Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:31 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Gotta love Texas. The land of low taxes.

This retired Social Worker saw many a poor retiree do just fine in our high tax state of CA. Subsided senior housing. Medicaid and social services supportive by the state. I know that some conservatives hate helping the deserving poor, but that’s why I’m good living in a high tax state. WWJD?
You must have missed MMOB's post directly prior to yours. The OP is in their 30s, and if you as a Social Worker no less are advocating for a 30 something year old non disabled healthy able bodied person that has many work and planning years ahead of them to enable them to have a more financially secure retirement instead of one entirely dependent on Government assistance programs, think it is time to turn in your LISCW!!!

I am not a Social Worker but an R.N. Case Manger that works for the Federal Government, and I case manage many financially impoverished Veterans. Rarely does a week go by that I don't have to tell one of my deserving Veteran patients that risked life and limb in wars fought in behalf of this country that enables us to enjoy the freedoms that we do today that I have to reduce the hours of CNA services I have placed in their home because the funding the funds the CNA program has been reduced. If I were to tell a 30 year old Veteran don't financially plan for home care services that you may need when you are 70 because Uncle Sam will pick up the tab it would be time for me to hand in my R.N. license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 06:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
You must have missed MMOB's post directly prior to yours. The OP is in their 30s, and if you as a Social Worker no less are advocating for a 30 something year old non disabled healthy able bodied person that has many work and planning years ahead of them to enable them to have a more financially secure retirement instead of one entirely dependent on Government assistance programs, think it is time to turn in your LISCW!!!

I am not a Social Worker but an R.N. Case Manger that works for the Federal Government, and I case manage many financially impoverished Veterans. Rarely does a week go by that I don't have to tell one of my deserving Veteran patients that risked life and limb in wars fought in behalf of this country that enables us to enjoy the freedoms that we do today that I have to reduce the hours of CNA services I have placed in their home because the funding the funds the CNA program has been reduced. If I were to tell a 30 year old Veteran don't financially plan for home care services that you may need when you are 70 because Uncle Sam will pick up the tab it would be time for me to hand in my R.N. license.
I read the OP's post to be a hypothetical - "what if my money runs out" -and not necessarily his intention. Always best to look at worst case scenarios in planning.

Last edited by BucFan; 01-14-2018 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I read the OP's post to be a hypothetical - "what if my money runs out" -and not necessarily his intention. Always best to look at worst case scenarios in planning.
Hey Bucfan
I would never encourage my 27 year old son to plan for living on welfare. I m old school, I taught my kid the old "reach for the stars, and even if you fail, you hit the sun" mentality

At 30 living off of SS and food stamps is something you plan to AVOID at all cost.
At 30 the mentality should be "Ok this is the life I want to live, how do i get it"

NOT "hey I bet I could survive in section 8 housing"

That's just the way I advise my two young adults

Old 01-14-2018, 06:58 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i spent my life trying to stay out of a nyc housing project . i vowed never to return the day i got my first job and i kept that promise to myself no matter what life threw my way . it was all to easy to find that road back there.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:07 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
People are surviving right now who don't have any additional income/savings other than SS. It seems like the poorer you are the more benefits you qualify for; if you have retirement income it will be held against you.

I am always amazed at people who say they can get a decent job in their 60s+ or that they have the option to stay working as long as they want into their 70s (other than consulting). Has age discrimination suddenly vanished in the workplace? Before I stopped working in my corporate job in 2016, I was always the oldest or second oldest in the conference room, at age 57. They slowly but methodically reduced their older workforce through various means.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:08 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Hey Bucfan
I would never encourage my 27 year old son to plan for living on welfare. I m old school, I taught my kid the old "reach for the stars, and even if you fail, you hit the sun" mentality

At 30 living off of SS and food stamps is something you plan to AVOID at all cost.
At 30 the mentality should be "Ok this is the life I want to live, how do i get it"

NOT "hey I bet I could survive in section 8 housing"

That's just the way I advise my two young adults

Worse case scenario in planning involve "what ifs"....I'm sure you talked to your grown sons what life would be like "what if" the kid chooses a profession that doesn't pay very well or his "reach for the stars" plan doesn't work out.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Quote:
SS wasn't originally established to be the sole income for folk's retirement - but it appears that in the next several decades, more and more Americans will depend on it as their only source of retirement income....
SS is the new "pension" since the vast majority of workers won't be getting one. In the old days you had a pension, SS, and whatever savings you accumulated.

Everyone I ever knew who was retired with a pension was glad they had that over a 401k.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:30 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,015,533 times
tough times ahead for people with no savings. Poor decisions make for poor people.

If staying in some dump living hand to mouth in your senior years is anybody's idea of living, you have my sympathy.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:00 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Lol if living off of social security is so wonderful, why haven't we heard about it?? Why is there supposedly a retirement crisis? Why the need to save if it's all these seniors living la vida loca in section 8 housing?
Lol

Old 01-14-2018, 08:09 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Worse case scenario in planning involve "what ifs"....I'm sure you talked to your grown sons what life would be like "what if" the kid chooses a profession that doesn't pay very well or his "reach for the stars" plan doesn't work out.
But plan "B" is always about getting ahead. No I've never said "ok if your job is low paying welfarw is a good alternative".

I say ok this major wont pay livable wages, what can you do that pays well. What do you need to get ahead"

Once again in my world living in the projects is NEVER an acceptable option. ESPECIALLY at 27. Now I'm not talking about if someone becomes disabled or tragedy hits but sorry in my house we do not plan for poverty.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 01-14-2018 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement