Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM

221 posts, read 191,988 times

Advertisements

No procrastination. Anticipated things, once thrust upon you, are tended to immediately. Lifetime of organization via job, placed me on an organized path. Finances in order, rainy day coverage for emergencies offer a calm.
Raised in home atmosphere with order boosted the appeal to be prepared for whatever life threw at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Since life obstacles (illnesses, deaths, accidents, incidents etc.) are unavoidable, nobody can plan for a pleasant, efficient well-oiled-machine life.

..... Bottom line is that I don't think that anyone can plan their life to be always pleasant, stress-free or events-free. I also think that it has a lot to do with personalities and lifelong habit. Some people just love routines and hate changes. Some people enjoy challenges, constantly seeking new experience. I am kind of in the middle. I like routines but always think of ways to optimize my life time-wise and money-wise. I also love setting goals and personal challenges, tackling them add purposes to my life and sharpen my coping skills for unplanned life challenges.

You are right! Not all of life's difficulties or obstacles are avoidable or pleasant, thus trying to plan out a perfect, trouble-free life, is doomed to fail. However, one can do as Paul taught: "... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Phil. 4:11-13).

Once one learns to do that, they can "be in the world, but, not of the world" - because they have "the peace of God that passes all understanding" (Phil. 4:7)

Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM

703 posts, read 610,797 times
Yes, I would say what makes my life run smooth, efficient and pleasant is having as few people in it as I can get away with. Thinking back on life over six decades the times that were hardest to deal with involved other people making it that way. The times I was most on my own were the easiest and most enjoyable

Old 01-11-2018, 10:34 AM

11,987 posts, read 8,324,035 times
Yes, Blue Heron, cats! Sit down and stroke a nice kitty a little every day. Very calming. And kitty likes it too.

My DH is quite "things" oriented. He's the one who enjoys sorting and organizing schedules and objects. For him if his things aren't working correctly or his schedule is awry it makes waves in his life.

On the other hand, I'm a "people" person and need to keep my relationships with others flowing smoothly or my life gets messy. This means devoting my energy to mostly intangible values like honesty, loyalty, forgiveness, admitting when I've make a mistake, patience and understanding. I feel the most self-satisfaction in life when I have a sense that I am walking the right path.

People are way more unpredictable than chainsaws and automobiles and just because you treat them the way you think the warranty reads doesn't mean they will "perform" as you expect. So I spent the middle part of my life trying to catch up all the loose ends and wrap them up in neat little packages tied with a bow only to watch everything I'd hoped for or planned unravel and to start the process all over again.

I continue to learn that allowing life to unfold around me while I find my best spot in it is a good choice for me. It's been a relief to know that my decisions aren't the sole thing that keeps everything up and running and I'm grateful for a mismatched spouse who turned out to be my very compliment in life. We make a good team that way.

When it all gets to be too much I sit down for a while and pet a cat.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,095,114 times
My life does not run like a well-oiled machine. The gods are constantly messing with my plans and efforts. In particular, the mechanical god really dislikes me.

So, my attempts to stay ahead of them includes bills on autopay, force myself to stay up with the housework, have a good stash of food, dogfood, cleaning supplies and ammo, just in case I can't make it to the store for a few months, AND making certain all my appliances, mechanical systems, car, etc are well serviced and I have oil/filters, etc.

Anyone who believes they are totally in control of their life is, indeed, delusional. But we can always wish.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,094,681 times
When it comes to the chores of daily living, my life is about as simple as possible. That started when I retired and took off in an RV. I rarely had internet and often no cell phone coverage. All of my bills, investments, and financial transactions were as simple and automated as possible.

At the same time I simplified my clothing. I decided that camping or not, there was a basic standard I wanted. Regardless of my activities, my clothing is pretty much standard: comfortable Merrill walking shoes, docker-type pants, and pocket T or polo shirts. I buy 4 dozen or more pairs of socks at a time and wear them until they start to fall apart. That permanently ended sock matching. They are all the same with the same amount of wear.

Our food is also pretty simple. We got used to having a small RV refrigerator and simple meals.

Since we share a divided house with my daughter, sil and family, we do not worry about garbage, mowing the lawn or upkeep. I do help handle the leaves in the Fall, assuming we are not traveling.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:04 AM

18,671 posts, read 33,290,630 times
I've been quite orderly with the things one can keep in order (bills, timely phone calls, logistics of selling/building house, retiring). Let the Brazilians go who cleaned my house in anticipation of being on fixed income. Dog hair becomes an art form.

I don't expect my dogs to make life orderly. It's a pleasure of dogs, them being themselves (as I gather cats are, too). Being without familial relations, lumpiness is rare with friends. Perhaps I am missing something, I don't know, but don't seem to find much difficulty with people. Maybe that's because I've lived alone for 41 years and counting. Always wished for a husband-style man in my life who either lived across the street or a plane flight away. We shall see.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM

12,053 posts, read 10,226,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
When it comes to the chores of daily living, my life is about as simple as possible. That started when I retired and took off in an RV. I rarely had internet and often no cell phone coverage. All of my bills, investments, and financial transactions were as simple and automated as possible.

At the same time I simplified my clothing. I decided that camping or not, there was a basic standard I wanted. Regardless of my activities, my clothing is pretty much standard: comfortable Merrill walking shoes, docker-type pants, and pocket T or polo shirts. I buy 4 dozen or more pairs of socks at a time and wear them until they start to fall apart. That permanently ended sock matching. They are all the same with the same amount of wear.

Our food is also pretty simple. We got used to having a small RV refrigerator and simple meals.

Since we share a divided house with my daughter, sil and family, we do not worry about garbage, mowing the lawn or upkeep. I do help handle the leaves in the Fall, assuming we are not traveling.
wow - JRKLINY - I agree with the clothes and food simplification path! I do the same thing. Same shoes in different colors. Same with pants, shirts etc. If something feels comfy and I look good in it - I buy several cuz you know it will be unavailable later.

Simple food is the way to go at home. We do go out a lot, so I get my variety there.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,980,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Always wished for a husband-style man in my life who either lived across the street or a plane flight away. We shall see.
LOL That is what I want. He MUST have his own place.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM

4,786 posts, read 2,624,008 times
Quote:
What makes your life run efficient and pleasant?
coffee and donuts..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement