U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM

2,215 posts, read 743,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am a night owl and don't normally get to bed till about 1 a.m. I have a cat who wants me up between 4:30 and 6 a.m. I have a one-bedroom apartment and I have put him out of the room and shut the door. But he makes plenty of noise about that so I usually give in as I don't want him to wake my downstairs neighbor. So no, I won't create a barrier to not going back to bed. I don't do very well on 3-4 hours of sleep. And I can't always nap in the day. I do think about re-homing him, but feel guilty about doing that, as he sat in a cage at the SPCA for a while before I adopted him.

Since I am retired with not a lot of scheduled things to do, I give in to him. I'm an animal lover from way back and yes, it's my suffering for allowing this to continue. But I think I would suffer more not knowing where he went.
Why not if you don't make your bed and stay in your pajamas all day ?

(that was tongue in cheek here)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 01:12 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
as for making the bed - just don't sleep under the covers.

I just use a blanket to cover up with and sleep on top of the bedspread. No need to "make" the bed!

Old 01-13-2018, 01:30 PM

1,186 posts, read 663,199 times
Quote:
Much being said about making the bed as soon as you get up. I don't. And it is usually because one of my cats (usually Sam) likes to rise and shine very early (for me) around 5 or 6 and since I am a night owl and up till 1 a.m., the first thing I want is that cup of coffee. And on occasion, I go back to bed.
My eyes are very dry and at times when I wake up too early, they hurt pretty much and I have a hard time opening them (the light can be too much). After turning the coffee on, I have to get some artificial tears in them. So every morning is different for me. Thankfully, that does not happen every morning.
Don't worry about not making your bed first thing in the morning! An allergy doc told me it was healthier to air out the sheets as dust mites love that warm, humid environment. My whole family pulls back the bed coverings for awhile every morning instead of "making" the bed, including DH who was in the military.

Also, I can't stand to get dressed first thing - I like my coffee and then a shower before dressing. If I try to get dressed before a shower I feel out of sorts and icky all day. So you see everyone had to have a routine that works for them.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,071,153 times
Quote:
I am a night owl and don't normally get to bed till about 1 a.m. I have a cat who wants me up between 4:30 and 6 a.m. I have a one-bedroom apartment and I have put him out of the room and shut the door. But he makes plenty of noise about that so I usually give in as I don't want him to wake my downstairs neighbor. So no, I won't create a barrier to not going back to bed. I don't do very well on 3-4 hours of sleep. And I can't always nap in the day. I do think about re-homing him, but feel guilty about doing that, as he sat in a cage at the SPCA for a while before I adopted him.

Since I am retired with not a lot of scheduled things to do, I give in to him. I'm an animal lover from way back and yes, it's my suffering for allowing this to continue. But I think I would suffer more not knowing where he went.
I can relate to the early-rising critter. In my case, it's my dog who has to have her seizure meds before the crack of dawn. Once I'm up I can't go back to sleep but make up for it later in the day when I crash in the afternoon. I envy you the ability to go back to bed and sleep, especially on those cold dark winter mornings.

I wanted to mention one other thing. OP, up-thread you wrote about cat vs dog. I think you made the right decision to go with cats. I've always had both (usually multiples) but right now just have one dog. I'm thinking about just having cat/s after this dog has gone to her great reward. My reasoning is that as I get older (71 now) cats will be easier to maintain than dogs, especially exercise-wise. There will come a time when I won't be able to, or want to, go on walks as much as I do now. Inclement weather is a real challenge, as you know too well. Plus should I require someone to take care of my critter/s, cat care is much simpler to arrange than dog care.

For now, if you really want to walk a dog, I'll bet there might be someone in your complex who would share dog walks with you. I have a friend here in my community who does that for neighbors. She gets her exercise and her doggie fix and the neighbors' dogs get walks too. Some of the people walk their own dogs in the morning and she takes them for walks in the afternoon on nice days only. Works for everyone.

Anyhow, just my thoughts.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,241,188 times
movinon: I really enjoyed reading your post.

Re the dog walking idea.... there are two places I can go to volunteer to walk dogs. The SPCA is one and the other is a dog coalition (can't think of what they are called for real). But always looking for people to help. I'll do that. I did try volunteering at SPCA about a year ago to help the cats, but I found it really sad and difficult. So MANY of them, all locked in cages, not supposed to touch (they come up to the front of cage and stick out their paws, noses, etc.). I get caught in the moment and want to hold all of them and give them all a good home. But not realistic. I have a little trouble leaving them there.

But I think I could walk the dogs and be OK. At least they would be outdoors hopefully enjoying themselves.

I am really trying to wrap my head around why I feel so unhappy with the furry early riser. After all, I do have a lot of free time, I don't have to be anywhere. He obviously needs attention (he is extremely affectionate when it's his mood to be).

I really agreed with all that you wrote. Thank you.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:49 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
I was procrastinating on getting my apartment organized. I'd bought a wooden cube organizer thing & when I tried to put it together it wouldn't behave. I'd get one part together & the previous one fell apart. I just left it sitting on the floor in pieces...until today.

Decided, as I did at work when I was frustrated, (it's a machine, I'm a human being) that a darn piece of 'helpful' furniture wasn't going to undo me. Went to the store,got wood glue & small nails.

The darn thing is together now & actually looks good. But it took a week of procrastinating before I got it done.

I think the sunshine here helps. We had a couple days where it was cloudy. As the song says, What a difference a day makes.

I don't have a suggestion about your cat. I have been wondering about mine as she wants to go outside a lot & animals can't roam free here. I was even considering asking a woman who feeds outdoor cats if she would take her.

But, even though she is verbal about wanting to go outside, she's also real good about going inside when I say she must. She's now draped over my lap after her last afternoon outside spell. So no, she won't be going anywhere.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:47 PM

This has been a very interesting (to me) thread. I really appreciate those of you who shared here.

I am realizing I am not really in a rut. I'm just retired. Does that make sense?

Re my cat Sam who I have complained about here is really a very sweet cat and I do love him a lot.

I needed to be reminded of the things that are available to me to keep as busy as I want to be. I will look into a few of them. The library is within walking distance for me..... it has plenty to offer. I watched a program on PBS regarding a book "One Hundred Years Of Silence" and after listening to all the commentators, I'm anxious to see if I can find that book along with other books that were talked about.

I think I've climbed out of that rut. Thank you all.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,860,640 times
Sure OP, I think we all have days like that. Might be a problem if days turn into weeks, turn into months, etc. Might be low-grade depression if one never gets dressed, never gets out of the house...

Crummy weather and you'll find me in my PJ's, sometimes all day, investigating all kind of things on the 'net. But then my eyes get tired and I may turn to a book, or cleaning out a closet, or doing some yoga. Even <gasp> house-cleaning.

My life seems kind of well-balanced now, 4 years post "retirement." One morning a week, I sort books with the Friends of the Library -- a great group of people, book-lovers all.

Another morning I go to a fun breakfast group where we have intelligent--or silly-- conversation and a lot of laughter.

Then there's the gym, 2-5 times a week, and sometimes a walk in nature, weather permitting.

I still do some writing and editing projects, some pet-sitting.

And I like to cook simple, healthy food and try new ethnic recipes.

All in all, it's a simple, but kind of well-balanced life. I feel grateful for it. Wishing you the same. When you're ready. Takes some time to re-charge low batteries.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:53 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,934,527 times
You've described a typical day in my retired life, to a tee, and I'm way younger than you. But several health issues (including arthritis) have moderately impaired my ability to get up and do many things many days. "Manana" has become a common word in my vocabulary. Frankly, it doesn't really bother me - except when I see an advertisement on TV or in a flyer in the mail showing "sporty" 80 year olds playing tennis. When I look around this 55+ development, I realize that most old people are not running marathons, re-shingling their roofs, riding their trail bikes all over the Rocky Mountains, etc. Those are quite misleading images. You've been through a lot. There is no Fountain of Youth. You're 75 - that's pretty darn old, like it or not. Things actually could be worse. Many of my dearest friends have already passed away in their 60's. Not just a couple either.

That weight gain....are you on statins? Were you ever overweight earlier in life? After 9 or 10 months on statins I gained 30 pounds (which I now can't seem to lose). That was eating 1000 cal/day, if that. I suspect that at least a few people get a weight gain from those drugs. They radically alter your liver's function - especially with regard to metabolism. Just wondering.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-14-2018 at 01:11 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You've described a typical day in my retired life, to a tee, and I'm way younger than you. But several health issues (including arthritis) have moderately impaired my ability to get up and do many things many days. "Manana" has become a common word in my vocabulary. Frankly, it doesn't really bother me - except when I see an advertisement on TV or in a flyer in the mail showing "sporty" 80 year olds playing tennis. When I look around this 55+ development, I realize that most old people are not running marathons, re-shingling their roofs, riding their trail bikes all over the Rocky Mountains, etc. Those are quite misleading images. You've been through a lot. There is no Fountain of Youth. You're 75 - that's pretty darn old, like it or not. Things actually could be worse. Many of my dearest friends have already passed away in their 60's. Not just a couple either.

That weight gain....are you on statins? Were you ever overweight earlier in life? After 9 or 10 months on statins I gained 30 pounds (which I now can't seem to lose). That was eating 1000 cal/day, if that. I suspect that at least a few people get a weight gain from those drugs. They radically alter your liver's function - especially with regard to metabolism. Just wondering.
Consider yourself hugged!

I took statins years ago but doctor told me to stop taking them a few years ago. I think it was because a study showed they weren't all that wonderful. I could have put on some weight then, but at that particular time of my life, I was a lot more active. Since then I have had to take steroids at various times (my eye problem) and they are known for adding weight among other things. I also use steroid eye drops every day. Add to that the fact I am not as active as I once was. I also have arthritis. I do take some meds for the pain (never the oxy- type, tho). As you noted, I have been through a lot. More than I like to look back on. But I'm very glad I survived it all. (Suicide was a frequent thought). I think what is happening to me now is a more or less "let-down", finally realizing I don't have to do a lot of the stuff I once did. I kind of hated giving in to it, it was never me to do that. But there is no reason now to keep plugging away like I did. It's time to let go and enjoy life. Once this frigid weather is gone, I know I will get out more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement