U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 PM

4,978 posts, read 3,464,691 times

Advertisements

I've been procrastinating lately but am some of the things that help me be less messy is organizers. A cube with the insert baskets got rid of a lot of clutter. A hanging cloth rack (like a shoe rack type thing) organized my yarn. Easy to find & pull out what I want.

There are so many neat organizing tricks that have helped.

I also, like a lot of folks have said, have things set up on auto pay. That also helps a lot. Anything to simplify life helps.

I do tend to cook too much & now my freezer is packed & I have to stop & eat what I've frozen before I go on another cooking spree. That's a by-product of having lived in Minnesota most of my life, you made sure the freezer was packed in case you got snowed in.

That's not a worry I have here in Arizona but it's a hard habit to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 08:08 AM

3,142 posts, read 1,729,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've been procrastinating lately but am some of the things that help me be less messy is organizers. A cube with the insert baskets got rid of a lot of clutter. A hanging cloth rack (like a shoe rack type thing) organized my yarn. Easy to find & pull out what I want.

There are so many neat organizing tricks that have helped.

I also, like a lot of folks have said, have things set up on auto pay. That also helps a lot. Anything to simplify life helps.

I do tend to cook too much & now my freezer is packed & I have to stop & eat what I've frozen before I go on another cooking spree. That's a by-product of having lived in Minnesota most of my life, you made sure the freezer was packed in case you got snowed in.

That's not a worry I have here in Arizona but it's a hard habit to break.
I have stopped buying organizers and got rid of most of them. I use shoe boxes in my dresser drawers to sort my clothes after folding them Marie Kondo style. These two things have enormously simplified my life.

I find the more organizers you have the more you find things to save and possibly they do not need to be saved. This is the problem my husband has with papers. His organizers have multiplied and so is his clutter.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I have stopped buying organizers and got rid of most of them. I use shoe boxes in my dresser drawers to sort my clothes after folding them Marie Kondo style. These two things have enormously simplified my life.

I find the more organizers you have the more you find things to save and possibly they do not need to be saved. This is the problem my husband has with papers. His organizers have multiplied and so is his clutter.
The shoe box idea is a good one. The shelving I have here is non moveable, deep & far apart. Everything was getting jumbled together & the organizers help me keep things separate & uncluttered. I also can't bend well after the back operation & it's easier for me to have slide out organizers for under the sinks & such.

I try to keep things as easy as I can for my back & they help me do that.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 AM

6,293 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I had no idea what a Marie Kondo style was. I have been doing the fold and roll method for storing shirts since I started doing this when I retired and traveled in an RV. Space was at a premium. Instead of hangers, I went to a canvas organizer with lots of individual cubbies. I can store many times the amount of clothing and it is easy to identify and access. Now I do the same at home.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:12 PM

8,984 posts, read 7,753,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
LOL..yeah my "checks" are also to the government. I could have paid online but they had a $25 fee so I drove the 10 minutes to the tax office and paid by check.

I keep about $40 or so in my wallet "just in case" but hardly ever need to replenish it.
I pay cash for a great many things. I get nervous if I have less then $150 in my pocket which I get at an ATM. My online purchases are with PayPal attached to my AMEX. My around town purchases are via my debt card. I pay my monthly bills via check or electronic withdrawal (not auto, I have to authorize each). I have one VISA card for those that do not take AMEX and I run a small charge on it each month to keep it active.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Paying with cash does not seem to be efficient or pleasant. I can barely remember back to the days of collecting piles of coins left over from cash purchases, of the frequent trips to the ATM, of the nuisance of running out of cash, and the difficulty of trying to keep track of costs and purchases. No thanks.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Paying with cash does not seem to be efficient or pleasant. I can barely remember back to the days of collecting piles of coins left over from cash purchases, of the frequent trips to the ATM, of the nuisance of running out of cash, and the difficulty of trying to keep track of costs and purchases. No thanks.
I find if I have cash I tend to spend it, although not so much here. I keep better track of my spending using my debit card. I check my bank account on-line frequently & it works for me.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:28 AM

I will stick with my credit cards. I pay them off monthly so they cost me nothing and I like the points. With all purchases on the cards, the points add up significantly. I rarely check the balances except for paying the cards. We do "budgeting" a few times a year to make sure expenses are within rough guidelines so we are not withdrawing more than 4% from retirement accounts.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I find if I have cash I tend to spend it, although not so much here. I keep better track of my spending using my debit card. I check my bank account on-line frequently & it works for me.
The way I see, I'm going to spend it here and there during the week, so why bother tracking?

I'm talking about small purchases such as breakfast or lunch out, a quick trip to the store for milk and eggs, maybe gas for the car, church

I'll take out 100 or so a week for walking around money.

This way I only track one withdrawal a week and maybe one grocery store visit.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM

4,443 posts, read 2,618,160 times
My/our lives are nowhere near organized.

A big part of the problem is work schedules. My OH has,daily steady hous,from job1, but job two hours can be any morning of the week, from 2 days to 6 days that week. My work is supposed to be 2 nite shifts 4-12midnight, and one day 8-4 shift, but those days can change as well as whether I'm working first or second.

We are definitely morning people, my OH gets,up at 3 am to file reports for job 1, then get ready to be at job 2 at 7am.i haven't been able to adapt well to working til midnight, so my schedule gets screwed up and some times I sleep all the next day so my days and nights get mixed up.

Clothes, well we do have too many. I used to just give to salvation army, but now trying to sell on CL. Just a few bucks, but not much luck. I've lost 50 pounds and 9 " off my waist last year, so I'm digging out older non fitting clothes to see if I have a few or need to buy new.

We both are responsible for dirtyinh the house, but somehow my OH never does anything and it all falls to me. My OH is am adult, so should be no problem to pick up after ones self, or share doing the dishes. I do all the cooking, so for me my OH should do clean up. Having cooked in restaurants, I don't don't just sling mac and cheese or hotdogs. I cook gourmet style. So often it befalls to me to do all housework. My OH is even lazy at mowi g lawn so I huff and puff through it with my heart condition. We are both responsible, so we should be sharing the workload. But *sigh *. My OH had a devastating illness as a child so all mother'sfamily in particular doted on my OH, and my OH didn't have to lift a finger and want ed for nothing. The illness is long gone but my OH still some times acts like a wounded wing bird. Sorry that doesn't cut it with me. Heck my OH s mother used to iron underwear. And put it all away for my oh. I iron nothing, lol. And i leave a pile of my OH s clothes until my OH puts them away. I'm not a slave, I'm a PARTNER.

I also pay all the bills from our joint accounts and handle all finances. My OH doesn't care just want a to know the bills are paid. So when we are short as our hours got cut back for winter, I'm the one who bears the heartache of juggling bills. In good times it's not so much a burdonbut lean times are tough.

My OH abhors shopping, so guess who does it all?

So no my life is not simple. I can't exactly streamline without cooperation.

Wish it was that simple to organize and streamline.
BUT without that treasured cooperation, it'll never be streamlined.

*sigh* ( grits teeth) it could be worse I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or