U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:20 PM

31,971 posts, read 20,147,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but you are the one who doesn't have a hint. We are both photographers dealing with a great many terabytes of storage. We have multiple onsite and off site drives. We are using 4-6 Tb drives, not some thumb drive with a few hundred gig capacity. Back ups need to be done daily while we are shooting and often do not have internet access.
You saved me from having to write the same thing!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM

2,243 posts, read 1,376,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Me too! I love my programmable coffee maker and love waking up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee every morning. I'm still getting up at the same time every day...even on days off, dang it...so it's nice to have that.
Did you ever consider that you are still getting up at the same time every day because you smell the coffee brewing at that time every day? it's your alarm clock!

Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 PM

7,908 posts, read 4,836,576 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but you are the one who doesn't have a hint. We are both photographers dealing with a great many terabytes of storage. We have multiple onsite and off site drives. We are using 4-6 Tb drives, not some thumb drive with a few hundred gig capacity. Back ups need to be done daily while we are shooting and often do not have internet access.
Well, la-di-dah.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,306,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
When you get that thought put it in a bag in a prominent place like the kitchen. Add to that all the other "I may need that" items you come across. At the end of the month if you haven't gone into that bag to retrieve something then just throw out the bag and put a new empty bag in its place.

A lot of people say "I may need that some day" and then put it right back where they found it.
All this does is cause a cycle of the above..take out, convince yourself and then put it back.

https://zenhabits.net/on-minimalism/
thanks for the link and the ideas - there are plenty of secondhand stores in my area to take away my excess stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I also think how we manage relationships helps to keep life pleasant and simple. The secret may be to let go of attachment but it is hard.
I've withdrawn from a few - and found life is simpler/less complicated that way...not sure avoidance is the best way to deal with it though.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:34 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,724,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Did you ever consider that you are still getting up at the same time every day because you smell the coffee brewing at that time every day? it's your alarm clock!

No, I wake up same time even if I forget to set up the coffee pot. Just been doing it so many years it 'just happens'. If I sleep in till 7 I feel like I've wasted half a day. lol

Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 AM

37,228 posts, read 45,830,523 times
I think each move has brought fewer moving parts in our life. Hubby still has a workshop full of tools and a pt job, but I have pruned our life down a great deal after retirement. We tend to wear the same things, so we need fewer clothes. We tend to use the same things, and what we don’t use we get rid of.
We have stopped acquiring things, unless something breaks. If it does, we buy the latest and greatest.
We keep a spreadsheet of monthly expenses.
We are still able to do a lot of DIY, but when that changes, we’ll need to downsize in dwelling and tools.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 AM

2,215 posts, read 748,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think each move has brought fewer moving parts in our life. Hubby still has a workshop full of tools and a pt job, but I have pruned our life down a great deal after retirement. We tend to wear the same things, so we need fewer clothes. We tend to use the same things, and what we don’t use we get rid of.
We have stopped acquiring things, unless something breaks. If it does, we buy the latest and greatest.
We keep a spreadsheet of monthly expenses.
We are still able to do a lot of DIY, but when that changes, we’ll need to downsize in dwelling and tools.
I pay for everything with my CC..bills, food shopping, etc.
My monthly CC bill is how I track my budget and it makes it so much easier as I don't have to remember to record all my spending. The CC bill covers about 95% of my budget and then I just add in the extra cash I put in my wallet and one or two checks I do write.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM

6,368 posts, read 4,788,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, la-di-dah.

OK, I understand that anyone with interests outside of your interests must be pretentious. That demonstrates a powerful sense of self worth. I would guess that attitude has helped to define a lifetime of your interpersonal relationships.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:42 AM

6,368 posts, read 4,788,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I pay for everything with my CC..bills, food shopping, etc.
My monthly CC bill is how I track my budget and it makes it so much easier as I don't have to remember to record all my spending. The CC bill covers about 95% of my budget and then I just add in the extra cash I put in my wallet and one or two checks I do write.
Sounds like a lot of progress towards simplification. If you have a credit card with reward points those add up. We charge even $5 purchases and hardly ever use cash. Last year I wrote one check. I believe that was for the DMW or some other government agency still in the dark ages.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 AM

6,407 posts, read 5,118,401 times
Quote:
Sounds like a lot of progress towards simplification. If you have a credit card with reward points those add up. We charge even $5 purchases and hardly ever use cash. Last year I wrote one check. I believe that was for the DMW or some other government agency still in the dark ages.
I still like to carry and use cash for small purchases.

Even though we live in a very small town, there have been incidents of credit card skimming being used at gas stations etc. So when I fill up I pay in cash. That is only about every 3 weeks so no big deal.

We go out to eat at small local restaurants all the time and I like to leave cash tips.

Other than the grocery store, my only other expenses are restaurants and gasoline for the car. I do pay utilities online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or