U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 AM

1,371 posts, read 462,799 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I hope this is the right place to post my inquiry. If not, someone please let me know where I can/should move it to. I have been chatting and posting about possible relocation here on city-data, and rather than put this on Facebook, thought I might get a much better response here.
I just turned 62 and I want to retire. I'm giving myself a year to get ready, which may or may not be realistic once I get all my info together. I would work part time at my current job if it was actually part-time. (The fed gov't part time program is 4 days per week and you have to go in to the office, when my current work schedule allows me to work at home. figures, huh?)
Anyway, I am putting numbers down on paper, doing my homework and research about health care and finances, etc.
I will wait until I am 66 to collect Social Security (right now) because I have a small pension from my first employer and it impacts/reduces what I will receive from SS. That prior employer also offers retirees health insurance at a seemingly reasonable price, so I will be able to cover myself through them (it is fairly high deductible, though, but I can manage it and when Medicare kicks in, they will pick up the Part B costs. I've been informed I should have supplemental, too, and am looking at that now.)
I have a 401K type plan which will provide an annuity and will get a small amount from the feds (my career has not been with them). I am married, my husband is retired, and he collects a pension (he is younger than me and has been retired for a number of years.) I believe together we can meet our financial obligations (very few, frankly) because our house is paid for and we don't have much debt at all. Ok, none, really.
***so finally to my question*** Are there things you didn't think of that impacted you once you finally retired? Those sneaky details that catch up to you and make you go, wait, what? Something you didn't consider that you now wish you would have (maybe something like, relocating, etc). Or even down to 'what am I going to do when I am retired?' I love the outdoors, and in the warm months just don't see myself being 'bored' or disengaged. Winter is more of an issue for me and the NE winters are long and dark (hence, the relocating question).

I appreciate any replies. If you like, you can message me personally to keep it between us
Thanks!
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
You seem to have thrown out a lot of ideas: financial readiness, part time employment, relocation, retirement activities and lifestyle. Your husband has been retired for years. What is he doing and what are his ideas about all of these choices?

No one can answer these questions and make these decisions for you. I can only recommend that you take each one at a time and think them through. Are you financially ready? Do you want or need to work part time? Do you want to relocate and if so where? What do you plan on doing, learning and accomplishing during your retirement?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:56 AM

5,392 posts, read 6,532,509 times
I was surprised at the unwillingness to hire an overeducated prior management level retiree for simple task jobs. They give personality 'how would you handle this' tests and I am sure I didn't make the cut. Then I got older observed younger women filling store shelves and I knew I could not keep up their 'time motion ' even if I had a box store job.

And I was willing early on in my retirement. Now I realize the box store type part time isn't for me at this time, and I really don't want to work that hard anyway

So if you wish to do part time employment, my suggestion would be to set that in place before you retire. Or develop special skills that can ease your way into part time employment

Goodluck

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 01-11-2018 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-11-2018, 07:08 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,360,393 times
Only piece of advice I can think of healthwise, since you seem to have it pretty well worked out, is:

You are both young. Is it possible that you would not stay in the place where you are now? Is it possible you would decide to move around a bit or travel, etc.? In that case, I would make sure that the insurance program you decide upon allows you to choose your doctors, etc., where you are at the moment. Something that might sound cheaper but force you to choose from their list of doctors might prove to be unworkable if you moved or decided to winter in Florida, or whatever. The regular Medicare allows you to use it anywhere in the US and is the most flexible, although some other plans might be cheaper.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You seem to have thrown out a lot of ideas: financial readiness, part time employment, relocation, retirement activities and lifestyle. Your husband has been retired for years. What is he doing and what are his ideas about all of these choices?

No one can answer these questions and make these decisions for you. I can only recommend that you take each one at a time and think them through. Are you financially ready? Do you want or need to work part time? Do you want to relocate and if so where? What do you plan on doing, learning and accomplishing during your retirement?
Hi....I'm not looking for someone to make a decision for me, just wondering if anyone had thought they'd 'had it all figured out,' only to be surprised by situations or circumstances once they HAD retired. I'm casting a wide net for things I may not have already considered. I listed the things I'm pondering to show what I'm thinking about and also wonder if anyone sees something I am obviously missing.

Hubby has worked part time here and there but doesn't like people and prefers to stay home now. We are lucky that he is able to do that.

I appreciate the questions you've posed and they are being considered.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I was surprised at the unwillingness to hire an overeducated prior management level retiree for simple task jobs. They give personality 'how would you handle this' tests and I am sure I didn't make the cut. Then I got older observed younger women filling store shelves and I knew I could not keep up their 'time motion ' even if I had a box store job.

And I was willing early on in my retirement. Now I realize the box store type part time isn't for me at this time, and I really don't want to work that hard anyway

So if you wish to do part time employment, my suggestion would be to set that in place before you retire. Or develop special skills that can ease your way into part time employment

Goodluck

Thanks for your perspective. I HAVE considered that no one may want me due to my age although God knows I could probably do any job other than one involved heavy lifting, or running. haha! I believe I have marketable skills, but was also hoping to spend a year in retirement before deciding if I was not 'engaged' enough and sought something part time.
That job you describe almost sounds like FedEx or UPS. I don't need or want that type of pressure when I am retired. The whole idea is to move away from that environment. I was thinking more along the lines of 'garden supply helper' or seasonal Forest Service work - which is probably impossible to get anymore.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,373,763 times
What does your husband think about you retiring? Are you talking about how you envision retirement together?

Or do you pretty much live separate lives?

It may be a bit of a shocker for him for you to be home all day, I suspect. Am I wrong?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
Hi....I'm not looking for someone to make a decision for me, just wondering if anyone had thought they'd 'had it all figured out,' only to be surprised by situations or circumstances once they HAD retired. I'm casting a wide net for things I may not have already considered. I listed the things I'm pondering to show what I'm thinking about and also wonder if anyone sees something I am obviously missing.

In my case there were no surprises or big situations that had not been considered. I followed a plan: sold the house, submitted my retirement notice when the buyers had mortgage approval, traveled in my RV for the next couple of years.....

I only have one added suggestion. Retirement is a huge change, equivalent to a death in the family or a divorce. It can go horribly wrong or be a great opportunity. I recommend considering in advance what is important to you. What are your passions. What you want to do with the rest of your life. What you might want to learn or to accomplish. Think big. Don't just look for something to occupy your time. I call that waiting to die.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:36 AM

4,360 posts, read 3,696,311 times
Be sure to build inflation into your numbers.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:40 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,984 times
The first thing that comes to mind to me is severe disability and the need for either home care or a nursing home for one or both of you.
We are both disabled and at some point at least my husband will need full time care because of his Parkinsons.
He was just diagnosed in 2012 and had to leave work in 2015 and he continues to worsen. He was 65 when he had to leave work and retire and we moved.
Having something like this happen out of the blue can really screw up your plans, go to the caregivers forum and read about some of the problems faced by those there, if you have not all ready , it is an eye opener.
Anyway good luck with your plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or