U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 PM

672 posts, read 837,449 times

Advertisements

It doesnít sound like youíre depressed but rather that you need some activity to fill your time. If nothing else it gives you a reason to get dressed and get out. Do you like to read? Maybe your local library has a book club. There is nothing wrong with staying on the computer if that gives you pleasure. But the inactivity isnít good for your body. Are there meet ups in your area? I know by me there are all sorts of coffee meet ups for retirees
Is there a YMCA? They, too, have senior work out groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM

4,813 posts, read 1,828,987 times
What do you like to do?

Do one fun thing you like to do every day!

I bought a Law of Attraction journal - want to create a much better year for myself.

You can do it!

Never give up.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:23 PM

1,567 posts, read 578,242 times
Hi NYgal -- You scared me for a minute!! This is not Friday morning, it is Thursday morning, afternoon now, Lol!!! Have a Dr appt/blood draw today and another activity Friday morning -- so I'm glad I didn't miss them!!

I have a couple of suggestions. First, if you don't already have one, buy yourself a present -- a SAD lamp! SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder and these lamps can help provide a nice brighter light which can lift your spirits. They are not too expensive either and can be ordered online. They help almost everyone.

My Hubby stopped driving, two days ago, so I have been researching alternative transportation methods. And I have learned these are HUGELY dependent on where you live. Where we are, some of the signing up has to be done in-person in a miles-away location. They make it rather difficult in order to limit the eligibility, no doubt. But there are some other choices which are much easier, HOWEVER, they are not available everywhere and you pretty much have to choose to live within the boundaries. They are called Urban Shuttles. Some times Dial a Ride is available. Sometimes there are problems where the driver can't take you over the city line to a Dr in a different town. Sometimes people can do great with Uber or Lyft, but that is also dependent on income. Sometimes cities subsidize taxicabs. So many variables; I'm just mentioning it because you were talking about your eyesight. Sometime the "stop driving" thing will happen and you have to figure out the ropes before it happens.

For a while, while I was still working and dealing with illness and exhaustion, we stopped attending church. But we are back now, at a different one, and it has been great to be back in the routine, in a caring community. We have met people we would not have met, otherwise, and this has helped me form new friendships. Specifically for me, I did the Sunday School class and a Women's Group. I do not believe I would have gotten to know the people without attending the smaller groups.

Computer groups are great, too, nothing wrong with them at all. They are a life-saver for someone who can be shut-in for any number of reasons, either for themselves or because they are a care-giver, or both! Meet-up groups can be good, too, if you have adequate transportation -- you can meet people in any number of ways -- but many people say it is not as easy as it used to be. I think that is true.

Getting out for a lunch at the local Senior Center can also be a good thing -- don't discount that idea! They may even have a ride service. And they have groups & games, too.

I hope you don't have too bad a time with the predicted snowstorm. Be careful when you are out & about!

Old 01-11-2018, 05:35 PM

2,435 posts, read 3,660,491 times
A Rut is just a grave with one end still open.

I first heard this years ago.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:23 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
sounds like maybe the blah weather is making you feel blah??

I live in south texas and it doesn't get super cold here, but after all the summer sun, it gets depressing. I thought I was going to go insane last week. It was in the 30s for a couple days. Horrible for us.

Once the sun came out - wow what a difference. It is getting chilly again but at least the sun is out.

This blah time will pass. Just stay warm and comfy in your warm apartment. Watch the Hallmark channel and drink hot chocolate. I stopped watching CNN. Do get dressed every other day - lol. Heck even I stay in pajamas type clothes here.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM

659 posts, read 324,577 times
My local community college has various classes of interest to adults for no tuition and you pay the fee if you are over 60. Perhaps you could look into attending a course or two.
Certainly understand being in a rut. One needs a reason to get up in the morning. I started taking classes and volunteering as an English tutor.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times
HollyhockGarden: Was it a planned thing, your husband stopping driving? That is a tough one, especially if you didn't see that coming. My area has a good variety of public transportation so if I should ever have to stop driving, I have backup plans. But I do not see that happening at least not any time soon.

I enjoy the outdoors, mother nature, animals, movies, music, more than I could list here. I've always loved swimming but have had to stop because of the chlorine used in public pools. My nose is profoundly bothered by it, I can't stop itching it. It's awful.

I have two cats, boy Sam and girl GG. I love them but wish now I had chosen a dog. My cats require a lot of work, they have ruined a few things.

Weather people are saying they are more concerned about black ice in this area when the storm hits. Sometimes there is no end to the bad weather.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
CNY is really grim in the winter - gray skies, cold and damp air, dirty snow piles and slush.
I lived there when I was young and active and it still got to me.

I would suggest the local YWCA for some gentle exercise classes and perhaps they have an inside walking track. Maybe the senior center has some exercise classes, too. I know some people don't care for senior centers but exercise classes might be a good source for meeting people.

Since you like music, how about LeMoyne College for some concerts? The parking might be easier than at Syracuse University.

There are some good movies out now if you have a friend or acquaintance to call to go with, maybe combined with lunch or an early dinner. Wishing you the best.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,162,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
There used to be a time in my life when I didn't know what a rut was . But I sure know what one is now and not making much headway getting out of it.

I've been medically retired since late 2010. Bilateral glaucoma surgeries. Long recovery. One eye still not "working" the way I'd like it to and it looks like it's a permanent thing.

Up until then I had a pretty bumpy road to ride on with various personal, employment, financial, family obstacles to overcome. I think once I had to go in for the eye surgeries and the very inactive recovery I had to adhere to, I more or less "deflated." In 2012 I had a knee surgery to clean out all the junk that was in there, then in 2014 I had a total knee replacement. So more time in recovery. I had already gotten used to the lack of activity due to eye surgeries, so it was "easy" to slip back into being a couch potato, TV watcher.

My oldest sister died two years ago after having spent 10 years in nursing home (long story, she was not well mentally or physically). Her adult daughter and I were the only relatives who could visit, advocate for her, etc., and I ended up doing most of it.

There were some other things that happened but already talked about too much.

So here I sit, Friday afternoon, brief nice weather interlude yesterday and today, heavy snow and cold winds forecasted for tomorrow. And I'm playing with computer and not dressed.

I've been telling myself I was due for this "rest". Worn out from all the above plus a few more.

But I'm 75 and putting on weight (not a good thing).

Before anyone here mentions it, yes I know I'm sitting on the pity pot. I'm the only one who can get myself off it.

That first step to get off it seems monumental to me. I find time flies by and before I know it, it's dark out and I don't go anywhere after dark (kind of a new thing for me).

Has anyone else "been there, done that?" How did you overcome it?

I don't think anything you posted is abnormal or strange. All of us have felt that way at times.......are we just marking time, or do we have some purpose to our lives ?

For me, retirement didn't work. I was becoming sloppy, sleeping in later and later. Taking naps in the afternoon, and entire days would go by without me doing anything worthwhile. So, after trying retirement twice, I went back to work (full time)and life is so much better and rewarding now. I really look forward to my two days off, they now mean something special to me.

Your health issues do not help, but there are ways you can still be productive and have purpose to your life. The cold Winter weather you are describing sure doesn't help a person's mood, I remember how depressing Winter was when I lived up North.

Wish I had some suggestions for you, maybe some others will be able to offer some. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:00 AM

1,068 posts, read 632,175 times
you need a bit of a routine to get out of the rut..join the closest gym to you..go every other day..don't worry bout trying to do too much..10 or 15 minutes on the treadmill, and 10 or 15 minutes on the nautilus machines..make yourself do it until it becomes routine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement