U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:17 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,812,950 times

Advertisements

My wife has already done one in the front mostly for cosmetic purposes.

But I have only one functional molar left on the bottom, and am looking forward to at least three molar implants over the next two-three years. I started with an extraction of a tooth that originally had a crown but deteriorated so that the crown fell off--Today. Am going to a maxi-faciallary surgeon who took it out and then stitched it up. Never had stitching after an extraction before.

Next step is a 3D CT scan for $300, and then they put a pin in the bone. If I donít have enough bone, then they have to put in cadaver bone to stimulate bone growth, and then put in the pin. Then comes a crown that screws into the pin.

Maybe two molars, and then one on the other side with a bridge. Mucho bucks. Iíll have to take out a loan, like buying a car.

Amazingly... almost no pain so far. My wife said that the bone drilling was less than having a filling done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,020,732 times
I have 2 partial dentures which are a nuisance much of the time. Everything I have learned about implants gives me sticker shock. Is there any good news that I haven't heard?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 PM

12,889 posts, read 4,870,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I have 2 partial dentures which are a nuisance much of the time. Everything I have learned about implants gives me sticker shock. Is there any good news that I haven't heard?
It is vastly cheaper than it used to be. I have major upper implants in half the upper jaw. Actually have a piece of bone taken out of the back of my knee to create enough bone. All done 20 years ago...took 9 months and cost $30,000. The two hole lower done a year ago cost around $3,000. It costs but if you can work the money it is pretty much wonderful. Mine have held up perfectly so far...and are just like natural teeth.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM

3,990 posts, read 2,544,884 times
My upper dentures clip onto what was suppose ti be 4 implants. Two of the implants came out, the dentist put in another in the same area and it started to hurt and he removed it.
So my dentures are held in by only 2 implants plus I do have 2 teeth on one side that also hold them in.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:05 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,278,461 times
I have a fear of the implant work no matter the costs. I have a lot of dental work over my life and am now holding on to what I have, have some work that does it fine for me.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 PM

8,795 posts, read 7,710,113 times
I dont plan to have perfect teth to impress everyone on the nursing home. Ill save my money. Heard too many horror stories.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 PM

4,977 posts, read 3,462,838 times
This makes me feel better about my dentures. I only wear the uppers usually because the lower ones don't stay in well. I was debating implants vs dentures but the cost threw me for a loop.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 AM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
I had a lot of teeth extracted in my 20's because I was broke and stupid. If they weren't front teeth, I didn't much care. But then in my 50's, all the original crowns were breaking down and some additional teeth were decaying, and I didn't have much chewing surface in the back. I didn't want to have real tooth/fake tooth/real tooth, all of different colors. So I got the whole mouth reconstruction, with three implants, all new crowns and some bridges, braces to align the teeth....oh, it was a five-year process and I never added up all the money because I didn't want to know.

That work was finished 10 years ago, and I was told it usually lasts 10 years! What? I'm only 67 and I sure don't plan on going through all this again!!! So far I am really maintaining/flossing them religiously and my dentist says they're in good shape, so I'm just praying they last til I kick the big one.

If money is an issue, try dental schools near you to see if you can get work done at a discount.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:49 AM

295 posts, read 149,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I had a lot of teeth extracted in my 20's because I was broke and stupid. If they weren't front teeth, I didn't much care. But then in my 50's, all the original crowns were breaking down and some additional teeth were decaying, and I didn't have much chewing surface in the back. I didn't want to have real tooth/fake tooth/real tooth, all of different colors. So I got the whole mouth reconstruction, with three implants, all new crowns and some bridges, braces to align the teeth....oh, it was a five-year process and I never added up all the money because I didn't want to know.

That work was finished 10 years ago, and I was told it usually lasts 10 years! What? I'm only 67 and I sure don't plan on going through all this again!!! So far I am really maintaining/flossing them religiously and my dentist says they're in good shape, so I'm just praying they last til I kick the big one.

If money is an issue, try dental schools near you to see if you can get work done at a discount.
Very educational post, Avalon08. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,801,099 times
i had 7 implants put in 8 years ago . i reject one in months .

over the 8 years i rejected 1/2 of them . i put in 4 more almost two years ago . so far so good but that is almost 40k in work for the 2 times ..

the newer ones are a new design and very tiny compared to the standard ones . the bicon miniatures are supposedly less prone to rejection .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or