U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM

444 posts, read 281,483 times

Advertisements

Since this is a hypothetical, Iím going to do an end run around some of the things others have brought up, Iíve let my license lapse, but our hypothetical assumes itís still valid. Iíve moved a long way from my former place of employment. In our hypothetical, letís say I can work from home. Bad knees, hard to move around easily; see the work from home response. So now all the practical issues are out if the way. Would I do it?

I would, if it was a case of an occasional well paid discrete project. Iím surprising myself with this answer. I love retirement and really miss nothing about my job. Except now that I think of it, I do miss that adrenaline rush of applying your mind to a challenge and immersing yourself in it.

Not anything close to full time, just a few projects a year, a few weeks each, max.

I have found projects that interest me, that have a similar effect, but they arenít paid, and they donít use the 30 years of training and experience I had in my job. For the reward of a new car, an expensive vacation, or just a budget thatís got more room for saving and error, yeah, Iíll give up some part of the freedom of my days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 08:38 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,226,353 times
I enjoyed the actual work that I did, so I would be happy to go back to doing it for 20 hours a week under certain conditions:

1) Management would leave me the hell alone to do the work

2) I could do it from my new home in Tennessee

As number one would never happen, I will be staying 100% retired!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM

2,432 posts, read 1,667,352 times
If healthcare could go back 20 years when patient care was the focus more than profit, I would happily work per diem here and there.

Since that isn’t realistic, I’ll just be an unpaid patient advocate watching out for myself and my loved ones.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
I would think it wouldn't be a good idea to go back to the same job you used to do. Your position with the organization will have changed with time; another employee will be in your old position. You won't have the same status or degree of power as a temp, even though you might be doing the same work. Even if you think you just enjoy the work and the people and don't care about status, I would think it would still be a little weird. If you want or need the money, that's another issue.

I even found that volunteering in my old field didn't work out so well. I kept feeling as though I could do things so much better and wanted to fix and change things in the place where I was volunteering - but as a volunteer I couldn't, of course. After a period of keeping my mouth shut and smiling, I quit. I've since learned that volunteering in a completely different field has worked out so much better for me.

As for paid work, I've decided to take a part time job in another field just for fun. I don't need the money, but won't mind having something new and different to occupy my mind. And since I can work whatever hours I want to work to get the job done, I don't feel as though I'm giving up my retirement freedom.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:30 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
[quote=jean_ji;50661961]If healthcare could go back 20 years when patient care was the focus more than profit, I would happily work per diem here and there.
QUOTE]

You mean you don't enjoy checking off pointless boxes on electronic medical records and listening to doctors arguing with some night clerk in the Midwest about admission days?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Coming back on you own terms...

Many I know did just that and enjoyed it... because if they didn't... they were never coming back.

My neighbor was a retired Telcom Engineer and took the buy out thinking the company had lost's it's corporate mind because all the "Legacy" knowledge was walking out the door.

It wasn't 3 months out when the calls started coming asking if he wanted back in... he retired with full pension with credit for military service at 52... 30 years in.

He said he would be happy to help... provided the company agree to provide an employment contract and he just happened to have one made up...

Said it was two of the most enjoyable years at the company... basically, he was in on every major decision and management listened...

Several of my Health Care friends came back for 1 or 2 days a weeks and loved it... the feeling of being able to help and also leaving the job behind on the way out... Mom did this after years of being a charge Nurse...

Old 01-11-2018, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I enjoyed the actual work that I did, so I would be happy to go back to doing it for 20 hours a week under certain conditions:

1) Management would leave me the hell alone to do the work

2) I could do it from my new home in (XXX) Tennessee

As number one would never happen, I will be staying 100% retired!
so glad I ALWAYS enjoyed #1... working evenings (by choice) helped Boss went home at 3:30, so I showed up sometime after that. (flex hours since 1960's, so just SHOW up and do the job and LEAVE) until we were able to work remote... then SHOW UP if you don't have a better place to work... (I always had Mtn view homes / farms / ranches, so physically going to WORK... tried to ONLY do on my terms (rainy nights). (few exceptions)

#2. It was a 'godsend' when HR made the rule "the boss MUST accept or counter any reasonable proposal to work from home / remotely"; My previous boss was really bitter about that rule (micro-managed the day shift, purposed to make life miserable for worker bees (not me ) I saw the boss a couple times / yr! (plenty))

20 hrs / week is not my style... so... I offer to work hard, and play hard... but to not work too OFTEN!

The last 2 'severance' / Early Retirement packages had people 'reducing hours' but showing up every week not me! GONE, or intensively working (usually overseas, but NEVER at a company office (supplier management) working remote !!! (really remote!) The further from the office the better! Some supplier locations in Switzerland, Germany, France, and Spain were in Mtn retreat villages. Those needed more intensive and frequent management .

Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,730,589 times
i retired and keep a hand in what i did one day a week because i like it .

in fact i not only work the one day a week doing what i like but i was a pro drummer at one time too , and also returned to that , but that has become a daily thing as i play at home daily but i am in the studio once week .

so if you like what you do , you just may miss doing it . i would enjoy what i do now even if i did not get paid . the fact i get paid well to do it is just a bonus .

Old 01-11-2018, 03:31 AM

295 posts, read 149,467 times
Default ...not a chance...

My previous place of employment:

NEVER

Full Time at a different place of employment:

not likely

Part Time at a different place of employment:

I already have something lined up.

As stated by a previous poster, life is too short. If your work is your life, stay with it. If it was
something you were paid to put up with, leave.
I did work with some good people, but there were those whose occupation in life was to be difficult and they were better at that than their jobs. I know I would not be a government worker again. Great benefits, but a Garden of Eden for slackers.
Always remember: the best way to get even with someone is to live well. And as of 31DEC17 I am living very well.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,663,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
..........., Iíve let my license lapse, but our hypothetical assumes itís still valid. ......... Would I do it?

I would, if it was a case of an occasional well paid discrete project. Iím surprising myself with this answer. I love retirement and really miss nothing about my job. Except now that I think of it, I do miss that adrenaline rush of applying your mind to a challenge and immersing yourself in it.

Not anything close to full time, just a few projects a year, a few weeks each, max.

I have found projects that interest me, that have a similar effect, but they arenít paid, and they donít use the 30 years of training and experience I had in my job. For the reward of a new car, an expensive vacation, or just a budget thatís got more room for saving and error, yeah, Iíll give up some part of the freedom of my days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i retired and keep a hand in what i did one day a week because i like it .

in fact i not only work the one day a week doing what i like but i was a pro drummer at one time too , and also returned to that , but that has become a daily thing as i play at home daily but i am in the studio once week .

so if you like what you do , you just may miss doing it . i would enjoy what i do now even if i did not get paid . the fact i get paid well to do it is just a bonus .

One of my licenses will lapse in Nov 2019, the other in Dec 2020. I will probably renew each license one more time - just in case. I can't foresee going back for an extended time period at 20-30 hours/week as some retirees have done. On the other hand, I can see that I would consider doing it for a short well defined time period or an interesting project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or