Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

An Interview with (Possibly) the Oldest Brewery Worker in the World, Union’s Henry Benesch

BFB: So I feel like a lot of these types of interviews ask,

“What’s the secret to a long life?” The answer’s gotta be beer for you, right?
No, no. No, I’m a bourbon drinker. But there are some beers that I like. The Blackwing I like,
and that’s why they’re having the special: 98 cents a can instead of $5 a can.

And the reason for a long life, I don’t know. I ask the doctors and they don’t know.
They say, “Oh, what do you do?”
I say, “Well, you know, the things I’ve done earlier in life maybe is what’s making me live longer.”

They say, “What did you do?”
I say, Well, I drank from the Fountain of Youth in Florida when I got called to go into the Army.

And I shipped overseas. We had an allotment of beer or cigars, so I started smoking cigars–
I would take the cigars instead of the beer. So I’ve been smoking cigars since 1942.
So I guess smoking cigars and drinking bourbon and running with fast women, that’s the secret to life.

Link to the artcle HERE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Yet more words of wisdom from the long lived. Prepare for the lectures now on how we’re supposed to do it.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:03 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Within reason, I am going to live my life how I want to.

I was at a party tonight with three guys thirty years my senior. They were all in their early 60s. All of them had resting heart rates in the mid 60s - low 70s. Mine is low 80s. 2/3 are daily Black and Mild smokers - the third smokes pot, but more than I do. I smoke pot, but only rarely. We all drink, but I drink more than they do. We are all within ten pounds of the same weight. We are all overweight.

My heart rate is higher. That's bad, fine. It has been high-ish since I've been at least in high school. I did a six mile hike earlier this afternoon. I did have to stop and catch my breath on long, uphill climbs, but most folks would. It doesn't surprise me. There were a couple of normal weight male hikers and they were doing only nominally better.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Within reason, I am going to live my life how I want to.

I was at a party tonight with three guys thirty years my senior. They were all in their early 60s. All of them had resting heart rates in the mid 60s - low 70s. Mine is low 80s. 2/3 are daily Black and Mild smokers - the third smokes pot, but more than I do. I smoke pot, but only rarely. We all drink, but I drink more than they do. We are all within ten pounds of the same weight. We are all overweight.

My heart rate is higher. That's bad, fine. It has been high-ish since I've been at least in high school. I did a six mile hike earlier this afternoon. I did have to stop and catch my breath on long, uphill climbs, but most folks would. It doesn't surprise me. There were a couple of normal weight male hikers and they were doing only nominally better.
Wow, that must have been some swinging party. A thirty-something year old guy sitting sitting around with three guys nearly twice his age checking out one another’s heart rates. Whoo-hoo!

Parties sure have changed since I was in my thirties.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:30 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
In a world where anecdotal evidence is king, you can find proof of anything.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:50 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Back in the days where people smoked cigarettes in hospital, I helped a 96-year-old woman smoke a cigarette after her gall bladder surgery. She'd never had a medical problem or been in hospital and I asked her what her secret was, and she said,
"Honey, every time I saw a man, I ran like hell."

I never figured out if it was the manless life or the running that did the trick.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:08 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I never figured out if it was the manless life or the running that did the trick.
Been a long time since something I read gave me a audible chuckle. Well done, brightdoglover!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Back in the days where people smoked cigarettes in hospital, I helped a 96-year-old woman smoke a cigarette after her gall bladder surgery. She'd never had a medical problem or been in hospital and I asked her what her secret was, and she said,
"Honey, every time I saw a man, I ran like hell."

Well if she just said she ran when she saw one, I guess maybe that would have depended upon as to whether she was running to him or away from him.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:35 AM

731 posts, read 678,658 times
Running with fast women-- thats the ticket-- aerobic excercise.

I have a glass of red wine, actually two glasses since its a 10 oz. glass, every evening for medicinal purposes.

Cigars are not actually inhaled, right? So no or not much smoke is taken into the lungs. That would be OK I guess.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:46 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Wonder what kind of cigars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement