Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Many of the threads here talk about volunteering as a way to feel useful, pass time, give back (hate that term), meet new people, etc. But I am curious about what people are actually doing at their volunteer gigs. What are the tasks you do? Are you cooking, serving meals, answering phones, sitting at a hospital visitor desk?

Sometimes I think about volunteering but don't want to feel like I am going to work. So please let us know what you do. It would help to know what kind of organization you volunteer at. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:13 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
I am an English Tutor for an adult student, twice per week. I signed up with my county Literacy Council. With the same organization, I am also a Teacher Assistant 2 evenings per week for an adult class learning English. I love it.

My local community college offers an English for Learners of Second languages program, and I'll get my ESOL certificate in May. I may be able to get paid employment after that; but it does not pay well. I am doing this for the enjoyment of teaching; as I found out that is my true calling. I was a professional in the pharmaceutical industry.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Many of the threads here talk about volunteering as a way to feel useful, pass time, give back (hate that term), meet new people, etc. But I am curious about what people are actually doing at their volunteer gigs. What are the tasks you do? Are you cooking, serving meals, answering phones, sitting at a hospital visitor desk?

Sometimes I think about volunteering but don't want to feel like I am going to work. So please let us know what you do. It would help to know what kind of organization you volunteer at. Thanks.
Ok - tomorrow I am going to help out with the Food Bank. A big truck comes from the big city (San Antonio) to our small rural town. We help unload the truck and batch up the items and load them up in the clients cars as they drive through. And yes, it is a good physical workout. We do this once a month.

I help with the library - fund raising mostly. Helping with bake sales and that type of thing. Or helping entertain the kids when we have events for them.

I started a community facebook page to spread info about our small town. That keeps me busy. We keep it positive.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:19 PM

oh I also signed up to sub at our schools. I've only done three assignments. I like afternoon half day assignments, so hard to come by.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:21 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
I volunteered at the past Ironman Triathlon. Worked the registration desk both days, (four shifts), then worked in the bike transition area during the actual event. A couple weeks later, I worked at the local Gran Fondo at the finish line giving out medals. So, both volunteer opportunities were cycling related events. Next year, I'll ride the Gran Fondo myself and let someone else hand out the finisher medals.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,122 times
I have gone from being someone who got there 15 minutes early to not being able to be anywhere on time, so I don't volunteer. I have horses and 25 acres to keep me occupied.

However----- if I was going to be a volunteer, I would volunteer at an equine therapy facility. They are always in need of help.

The person doesn't necessarily need horse experience, just a lot of common sense and sympathy/understanding for the person sitting on the horse; experienced horse people handle the horse while other volunteers help steady the rider.

Equestrian Therapy | Horse Therapy for Children & Adults with Special Needs

Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
At our local library, I pull customer-requested materials from the shelves. Then I sort the labeled items onto our 'holds are here - come pick them up' shelves. If there's not enough of that for me to do, I reshelve media.

I do that because I'm basically not a social person, so anything working with people wouldn't be a good match (which rules out most volunteer jobs). Plus, this gives me some good exercise - especially upper-body - for a couple of hours a week.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
I do volunteer with this organization:

https://www.newyorkcares.org

Few different projects I am doing now include:

--Tutoring kids/young adults in a group that are going for their GED

--Teach/play chess with kids at a library

--Creative writing with residents at a nursing home

Old 01-11-2018, 06:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
When I was recovering from a stroke 11 years ago, I became very aware of the need for someone to run errands for the elderly and shut-ins. I was able to take a taxi to my daily physical/occupational therapy sessions for 6+ months after the stroke but many shut-ins cant afford that. There are groups that will taxi them where they need to go but, again, those services can cost $$$.

So, now that I've retired, I'm running errands (picking up prescriptions, buying groceries, taking pets to the vet, checking on them, etc) for several shut-ins. It's very fulfilling.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
When I was recovering from a stroke 11 years ago, I became very aware of the need for someone to run errands for the elderly and shut-ins. I was able to take a taxi to my daily physical/occupational therapy sessions for 6+ months after the stroke but many shut-ins cant afford that. There are groups that will taxi them where they need to go but, again, those services can cost $$$.

So, now that I've retired, I'm running errands (picking up prescriptions, buying groceries, taking pets to the vet, checking on them, etc) for several shut-ins. It's very fulfilling.
I feel like this is something I should also do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement