U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:41 AM

23,645 posts, read 8,219,173 times

Advertisements

I've posted a lot in the Dental area of H&W about my mouthful of dental work despite the greatness of this so called fluoridation, another sore spot. I have so cut back on carbs/sugars and make my own coconut oil toothpaste and have not been to a dentist in over 6 yrs. My dental health is good at 79, but I've had a lot of work done in my life...

Thanks to carbs, sugars and fluorides....you 3 have not been my friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 11:49 AM

9,893 posts, read 3,269,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is vastly cheaper than it used to be. I have major upper implants in half the upper jaw. Actually have a piece of bone taken out of the back of my knee to create enough bone. All done 20 years ago...took 9 months and cost $30,000. The two hole lower done a year ago cost around $3,000. It costs but if you can work the money it is pretty much wonderful. Mine have held up perfectly so far...and are just like natural teeth.
hmm..

I had a front tooth done twenty years ago too. It had been knocked out as a kid and thus the bone loss was such that i had to have cadaver bone added and that took almost a year and a half due to the amount of new bone required and of course some time for the post to secure itself into the new bone. My total billing for that including the cap part was about 6k (not adjusted for inflation).
i have had two more since and they were faster and much less invasive and about 5k. my prices include both the implant place and my regular dentist who does the screw on tooth part. both are top notch places. 30k seems really high to me.

I have to say it is some of the best money i have ever spent in my life. I would recommend it to anyone who can afford it.

i suggest anyone getting multiple teeth done go and price it out and TELL THEM YOU ARE GETTING BIDS and they will give you their best price. make sure you compare apples to apples. make sure you know what is included and what is extra. what is covered under "warranty"

i love my front implant, it is there 20 years and has never needed any work at all. And it has saved its partner that was overloaded for years.

replacing the old root canal molars improved my health. no longer do my gums swell up etc. My oral health is excellent now and i strongly recommend implants for anyone who can afford it.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,373,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have mentioned before that you "rejected" some of the implants. What exactly does that mean? Did the bone not hold up? Did you get infections? What does rejected mean in this context?
There are several reasons, in fact when you agree to an implant you must sign a form with many disclosures on it. Most of the bone grafts are done with cadaver, cow or synthetic. Sometimes those don't take. There is, in fact, risk of rare problems with things like accidentally hitting a nerve, or infection. There are also contributing to high risk of failure such as high alcohol consumption, smoking, and diabetes. Your body could also just reject it, as happens sometimes with organ transplants. There is more but that's all I remember as my last was a couple of years ago. The dentist actually sat and discussed it in length with pictures and diagrams, then I sat with the insurance person to go over the potential costs.

The price has come down because more dentists are doing it, not just a few or just oral surgeons. One place here advertises on TV implants complete for $1,995.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM

23,645 posts, read 8,219,173 times
It's become assembly line business just like other surgeries in our medical world.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM

50 posts, read 27,816 times
Itís actually still better and cheaper in cost in the UK the US lags further behind in this regard.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:24 PM

324 posts, read 116,331 times
I've had plenty. None of it has been cheap. I started having surgery when I was a young teen. I got the genetic short-straw when it comes to teeth. They are just bad, just like my dads.

Take care of what you have.

Don't shop around for the cheapest deals. Go for quality. Ask people who they recommend. Pay more to have it done once. When I was in university I went to a cheap place, they were local and reasonably inexpensive (none of this stuff can be considered cheap in my area) and had 3 implants done but they failed and after I moved I went with a higher-priced practice. it turns out all 3 of my old posts were counterfeit. None of the standard caps fit them. The hardware was sold as an add-on or bonus from ordering other equipment but it was not to standard specs. I got the Wolex of Rolex- it just wasn't right and the tools used for working with Rolex wouldn't work on the Wolex knock-offs. Yes, I've had a lot of cadaver bone implanted too- no big deal if you can stomach the thought of it (though you do need to pay for it lol). I'd have needed much less if I got the real implants the first time around- keep in mind I had no idea there were different qualities of implants. They were 5-600 dollars a pop so I didn't think it was too cheap to be suspicious. I had every reason to expect quality the first time. I am now at 6-8 implants btw. It's kind of hard to keep track because I have bridged too- so some things are implants and others are build on.

You do need to have comfort while eating for health. Don't cheap out because it will end up costing you in the long run. Don't put it off because you will end up needing even more work. My problems are so long lived that I stopped enjoying food. I got very skinny- which other people thought was amazing but I hated it. With implants I can eat- maybe not real sticky, hard or chewy stuff but I can eat. It's a big improvement in quality of life.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:26 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Arenít implants relatively new?

What did people do before implants?
they suffered miserably with full dentures on the bottom .

Old 01-12-2018, 02:27 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have mentioned before that you "rejected" some of the implants. What exactly does that mean? Did the bone not hold up? Did you get infections? What does rejected mean in this context?
your body dissolves the bone for whatever reason from around the implant and calcium builds up underneath eventually popping it out of the bone .

Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM

6,604 posts, read 3,736,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Arenít implants relatively new?

What did people do before implants?
George Washington had dentures made of wood. And he was wealthy! I imagine the poor went without teeth.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 AM

294 posts, read 148,682 times
Default ...preventive maintenance...

I read these posts about implants as a reminder to maintain sound oral hygiene. You have my sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or