U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:20 PM

4,420 posts, read 1,676,659 times

Advertisements

Yes. While you're working, you have a natural setting imposed on you, by the geographical constraints of your workplace. But after retiring, you can choose any natural setting, without the dictates of your work.

Not because it is not equally important, but because it shares a place on the scale of importance with other factors.

It's like asking if the quality of the local schools is as importanht after your children are grown up and gone away. The importance stays the same, but occupies a different rung on your ladder of priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:22 PM

364 posts, read 553,180 times
I live at a beach in North Carolina. To be honest, I spend very few days sitting out on the beach in summer. It's usually only when friends came to visit. I always seem to be busy with other things. I do, however, walk the beach twice a day with my dogs. That's where actually living on the barrier island makes a difference. A lot of people move to coastal North Carolina within easy reach of the beach, but never get out here. Those walks make my day.
In my final years of work, those walks were important as well, and helped keep me sane. They were over woods and streams in suburban Maryland. I was lucky enough to have some "wild" land that backed up to my house.

Last edited by Johanna25; 01-15-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Agree on the family. There is always something or someone that needs attention.

I got up early (about 7:30) Saturday morning and went to bed early Friday night. I had to run to Walmart and the post office. I get that done, and I'm about ready to go home about 10:30....
You could order items online from Walmart.com, and do many post office tasks online at USPS.com. Just a thought. You may have reasons why this would not work for you or your relatives.

I think you live in or near Johnson City Tennessee - I see that both Food City and Kroger have grocery delivery using Instacart.com. (maybe you or relative would not want to pay the delivery fee due to your relative being low-income, but the service is useful)

(Instacart.com serves many cities and locales all throughout the U.S. and includes fresh groceries of vegetables, dairy, fruit, meat, etc - good way to also stock up on canned goods & heavy items too)

For prescriptions, most health plans have free home delivery. One never needs to go to a pharmacy nor wait in line at a pharmacy - the prescriptions arrive in the mail. Sign up is online at the health plan's website. Also some pharmacies have free home delivery of prescriptions such as Walgreens.com and Walmart.com.

I use all of the above services, and they all work great.

Last edited by matisse12; 01-15-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or