U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,172 times

Advertisements

I have extreme good luck with my teeth. Kind of like the Dr. that described our beloved Presidents good health yesterday. Good genetics.

I have only had one cavity in my entire life, in the fourth grade, and that dentist was notorious alcoholic, back in the 50's and I think he just made it up.

I have gone for cleanings on rare occasion. The dentist always was amazed that my teeth needed so little cleaning.

My mother had very nice looking teeth, never a cavity, my father had dentures, upper and lower. I actually never saw my father with any of his original teeth. I remember my mother sort of indicating that he didn't use proper hygiene in regard to his teeth.

I brush my teeth at least every morning and often more. I like to crunch of different types of food that clean my teeth naturally. My favorite food to clean my teeth are honey mustard pretzel pieces. Really does a good job and tastes better than chewing on a dog bone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 2,537,158 times
I have the kind of upper dentures that did clip on to 4 implants. One came out then another, and I went awhile with my dentures held in by 2 implants and I do have a couple of teeth on one side that also help. This is not suppose to work.
Yesterday another implant started to hurt, by late afternoon it was hurting pretty good, in the early evening it was still pretty secure. Later I sensed to grab it and it came right out.
Overnight and no more hurt. I had great worry about getting new dentures, whats going to happen? Implants don’t work with me.
But my dentures still seem to work, they are moulded to my mouth shape and so far stay in and I can eat.
They kept breaking where one of the metal clips is and their broken now, i’m just waiting till they really break before going to the dentist as I’m tired of paying to get them fixed.
But now I can get them remade without the metal clips moulded inside which is the weak point.
Implants aren't for everyone.
I searched to find this thread and I saw I also posted #4

Old 07-16-2018, 10:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
I have one implant at the back and so far, so good, apx 8 years old. I broke a front upper at the root and the dentist drilled into my jaw bone and then into the tooth, and glued in a metal rod. He advises it is very fragile, so cut up everything and don't bite with it.

At some point, I'll need an implant: $4,800 The dentist mentioned bone graft. Now that I've read about cadaver and animal bone being used, I am completely horrified !!!!! I am a vegetarian and that is simply NOT an option. Does anyone here have experience with the synthetic bone?

The cost of dental work is appalling. It must be a plot !

I feel sorry for all we old folks (and younger ones) who are experiencing issues.

Another thought on failed implants. I was advised that if I were a smoker, there would be no guarantee. So apparently smoking has something to do with bone density.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:17 AM

6,551 posts, read 1,344,624 times
FWIW (I know that I am only speaking from ONE experience, my own!) -- I would not have another implant done. It was not fit properly so there is a gap at the bottom between that and the adjoining tooth, and now whenever I eat anything, I have food stuck and it is noticeable. I asked my dentist if anything could be done, and he said No.

Well, live and learn -- I am just glad that it was only one tooth, so now I am about $3,500 poorer, but wiser. When the time comes, I will get dentures. (Funny enough, I have known about four people who had dentures, and they were all happy with them. No problems eating, and I could not tell that their teeth were fake -- of course, it was not like I was examining their mouths, lol.)

Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 AM

6,105 posts, read 1,827,564 times
I have one implant about 7 years ago, free, courtesy of the military.

Within 4 years is broke and I needed it replaced, luckily the screw inside was loose enough to remove and replace or they would’ve had to remove the entire damn implant and start from scratch

In hindsight I should’ve taken better care of my natural tooth but, you live and you learn

Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
I lost the back, upper tooth, just fell out. After reviewing the implant and costs, just decided to do without...don't miss it at all. Of course it depends on which tooth is affected...

thinking about dental insurance now...as it's time for the occasional baby boomer tooth to fail after a lifetime of use...

Old 07-16-2018, 12:12 PM

563 posts, read 266,085 times
I have bridge work, my upper front 6 teeth thanks to my short lived 1st marriage in the 70's . He knocked my teeth out. I've also had some crowns which are shot now, maybe due to age. And I now have receding gums result of years of aggressive tooth brushing and the wear and tear that occurs with aging according to the Dentist. I wish I could get implants but after talking to people that have them, I decided to pass because of the cost and risk of losing that money. There are success stories but also fails. I think I'll just go the old fashioned way and get plates.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM

71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
dentures can usually work fine on the top . many of us can't use them on the bottom and the quality of life SUCKS!

the bottom jaw and tongue movement can make all the difference in the world compared to dentures on the top . my surgeon rarely recommends implants on the top .

they are usually not needed and a denture works well .

if the bottom jaw is like oak the top is flimsy and like balsa wood . rejections are high on the top and risk of puncturing the sinus cavity is very high .

Old 07-16-2018, 03:50 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Aren’t implants relatively new?

What did people do before implants?
George Washington was reputed to have wooden false teeth.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 564,869 times
I’ve had problem teeth from the get go. I had extensive work done decades ago that is still going strong. If you have a university near you that has a School of Dentistry, look into it. I had the majority of my work done at Georgetown University dental school before it folded. I simply could not have afforded the work they did if I had used a private dentist.

You will have students work on you under the guidance and supervision of one of the professors there. The main drawback is that they’re slow, as you would expect. However, my results were excellent and have lasted me decades.

There were a few humorous incidents, remember that these are students and cut them some slack. One female student was working on a cap during one of my visits. She had taken the cap back out after marking it and was grinding/polishing some areas on it. At one point, she held it up to her mouth and blew some dust off. As soon as she did it she jumped in her chair like she had gotten an electric shock and started apologizing profusely. She told me that was a no-no, always to use an air gun. I said yeah, I can understand, easy way to spread germs. She looked really embarrassed and said that wasn’t the only reason. She confessed that the last time she blew off a tooth like that, it was a front tooth...that was still in the guy’s mouth. I almost fell out of the chair laughing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or