U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:08 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,053,602 times

Advertisements

I'm always surprised or even shocked to hear my older friends still talk about getting rid of old clothes, organizing this or that, paying for xyz etc.

So I wonder - when should you be done with all of this? Shouldn't your goal be to live life without any obstacles, besides the ones you can't avoid like health or safety issues? Car wrecks etc.

Does your life run like a well oiled machine? What are your secrets?

This quote popped up on my facebook feed and it made me think of this.

You have to exercise, he said, for instance. Or at some point youll just break down. You also need to remove from your life the day-to-day problems that absorb most people for meaningful parts of their day. Youll see I wear only gray or blue suits, he said. Im trying to pare down decisions. I dont want to make decisions about what Im eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make. He mentioned research that shows the simple act of making decisions degrades ones ability to make further decisions. Its why shopping is so exhausting. You need to focus your decision-making energy. You need to routinize yourself. You cant be going through the day distracted by trivia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM

71,541 posts, read 71,712,424 times
all bills are on auto pilot , all investing is as hands off as i want it to be and all our time is all ours except for 1 day a week when i do my work thing . if we have something to do , i don't do that either .

Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 AM

16,354 posts, read 10,337,852 times
does my life run like a machine? good grief, no.

I have a more-or-less routine I follow when/if I want. I also feel free to forget that routine and do something different.

I have focused my decision making: I've decided to ignore advice from people who are trying to make money from that advice.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
does my life run like a machine? good grief, no.

I have a more-or-less routine I follow when/if I want. I also feel free to forget that routine and do something different.

I have focused my decision making: I've decided to ignore advice from people who are trying to make money from that advice.
The quote was from Obama taken from a Vanity Fair interview. I hope he wasn't selling anything?

But then politicians do try to bring us over to their side

Old 01-11-2018, 09:28 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,154,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm always surprised or even shocked to hear my older friends still talk about getting rid of old clothes, organizing this or that, paying for xyz etc.

So I wonder - when should you be done with all of this? Shouldn't your goal be to live life without any obstacles, besides the ones you can't avoid like health or safety issues? Car wrecks etc.

Since life obstacles (illnesses, deaths, accidents, incidents etc.) are unavoidable, nobody can plan for a pleasant, efficient well-oiled-machine life.

Things which your older friends talk about like getting rid of old clothes, organizing events, paying for xyz are just every day items which we all have to manage.

First start with getting rid of old clothes or other items, downsizing can help to remove obstacles in your life especially if one wants to move or just lives a simpler life unburden by so much possessions.

About organizing events, I applause people who are planners or organizers. They help to make things happen, benefiting others and giving them a sense of purpose.

About paying for xyz, nobody is free from having to think about paying for life necessities. There is also nothing wrong with wanting to spend money for your wants or wishes. The plans or the goals can give you something to look forward to or give you incentives to save or to better manage your finance.

I have been doing all the above three things and a lot more so right now in preparation for our move from NY to ID: downsizing, planning the move, figuring out the best way to pay for the expenses, shopping for the best shipper, mover, auto transport, plane tickets and of course the best mortgage rate.

IMO, the only time that I'm DONE WITH ALL OF THIS is when I am sitting on a wheelchair in a nursing home ;-)

Bottom line is that I don't think that anyone can plan their life to be always pleasant, stress-free or events-free. I also think that it has a lot to do with personalities and lifelong habit. Some people just love routines and hate changes. Some people enjoy challenges, constantly seeking new experience. I am kind of in the middle. I like routines but always think of ways to optimize my life time-wise and money-wise. I also love setting goals and personal challenges, tackling them add purposes to my life and sharpen my coping skills for unplanned life challenges.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:35 AM

7,653 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

For me, I think the key is knowing what to put on autopilot. Because clearly one can have an obstacle-free life if one does exactly the same things every day. But who wants that?

All my bills are on autopay. Like so many others, Amazon provides what I want/need in two days or less. They also pay me every two weeks by automated deposits. It seems strange now to remember when I received a paper check from an employer and had to go to the bank to deposit it. So in a sense, our lives are already better-greased than they used to be.

That "doing exactly the same things every day" thing I mentioned? I had to get away from that. So I packed up my van and hit the road last November 15. Save one trip back home for a few days to get some essentials, I've been on the road all this time. I really like it. I now understand why people do it. No commitments, no appointments, nowhere to be at any specific time (unless you've booked a hotel room). Visiting different places has helped my business grow in unexpected ways. There's only so much you can do at home, sitting on the sofa with a laptop. Sometimes you have to get out and see for yourself what's happening in the real world.

So yes, I'm out here living life with as few obstacles and hassles as possible. I'm in Sedona today, will be in Phoenix tomorrow to arrange a routine service for my van and do some house-hunting but I haven't thought much beyond that.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:40 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Life is relatively stress-free for me. I could use a few more bumps in the road for excitement that don't cost me money.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I think involvement with other people, i.e., family/people living with you make life lumpy.

I have long believed in hiring people to do the things that I find makes life lumpy and have believed in working enough to hire said people (lawn, maybe clean, taxes).

I think doing legwork on the internet has made my few lumps very smooth- financial advice, car reviews, vacation/travel reviews, even retirement place discussions!

I have never smoked, or sunbathed much, moisturized a lot and never had kids. Keeps your skin good. Everyone thinks I'm retiring "early."

Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think involvement with other people, i.e., family/people living with you make life lumpy.

I have long believed in hiring people to do the things that I find makes life lumpy and have believed in working enough to hire said people (lawn, maybe clean, taxes).

I think doing legwork on the internet has made my few lumps very smooth- financial advice, car reviews, vacation/travel reviews, even retirement place discussions!

I have never smoked, or sunbathed much, moisturized a lot and never had kids. Keeps your skin good. Everyone thinks I'm retiring "early."

Agree...keep out as much as possible that makes your life "lumpy"...

For pleasant times, my cats contribute daily...

Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

Totally agree with the hiring things out and making enough to pay for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or