U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 2,551,339 times

Advertisements

My husband likes a leave-in conditioning cream or lotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 12,392,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My mother put some crap on my hair when I was a kid. I've never used anything since then. I just brush it into place after I shower and it's dry in a few minutes. No need to put anything in it.
Growing up in the 1950's and early 60's we put a lot of grease in our hair even vaseline. Goop it was.

Then along came the beatles, the Elvis look sort of went away and I haven't used any goop since the mid 1960's. I wash it with cheap Suave, dry it with a towel, brush it and I am done.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:09 PM

9,535 posts, read 9,420,509 times
I use Wildroot occasionally, but that might not be a tonic.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM

6,272 posts, read 4,740,348 times
Hair tonic? I did not even know they made such a thing for men's hair. Is it like bear grease?

I wash my hair with Ivory soap, 99.44% pure without any stinkum or other additives. I once tried my wife's shampoo. It had grease or oil in it that would not wash out! Made no sense to me. I assumed soap was supposed to wash out that sort of thing. She has body soap that does the same thing! They call it "moisturizer". It is grease as far as I am concerned and not something I would want in my hair or on my skin.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 PM

979 posts, read 606,846 times
This thread brought back memories of my late father who used as long as I can remember Vaseline hair tonic. My sister and I used to give him several bottles each Christmas which would last him the entire year. As the years progressed it because difficult to find, and several years prior to our father's death my sister found a place on the internet that carried it and ordered him 10 bottles. Those bottles lasted our father until he passed at age 87 which I might add with a full head of hair which he believed it was that Vaseline tonic that prevented him from going bald like his older brother who was as bald as a cue ball by the time he was 40.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM

6,272 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I think I would rather be bald than spend my life with Vaseline in my hair. I cannot begin to imagine what chair backs, car headrests, and pillows must have looked like.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM

9,583 posts, read 10,933,686 times
I haven't seen these products in stores for year, but they must sell them somewhere because internet shoping is only about twenty years old. I was talking to a neighbor the other day about keeping mice and pack rats out of vehicles. I've been using mothballs. He suggested Vicks VapoRub, another product that I haven't seen for years. It's available at a local dollar store but the dollar store is a recent phenomenon. Then there's Royal Pudding.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:25 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,132,700 times
Thumbs up Grave Before Shave for beard and mustache

The only time I've used "hair tonic" is when I go to the real barbershop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I don't use anything these days, but can anyone recommend a good, nonpetroleum based mustache wax?
I use Grave Before Shave (GBS), their beard balm uses botanical oils, the mustache wax is mostly beeswax, but ingredients does list petroleum jelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
... he believed it was that Vaseline tonic that prevented him from going bald like his older brother who was as bald as a cue ball by the time he was 40.

I though you were kidding.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM

979 posts, read 606,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I think I would rather be bald than spend my life with Vaseline in my hair. I cannot begin to imagine what chair backs, car headrests, and pillows must have looked like.
Although the Vaseline tonic my father used must have had some Vaseline components in it, it really was not greasy and had almost a water consistency which my father used just a couple of drops to keep his thick red very wavy hair in place. Compared to the multiple products many men use these days to keep their hair looking the way they want it, my father's use of Vaseline tonic was minimal in comparison.

You might want to do a little research on the Ivory soap you use to wash your hair, it is one of the most harshest soaps on the planet which has nothing to do with scent but the components used to make this soap which will strip any natural oils you have in your hair. And if you are bald or going bald using Ivory soap to wash what remains of your hair will speed the balding process. If you prefer using soap to wash your hair instead of shampoo, a better choice would be in bar form Ligget or Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap which are much less harsh on hair than Ivory. Dr. Bronner's is readily available at most health food stores as well as regular drug and grocery stores. Ligget is a little harder to find in stores, some health food stores carry it, but very easy to get online.

I used for a number of years a bar shampoo that I would order online from a place called Daybreak Herb Farm that was located in Ohio, but sadly they went out of business a couple of years ago and I have yet to find another bar shampoo soap that is as good as they one they manufactured. But my search continues.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:38 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
What is it today?

This thread pops up on my active threads.

Wyoming - the Winter of 1949 pops up on my YouTube?

I am going to have to go incognito.

Hair tonic - that is something my grandfather used before he went bald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or