U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:45 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times

Advertisements

When I moved back to Tennessee from Indiana, I figured Iíd spend more time outside. I like hiking, some mountain biking, occasionally fish, etc. itís not the biggest thing in my life, but itís important.

Iíve probably spent less time outside since I moved back than before. Iím on-call one weekend a month. That limits me. I work 8-5. This time of year, the short days keep me from doing much outside after work. Itís been well below normal most days since December.

I work in a cubicle overlooking a K-Mart parking lot. A cube here is a cube anywhere. I really donít even see the mountains much except briefly on my commute home. I rarely get to go to the lake.

If I was retired, I could live closer to the mountains, hike and boat more, etc. I canít really take advantage of many of the areas natural amenities working 8-5 inside of a cube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 02:56 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
I thought I really wanted to live in a beautiful area with lots of outdoor activities. Instead I learned that a great many other things are more important. All those great and beautiful areas I looked at were pretty isolated. Many were only enjoyable a few months of the year. Now we travel often for several months of the year and live the rest of the time near family and old friends in a place with more cultural activities, next to a University so we can take classes.

Last edited by jrkliny; 01-14-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-14-2018, 03:20 PM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
Is the natural setting of where you live more important in retirement than while working?

Since one is likely to spend more time at home in post-retirement, one's view and home environment are probably more important in retirement. However, since one spends 30-40-years living somewhere in pre-retirement, it only makes sense to live where one wants to live.

We moved to Florida almost 45-years ago, thinking, "Why wait until retirement in order to live in a warm climate by the beach?" For all these years, we've been able to engage in whatever outdoor activities we desired, when we wanted to ... and not only on occasional vacations or during the summer season. Ironically, we enjoyed living directly on the beach for about 8-years prior to retirement, but, three-years after retirement, we moved off the beach to a harbor area in another part of Florida.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:18 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
When I moved back to Tennessee from Indiana, I figured Iíd spend more time outside. I like hiking, some mountain biking, occasionally fish, etc. itís not the biggest thing in my life, but itís important.

Iíve probably spent less time outside since I moved back than before. Iím on-call one weekend a month. That limits me. I work 8-5. This time of year, the short days keep me from doing much outside after work. Itís been well below normal most days since December.

I work in a cubicle overlooking a K-Mart parking lot. A cube here is a cube anywhere. I really donít even see the mountains much except briefly on my commute home. I rarely get to go to the lake.

If I was retired, I could live closer to the mountains, hike and boat more, etc. I canít really take advantage of many of the areas natural amenities working 8-5 inside of a cube.
I think it depends on the location of your house and your town. I lived and my wife lives 20 minutes from work. We live in a subdivision that is a mile from the National Forest. Find a home in the woods, not too far from Work. Then you can enjoy the outdoors even if just for an hour after work.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Is the natural setting of where you live more important in retirement than while working?

Remember all the people you wonder about who ask about moving from the great, high cost, high salaried coastal cities to the mountains of TN? This is exactly what they are trying to do.

You have that now. Make use of it.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:49 PM

381 posts, read 352,417 times
The natural setting is very important to me. I have always thrived on "being with nature". Before retirement my husband and I would spend time on the road each weekend getting to the woods or the beach or the swamp. Now husband is in memory care and I have to do most of the birding, star gazing, etc. with a group of people. So I have found that being in a larger city with meet-ups, photo groups, Audubon groups plus plenty of open land around here and a decent climate year round makes my life much more interesting. When I was in Huntington Beach, there were 14 million people between me and and exit over the mountains. When we were in Colorado, the snow closed the high mountain passes. Being in lower Florida does not present enough variety of scenery. Central Texas does put me where I can see a different land/botanical interest in each direction. I cannot travel as far at my age but there is plenty within 100 miles of my home in any direction. Having said that, we did take advantage of every weekend and all vacations to get out into nature. I probably have more wrinkles (from sun/wind) than most retirees but I would trade a one for the wonderful postcard moments I have had.

Last edited by Lastfire; 01-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: should have inserted "not" before "trade...."

Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Remember all the people you wonder about who ask about moving from the great, high cost, high salaried coastal cities to the mountains of TN? This is exactly what they are trying to do.

You have that now. Make use of it.
That's what I was getting at. With my work schedule, it makes it difficult to make time for those amenities.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:29 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,099,758 times
For me, my weekends were extremely important when I was working, and living in a beautiful natural setting that I could enjoy on my days off helped make up for the daily grind of working. Otherwise, I would have had to drive someplace every weekend to enjoy nature, rather than enjoy it from the comfort of my home.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM

2,199 posts, read 1,342,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's what I was getting at. With my work schedule, it makes it difficult to make time for those amenities.
You have to make the time. We all have a problem with short days and cold weather. But the days are getting longer now. This time of year most working people only have weekends for enjoyment. Come spring, you can stop on the way home from work to go for a walk in the woods.

Find a hiking/walking group or meetup. A fishing club (do they exist)? A biking club. Go to their meetings and sign up to participate when they plan activities. Plan your life around those activities, and fit the weekly errands in between. Maybe you only have time to go fishing or for a walk in the woods for an hour... so do that much. Every activity doesn't have to be an all day affair.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 PM

4,360 posts, read 3,696,311 times
No, but the opportunities to use your time is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or