U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:16 PM

597 posts, read 353,017 times

Advertisements

One thing we do all get here in Sydney when we turn 60 and if we are retired is $2.50 a day public transport. If we are self-funded retirees that is about all we get until we turn 65. So people get inordinately pleased with this cheap travel and as a friend's son complained, go on and on and on about it! But it is very successful in getting older people off the roads and most of my friends now get public transport if they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:20 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,935,832 times
I know a guy doing pretty much the same. The bad part is Medicaid. The options he has for healthcare are terrible. So bad that if he gets an attack of gout he just toughs it out. His glucose is around 200 but he refuses to go back to that shabby facility. So he runs around diabetic. He cut himself last year and had to go to this utterly awful place to get a few stiches (I'd be too scared to even walk in there). The Medicaid part alone nixes the whole idea. Things start happening to people in their 50's. That's when you need good health insurance. BTW, if you accumulate too much money in your bank account (and it isn't that much) you'll lose your food stamps.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:57 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,196,725 times
The OP has obviously figured SS income from ssa.gov. Start with rent and go from there. No job, so go for a cheap city. You could probably find something in Detroit for $800. Roommate pays half so that's $400. You can probably cut food costs to $250. In Detroit, a monthly bus pass is only $17. That frees up a few more dollars.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-14-2018 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: Add info.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:57 AM

11,128 posts, read 8,540,714 times
The root of this argument is that the poor and those getting public benefits are doing better than those that work and pay their own bills.

This idea comes up every couple of months. It's obvious that people don't know what It's like to have your life constrained by the availability and limits of public support.

Then there is also the social/political issue. Don't spend a lifetime complaining about people mooching off of welfare and benefits when you intend to live off of benefits when you retire.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:20 AM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
for the most part ss are benefits paid in by people who worked and their employer so ss is user funded , except for spousal ,which i think should be ended at this stage , but for the better part welfare benefits are paid to those who don't work or worked little and paid in nothing to little. there will always be exceptions to both but for the most part ss is user funded . welfare is not

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-14-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 05:23 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,048,724 times
That is not living. That is merely existing.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:33 AM

13,910 posts, read 7,405,593 times
My house is paid for and has fairly low ownership costs. I have 35 high income years. I could live fairly comfortably on my $44.5k defer-to-70 Social Security check if I had a catastrophe and ran out of money. My age 62 check having to pay health insurance? Not so much if ACA goes away.

I imagine Medicaid is going to have a work requirement soon. That won’t be an early retirement option. In my state, Medicaid is 25% of the state budget. It’s not fair to allow early retirees to game the system while the rest of us pay for it. There are too many Boomers to allow it to continue much longer. If you’re disabled? Sure.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
That is not living. That is merely existing.
unfortunately that's the retirement plan for many...

Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 AM

71,563 posts, read 71,730,589 times
that is because unfortunately not working is not a right . it is a privilege for those who can afford not to .so the reality is many will be forced to live stressful lifestyles where they sweat every bill and un expected expense as well as live lifestyles they really don't like .

i always say , if you think working at 62 is tough or finding a job is rough try it at 72 or 82 if you have to .

my parents had to move away from all of us and their grand kids and be almost strangers to them just so they could afford to live . then my father had a stroke and was forced in to a home away from all of us .

Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,404,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The root of this argument is that the poor and those getting public benefits are doing better than those that work and pay their own bills.

This idea comes up every couple of months. It's obvious that people don't know what It's like to have your life constrained by the availability and limits of public support.

Then there is also the social/political issue. Don't spend a lifetime complaining about people mooching off of welfare and benefits when you intend to live off of benefits when you retire.
In my opinion the root is what you want out of retirement and how you define "good" living. I work (actually volunteer) with the poor. Wonderful people but they are constantly struggling. You are absolutely right you can see it on their face, the stress from staying one step ahead of disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or