U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,552 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Reputation: 32314

Advertisements

An Interview with (Possibly) the Oldest Brewery Worker in the World, Union’s Henry Benesch

BFB: So I feel like a lot of these types of interviews ask,

“What’s the secret to a long life?” The answer’s gotta be beer for you, right?
No, no. No, I’m a bourbon drinker. But there are some beers that I like. The Blackwing I like,
and that’s why they’re having the special: 98 cents a can instead of $5 a can.

And the reason for a long life, I don’t know. I ask the doctors and they don’t know.
They say, “Oh, what do you do?”
I say, “Well, you know, the things I’ve done earlier in life maybe is what’s making me live longer.”

They say, “What did you do?”
I say, Well, I drank from the Fountain of Youth in Florida when I got called to go into the Army.

And I shipped overseas. We had an allotment of beer or cigars, so I started smoking cigars–
I would take the cigars instead of the beer. So I’ve been smoking cigars since 1942.
So I guess smoking cigars and drinking bourbon and running with fast women, that’s the secret to life.


Link to the artcle HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Reputation: 35450
Yet more words of wisdom from the long lived. Prepare for the lectures now on how weíre supposed to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,651 posts, read 17,632,423 times
Reputation: 27754
Within reason, I am going to live my life how I want to.

I was at a party tonight with three guys thirty years my senior. They were all in their early 60s. All of them had resting heart rates in the mid 60s - low 70s. Mine is low 80s. 2/3 are daily Black and Mild smokers - the third smokes pot, but more than I do. I smoke pot, but only rarely. We all drink, but I drink more than they do. We are all within ten pounds of the same weight. We are all overweight.

My heart rate is higher. That's bad, fine. It has been high-ish since I've been at least in high school. I did a six mile hike earlier this afternoon. I did have to stop and catch my breath on long, uphill climbs, but most folks would. It doesn't surprise me. There were a couple of normal weight male hikers and they were doing only nominally better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Reputation: 35450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Within reason, I am going to live my life how I want to.

I was at a party tonight with three guys thirty years my senior. They were all in their early 60s. All of them had resting heart rates in the mid 60s - low 70s. Mine is low 80s. 2/3 are daily Black and Mild smokers - the third smokes pot, but more than I do. I smoke pot, but only rarely. We all drink, but I drink more than they do. We are all within ten pounds of the same weight. We are all overweight.

My heart rate is higher. That's bad, fine. It has been high-ish since I've been at least in high school. I did a six mile hike earlier this afternoon. I did have to stop and catch my breath on long, uphill climbs, but most folks would. It doesn't surprise me. There were a couple of normal weight male hikers and they were doing only nominally better.
Wow, that must have been some swinging party. A thirty-something year old guy sitting sitting around with three guys nearly twice his age checking out one anotherís heart rates. Whoo-hoo!

Parties sure have changed since I was in my thirties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,458 posts, read 1,695,991 times
Reputation: 8159
In a world where anecdotal evidence is king, you can find proof of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 04:50 AM
 
13,334 posts, read 25,596,053 times
Reputation: 20581
Back in the days where people smoked cigarettes in hospital, I helped a 96-year-old woman smoke a cigarette after her gall bladder surgery. She'd never had a medical problem or been in hospital and I asked her what her secret was, and she said,
"Honey, every time I saw a man, I ran like hell."

I never figured out if it was the manless life or the running that did the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Idaho
4,639 posts, read 4,484,350 times
Reputation: 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I never figured out if it was the manless life or the running that did the trick.
Been a long time since something I read gave me a audible chuckle. Well done, brightdoglover!
__________________


Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,696,516 times
Reputation: 35450
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Back in the days where people smoked cigarettes in hospital, I helped a 96-year-old woman smoke a cigarette after her gall bladder surgery. She'd never had a medical problem or been in hospital and I asked her what her secret was, and she said,
"Honey, every time I saw a man, I ran like hell."

I never figured out if it was the manless life or the running that did the trick.
Well if she just said she ran when she saw one, I guess maybe that would have depended upon as to whether she was running to him or away from him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 AM
 
735 posts, read 452,339 times
Reputation: 1716
Running with fast women-- thats the ticket-- aerobic excercise.

I have a glass of red wine, actually two glasses since its a 10 oz. glass, every evening for medicinal purposes.

Cigars are not actually inhaled, right? So no or not much smoke is taken into the lungs. That would be OK I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2018, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,106 posts, read 12,497,913 times
Reputation: 26217
Wonder what kind of cigars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top