U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:59 AM

71,737 posts, read 71,853,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This makes me feel better about my dentures. I only wear the uppers usually because the lower ones don't stay in well. I was debating implants vs dentures but the cost threw me for a loop.
i use a top denture because i can . it stays . the bottom was a horror . i could not live with the bottom . the jaw flex's to much , my jaw may be shaped poorly to hold a denture , but for whatever reason LIFE SUCKED with it .

i would never implant the top . .no reason to , it usually stays with some glue just fine .

the top jaw is very thin to , like balsa wood compared to the bottom which is like oak . the odds of rejection on the top run very high .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 AM

71,737 posts, read 71,853,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have 2 partial dentures which are a nuisance much of the time. Everything I have learned about implants gives me sticker shock. Is there any good news that I haven't heard?
yeah , the good news is the top denture works fine . it is only the bottom that usually needs implants or the quality of life with the denture sucks

Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,820,131 times
Many years ago, I tore out one of my front crowns biting down on a BBRib, Got a partial, couldn't get used to it, had an implant installed, for the past fifteen or so years, it's held up just fine. Since then I've lost my molars+, my Dentist is always pushing implants, if I had longevity in my genes I'd think about them, I don't think I'll be around long enough to warrant the expense.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 AM

1,386 posts, read 467,553 times
I spent a ton of $$ on my teeth so when I am retired and broke I won't have to pay for dental work. My second implant goes in next week. The one I had done 3 years ago has held up extremely well and was worth the $$. I also had periodontal issues, so we did Invisalign and then crowns on all the front teeth. Worth every penny.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,839 posts, read 54,538,129 times
I have 4, over about 5 years, and they were about $4,000 each. I only paid about half since they were done while I still had dental insurance through work, and also on my wife's through her work. Mine were all due to the crashing of my upper and lower teeth, and should have had orthodontics as a kid. Now have a night guard, and no more problems since.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 AM

1,068 posts, read 519,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
My wife has already done one in the front mostly for cosmetic purposes.

But I have only one functional molar left on the bottom, and am looking forward to at least three molar implants over the next two-three years. I started with an extraction of a tooth that originally had a crown but deteriorated so that the crown fell off--Today. Am going to a maxi-faciallary surgeon who took it out and then stitched it up. Never had stitching after an extraction before.

Next step is a 3D CT scan for $300, and then they put a pin in the bone. If I donít have enough bone, then they have to put in cadaver bone to stimulate bone growth, and then put in the pin. Then comes a crown that screws into the pin.

Maybe two molars, and then one on the other side with a bridge. Mucho bucks. Iíll have to take out a loan, like buying a car.

Amazingly... almost no pain so far. My wife said that the bone drilling was less than having a filling done.
Arenít implants relatively new?

What did people do before implants?

Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 AM

1,068 posts, read 519,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I dont plan to have perfect teth to impress everyone on the nursing home. Ill save my money. Heard too many horror stories.
Bingo.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM

2,207 posts, read 1,352,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had 7 implants put in 8 years ago . i reject one in months .

over the 8 years i rejected 1/2 of them . i put in 4 more almost two years ago . so far so good but that is almost 40k in work for the 2 times ..

the newer ones are a new design and very tiny compared to the standard ones . the bicon miniatures are supposedly less prone to rejection .
You have mentioned before that you "rejected" some of the implants. What exactly does that mean? Did the bone not hold up? Did you get infections? What does rejected mean in this context?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 AM

13,326 posts, read 25,323,548 times
Since I'm on my third lower partial, my dentist consulted with the oral surgeon, who suggested three implants in the lower front.

I told him that I would be paying off implants until I after I die, so I'll stick to my partial. But this third one is proving to be a real pain to get adjusted, though.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM

1,662 posts, read 1,529,045 times
My teeth are pretty good as I've never had a root canal or crown but I am cursed with periodontal disease and recessed gums - earlier in life I brushed my teeth too hard and flossed only a few times a week. About 15 years ago, I went to a periodontist for a complete deep cleaning and gum surgery on a back molar. My regular cleanings were increased to every 4 months and I started flossing daily. Around age 60, despite flossing daily, the size of my periodontal pockets started to increase and I am now on a 3 month cleaning schedule plus I regularly use a small brush to clean the gum line in addition to flossing. My dental regimen is tedious and time consuming and I may still lose that back molar at some point. If that is the only tooth I lose, I will count myself lucky. If I eased off on the dental care, I’m sure I would lose several more teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or