Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times

Advertisements

The answer - money. And good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 01:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
My house is my sanctuary. As such, I have designated it a drama-free zone.
I have streamlined my life down to its bare essentials and identified my priorities accordingly.
I live very simply. I have always been a minimalist and can honestly say that I have everything I need.
My dogs and I are healthy and active. I am not wealthy, but life is good and I am content.

I am an aspiring minimalist.
I am simplifying and reducing and it feels like a huge weight has lifted off me when I donate or sell things.

This junk is hard to let go for some reason (wish I knew the psychology of why)
but I am plugging away at it and it feels great.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have the same issue with my wife. Her disorganization causes her lots and lots of work and problems. I long since have given up trying to make help or recommendations. Every once in a while she about gives up and asks for some help. By then it is usually too late. That happened again last week. She had not backed up computer files and still refused to do a full, organized backup. She needed to back up and clear files from her computer's hard drive, but the back up discs were full of half done and disorganized files. We had to go out and buy another set up backup hard drives. Even then she "did not have time" to organize her laptop files so her newest backup is also incomplete and disorganized. So after 12 hours of copying files, she still has a mess.
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Your behavior, not your wife's.

Using hard drives for backups went out in the 90s. Get her an inexpensive account at an online ISP. I use Hurricane Electric, which is based in Silicon Valley, but really it can be anywhere. You get lots of storage for very little money. Then learn to use sftp to transfer files. This solution has the advantage of keeping a copy of her data offsite.

The other solution is to buy large capacity thumb drives. People usually forget to label them, though, and being so small they can get lost. And it's still in your house, so in the event of a fire or other disaster, it's destroyed too.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am an aspiring minimalist.
I am simplifying and reducing and it feels like a huge weight has lifted off me when I donate or sell things.

This junk is hard to let go for some reason (wish I knew the psychology of why)
but I am plugging away at it and it feels great.
that's my goal as well....feels good...just always have the thought "I may need that someday".....wish I could get more aggressive, especially in the garage w/ my fitness/recreational/sports stuff.....

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Totally agree with the hiring things out and making enough to pay for it!
I make enough to pay for it,
But then do it myself and spend money on fun stuff.

Would I rather pay someone to do my chores or DIY and buy a snowmobile. Hmmm

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

This constant need for movement reminded me of my friend the other day.

She could not think of what to do with two hours of her time this last Sunday. Her usual Sunday activities had been curtailed, so she just drove around until her next "appointment"

My father always told us to "go scratch your feet" if we had nothing to do. Sounds better in Spanish. What it means is to go contemplate your life! No need to be constantly amused by outside activities and actions.
This might make a good topic for a thread.....the idea of constant movement and the need for it. I find it interesting.

I know a person who takes the need for constant movement to an astounding degree. (it might also fit in the Psychology forum)

Old 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
^^^^^^^^ Regarding the topic of constant movement, how about people who cannot sit with silence? If a conversation stops, they feel uncomfortable and begin chattering about something to fill the void.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:38 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Lucky to be living where labor rates are low. As we age (retired at age 50, now 65), we realize while we are still be able to paint a room or trim back landscaping, we will pay for it with sore backs or leg muscles the next day. Not to mention the risk of climbing ladders....falls are biggest cause of going from active retirement to retirement riddled with pain, doctor visits, surgery, mobility issues.

We are able (here in Mexico) to hire competent gardeners, laborers. Also here, home delivery from any store is either free or very minimal charge.

That is exactly why I quit climbing ladders a couple of years ago after I painted 1/3 of my house interior. I could just see me, in a heap on the floor, wondering "What now??". So I managed to fall and break a hip at work! One of my customers came in today with a busted up arm from falling off a ladder. He has to have surgery in the next few days and he is badly bruised in the waist area. Says his wife is "really mad" at him. I'm STILL doing follow up visits with my various doctors but it HAS to end someday...doesn't it?? It's been three months and I still have a few left. And then the eye surgeries begin next month.....

Old 01-12-2018, 04:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's my goal as well....feels good...just always have the thought "I may need that someday".....wish I could get more aggressive, especially in the garage w/ my fitness/recreational/sports stuff.....
When you get that thought put it in a bag in a prominent place like the kitchen. Add to that all the other "I may need that" items you come across. At the end of the month if you haven't gone into that bag to retrieve something then just throw out the bag and put a new empty bag in its place.

A lot of people say "I may need that some day" and then put it right back where they found it.
All this does is cause a cycle of the above..take out, convince yourself and then put it back.

https://zenhabits.net/on-minimalism/

Old 01-12-2018, 04:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Efficiency item: coffee

Before I go to bed the coffee maker is set up with coffee and water. When I worked I used a pot with an automatic timer. Now I get up at different times and have to turn it on manually. That is usually about all I can handle for my first 10 minutes of being awake.

Me too! I love my programmable coffee maker and love waking up to the smell of fresh brewed coffee every morning. I'm still getting up at the same time every day...even on days off, dang it...so it's nice to have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement