U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,131,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You wouldn't get Medicaid in Texas. The cutoff is $6k income a year. er.
Gotta love Texas. The land of low taxes.

This retired Social Worker saw many a poor retiree do just fine in our high tax state of CA. Subsided senior housing. Medicaid and social services supportive by the state. I know that some conservatives hate helping the deserving poor, but thatís why Iím good living in a high tax state. WWJD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:44 PM

11,963 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Ok so I guess you and I have very different ideas of "ok". First medicaid does not cover every thing. What happens if you need a prescription? Next what do you actually do?? Ride the bus all day? No room for vacations??
Never having to go to work again is a vacation

Old 01-13-2018, 09:05 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Let's say you retire early and then your money runs out about the time when you start collecting Social Security.

It seems like you could do OK even as a single person. Let's say you get $1,500/month in Social Security.

You can move into a subsidized senior complex where you pay 1/3 of your income, which would be $500. You'd also get $200/month or so in food stamps, and you would also get Medicaid. If you live in a city, you could get senior bus/train passes which should be very cheap.

So really, your monthly expenses would be as follows:

$500 Rent
$50 Bus pass
$300 Food (since $200 is covered by food stamps)
$0 Medical since you get Medicaid
$50 cell phone with unlimited data
$100 household goods
------------
$1,000 total expenses per month

That means you would have $500 left over for whatever you want. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
So, where's the OP?

I have roughly $400/month on SSI, after paying my rent and insurance and internet.

Even when I go to the food bank, this doesn't leave much for groceries, laundry, gas for my truck, etc. So, every month, I have to decide - do I get the tune-up my truck needs or hold onto that money in case my dog gets sick, etc. Do I buy the shelves i really need in my bedroom or pay for a tune-up on my truck.

When people talk about people on "welfare" like we're living high on the hog, they're nuts. When you don't have enough money to decide whether or not to get dog food or a tune-up for your car, there is a huge amount of stress in your life. This is not living high on the hog.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,158,662 times
Quote:
Let's say you retire early and then your money runs out about the time when you start collecting Social Security.

It seems like you could do OK even as a single person. Let's say you get $1,500/month in Social Security.

You can move into a subsidized senior complex where you pay 1/3 of your income, which would be $500. You'd also get $200/month or so in food stamps, and you would also get Medicaid. If you live in a city, you could get senior bus/train passes which should be very cheap.

$500 Rent
$50 Bus pass
$100 household goods
------------

That means you would have $500 left over for whatever you want. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Until the current administration starts eating away at your Medicaid and food stamps. You could also live in a tent and live even cheaper, but who would want that kind of life ?

Yes, some people probably do exist on SS only, but I wouldn't want their life.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 PM

2,988 posts, read 2,231,123 times
Quote:

$500 Rent
$50 Bus pass
$100 household goods
------------

Not a bad deal assuming everything falls into place which is hardly guaranteed.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM

5,406 posts, read 2,330,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
ss wasn't originally established to be the sole income for folk's retirement - but it appears that in the next several decades, more and more americans will depend on it as their only source of retirement income....
+1.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 577,574 times
The Food Stamp [SNAP] estimate is out-of-the ballpark. First of all the maximum gross monthly limit for fiscal year 2018 is $1,307 a month, so a $1,500 income disqualifies a single person. Even if your income was lower, the closer you are to the income limit, the less you are qualified for. Some people get $10 a month in SNAP benefits.

Subsidized housing, like the previous poster said, almost always have waiting lists. For myself, multi-generational living like families used to do is looking better and better, but it is sometimes not an option.

Bus fare? It seems to depend on the place...

This is kind of a fun thread -- but costs seem to change so much every year that it is hard to predict 5 years out, let alone 20.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Medicaid does cover prescriptions. Copays are usually $3. Women I know in these developments use buses, some have very old cars, or carpool with friends. They manage. They really do and are very happy, generally. One I know even manages to get to Europe every two years or so - think she works as a tour guide or similar. She's got it all figured out.
my bad, I'm thinking medicare.
listen if you want to live a life just "managing" go for it. the fact that anyone is making plans to live poor blows my mind.

I have no desire to live that way. lol now I live in philly, lots of public transportation. standing on the corner in 5 degree weather?? thanks but no thanks. Our scetion 8 housing are not "cute" most of the seniors have 12 locks on their doors and don't come out after dark. we have 2 newer, nicer projects, I believe there is a 2 year waiting list.

so ill keep teaching my kids to work and save, this way when they can plan on a wonderful life without SS

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 01-13-2018 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Lol if living off of social security is so wonderful, why haven't we heard about it?? Why is there supposedly a retirement crisis? Why the need to save if it's all these seniors living la vida loca in section 8 housing?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 PM

597 posts, read 352,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You all are wasting your time trying to provide sincere responses to the OP. He is in his early 30s and plans to retire "early" (whatever that means). In any case, trying to estimate what he'll receive from Social Security in 30 years (especially given that he may have decades of zero SS earnings), what he'll receive in food stamps in 30 years (assuming the program is even in existence under its current rules), and what subsidized housing will be available (and at what price) in 30 years, is totally pointless.
Similar post on one of our local forums recently. Probably a troll, but if not, so much to learn. Many retirees would like to be able to afford a small gift for their grandchild, buy some new clothes, pay for repairs etc.
Here it is pretty much agreed that a single person who needs to rent will have a really basic life on the single pension (about $US1100 per month) They will often have to move away from family and friends to somewhere cheaper and that will often be the worst thing. Here people who own their homes can live simply but comfortably on that amount. But you have a lot less choices in life and that is something I would want to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or