? Mine's been high since I only just bought the house and it was neglected before me, but prior houses were the same way (high upfront) and then settled down into WELL under the $6k/year mentioned. My current roof has been the single most expensive maintenance item I've paid for at $18k, that's a 30yr top-tier shingle with 3 years of that fee...

I'll never fall into the HOA trap, and yes it's a trap. You either have to dedicate the rest of your life to controlling the HOA or suffer the decisions of the person who does control it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement