U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,900,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hate to tell you, but 5'7" isn't tall. Of the four girl siblings in my family, the runt is 5'7". Try being 6' at 14. There would be no dating at all for me in high school.

Nowadays it seems better. I see young women with shorter men fairly often. They seem to have lost the stigma of too-tall girls being looked at as freaks, and good for them. When you are banned from participation in dating at that age, you miss a stage of learning about relationships that you can never quite make up for later, I believe. I was in my 40s and divorced before I held hands with a "boy", for example, albeit a boy with a receding hairline, lol. It was a thrill that he wanted to hold my hand, but it's a thrill most girls experience as teenagers.

I get asked to get things off of high shelves all the time. I am happy to do so!
That's worse than I was at 5'7", much worse. At 5'7" I wore flats or sometimes something with a tiny heel but never high heels. My very best friend is about 5'2" and was always complaining about being "short" and would always ask me to get things off the shelf for her because I was so "tall." That's where my gripe about being asked comes in, lol. I am happy to help anyone else--just not Ms Petite and Complains about it.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM

4,456 posts, read 1,695,991 times
At least a couple of inches. When people ask my height, I say "5'10" long, lying down".

Some height loss due to blindness, wheh I try to fit through smaller and unseen spaces. Ducking under overhead signs on pedestrian walkways in places like east Asia and Andean South America, where I tower over most of the locals. A permanent notch in my forehead frolm clanging into overhead signs while I pay attention to where my feet are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM

25,095 posts, read 23,977,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I have always been slightly under 5'2". As a young woman I wanted to apply to be a flight attendant, but could never quite make the height requirement. I think regular exercise has helped prevent shrinkage. I also did a five-year course of Didronel (etidronate), a bone density drug, after I was diagnosed with osteopenia in my 50s. I am now back to normal bone density at 69 and hope to keep every one of my 61.75 inches.
That's funny. In the 1970s, I applied for a job as a stewardess with a regional airline, and was called for an interview. The guy told me that he would have liked to hire me, but I was too tall.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I have been 6' 1/2" since I was 14. Recently, someone argued that I was not six feet tall. To prove it, he measured me in my bare feet against the door jamb and we marked it, like a little kid.

Apparently I am now 5'11". I am not even 60!

My mom was always 5'11". Now at 89, she has shrunk to 5'9".
Do tall people lose more height? I topped out at 5'9" and have lost 1/2 an inch.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:27 PM

40 posts, read 17,047 times
This topic is so on point. Just before I had my hip surgery the dr.'s office does a height and weight. You ha e to meet a certain requirement and if you exceed the weight they won't do the surgery. Long story short I've been 6'2 my adult life and when preparing for surgery I was 6 ft even! I was fighting them tooth and nail every week I had to see the dr. Well I'm glad it was just 2' in height! Lol

Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Hate to tell you, but 5'7" isn't tall. Of the four girl siblings in my family, the runt is 5'7". Try being 6' at 14. There would be no dating at all for me in high school.

Nowadays it seems better. I see young women with shorter men fairly often. They seem to have lost the stigma of too-tall girls being looked at as freaks, and good for them. When you are banned from participation in dating at that age, you miss a stage of learning about relationships that you can never quite make up for later, I believe. I was in my 40s and divorced before I held hands with a "boy", for example, albeit a boy with a receding hairline, lol. It was a thrill that he wanted to hold my hand, but it's a thrill most girls experience as teenagers.

I get asked to get things off of high shelves all the time. I am happy to do so!
My cousin Catherine was 6'4". When I saw her a few years ago, she just didn't look as tall. I didn't ask.

I dated a shorter guy when I was in high school, and again when I was about 20. The height difference didn't mean anything to me; I liked them.

I rarely dated in high school. I only need one hand to count those. Some of us are just late bloomers.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM

3,991 posts, read 1,123,009 times
I was 5' 11.75" for many years. Now I'm down to 5' 11" at 64. I've also lost about 75 lbs in 3 years or so.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:07 PM

26,037 posts, read 33,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
My brother was 5'8" for much of his adult life and was quite surprised to find that he's measuring 5'7" now that he's in his 60s.

From my last measurement at the Dr, I seem to have also lost an inch in height.

How much have you lost?
None, yet. My father is 92 and is still 6'1". That's probably a good sign.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 AM

549 posts, read 254,821 times
I'm 74, 5'4.5". Doctor's office sometimes measures me at 5'5".

I attend yoga class 3-4 times per week and I think this is why I haven't shrunk.

However, I do schedule all of my doctor's appointments for first thing in the AM so there may be something to the idea of shrinking as the day goes on.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM

56,217 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
What is it with people who always have to argue with tall women about their measurements?

Im 510 & I have been since I was 13. No youre not! You cant be 510! Whatever...
It is almost always men who are 5'8" but who insist you must be taller because somewhere along the line, they convinced themselves that they are six feet tall.

Wasn't the case here, but that's proven true for most of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or