U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I never said I disapprove of all the staff. Just that anyone rich, famous or POTUS
cannot relate to normal everyday people trying to simplify the chores of daily life,
and therefore should not try to give advice about such.
Really. So you dictate what others can say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 03:17 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Really. So you dictate what others can say?
Criticizing vs dictating, look it up.
Here is some help. Are you dictating what I can say or criticizing what I said ?

Last edited by kelly237; 01-18-2018 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Criticizing vs dictating, look it up.
Here is some help. Are you dictating what I can say or criticizing what I said ?
Semantics. Look it up.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:42 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Semantics. Look it up.
Master's degree in Speech & Language. Clearly semantics doesn't mean what you think it does.
Lets stay on topic of the thread..

Last edited by kelly237; 01-18-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 AM

2,744 posts, read 730,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Stoicism. Learn to tolerate the bad with the good. Be careful to minimize the bad things, most happen by your own neglect. When they do anyway, get over it. Shrug off things that merely annoy.
Just learned about Stoicism---has some correlation with Buddhism. There are several new books about it---ancient wisdom that's so important for these times.

I'm surprised that so many of you think that shopping, meal planning, and cooking are just ungratifying chores. It's one of my major hobbies.

I heard a TED talk on positive thinking where the speaker advised to reframe chores as "getting to do" them versus "having to do them." You may say it's just semantics, but it makes a big difference. Did it the other day while cleaning---that I got to clean and how nice it was to have a clean home. Counted my good fortune in being able to do the cleaning myself.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:36 AM

6,899 posts, read 7,303,124 times
To be honest, my life runs pretty efficiently and pleasantly day to day but just having enough money to pay for what I want done, or want to buy. But I don't think I need or want that much so, "I' good."

I have no health issues, all family and friends are fine, employed -- with no life-threatening illnesses.
So life is good.

I've had a few stages like this, when I was younger in a good profession....and now.
There were years when older relatives were sick and I had start paying more attention and commit time to that....and THAT was very tiring. I wasn't even the main caregiver and it was exhausting.

But that's passed now, so I'm back to being "carefree?"

Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 1,411,872 times
No kids. Grrr.... LOL that would make my life run pleasantly. (youngest son in college just threw me into a loop with his tuition bill. kid is killing me.)

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Just learned about Stoicism---has some correlation with Buddhism. There are several new books about it---ancient wisdom that's so important for these times.

I'm surprised that so many of you think that shopping, meal planning, and cooking are just ungratifying chores. It's one of my major hobbies.

I heard a TED talk on positive thinking where the speaker advised to reframe chores as "getting to do" them versus "having to do them." You may say it's just semantics, but it makes a big difference. Did it the other day while cleaning---that I got to clean and how nice it was to have a clean home. Counted my good fortune in being able to do the cleaning myself.
Good point. But there is only so much time in the day and I thank every day that I can jump up, grab my binocs and go bird watching, hiking hills, and be in thrall of nature. So choices, thank god for choices.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 1,548,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
No kids. Grrr.... LOL that would make my life run pleasantly. (youngest son in college just threw me into a loop with his tuition bill. kid is killing me.)

Amen. That's one of the secrets to our retirement "success"....

Old 01-19-2018, 09:36 PM

9,013 posts, read 7,774,270 times
Not letting complainers, negative people, begrudgers, A holes, or crazy people into it. That does eliminate quite a few.........LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or