U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 AM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Reputation: 20072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
As we're planning for our first snowbird experience, another question we came up with .... do y'all have a bank in both towns? We don't want to change from our current home town bank, but we're going to need cash for incidentals while in Florida. Incidents such as drinks and tips! HAHAHAHA!!! We've never had ATM cards, because with being in the band business our entire lives, we have always had cash from gigs. What do you do for cash, and do you have a bank in each town you have homes in?

I live in AZ and my bank is in Akron, OH. I refuse to switch to the local banks as they are large and almost impossible to talk to a real human. The local credit unions are generally behind the times in technology and generally lack any sense of urgency. The Ohio bank offers me great service.

We get a lot of checks and we generally deposit those with out phone. We both have dise gigs that generate cash and we use that throughout the year. I do not think that we have hit the local ATM machine in at least 18 months although it is free. If I needed cash, I guess I could get it from the ATM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM
 
8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Reputation: 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I live in AZ and my bank is in Akron, OH. I refuse to switch to the local banks as they are large and almost impossible to talk to a real human. The local credit unions are generally behind the times in technology and generally lack any sense of urgency. The Ohio bank offers me great service.
How and/or why would it be almost impossible to talk to a real human at a large bank? I have accounts at Bank of America, Chase, and Wells Fargo (it doesn't get much bigger than those three) and have never had an issue speaking to someone when the need arose or arises.

While I've had a checking account at Bank of America for 30+ years going back to when we first moved to D.C., we opened an account at Chase when we bought our condo in Miami Beach in 2012 because there was a branch a couple of blocks away. Similarly, we opened an account at Wells Fargo when we bought our house in 2016 because there was a branch 1/2 a block away. I'm not much of an ATM person, so I enjoy walking into the local branch to conduct my business with a real live person, even if it is just to make a deposit or order some $2 bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
12,272 posts, read 11,324,314 times
Reputation: 6114
My 2 cents is the Marriott Residence Inn brand. While more expensive, service is great, they will shop, wash and fold clothes and clean your room (for free). They also have decent breakfasts and happy hours. I stayed there several times up to 1 year and earned mileage points as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,529 posts, read 9,580,194 times
Reputation: 15782
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My 2 cents is the Marriott Residence Inn brand. While more expensive, service is great, they will shop, wash and fold clothes and clean your room (for free). They also have decent breakfasts and happy hours. I stayed there several times up to 1 year and earned mileage points as well.
Great idea, will look into it for future travels.

Whidbey Island, what a gorgeous spot...I've tried to interest my wife in retiring there but she's not interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 AM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Reputation: 20072
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How and/or why would it be almost impossible to talk to a real human at a large bank? I have accounts at Bank of America, Chase, and Wells Fargo (it doesn't get much bigger than those three) and have never had an issue speaking to someone when the need arose or arises.
.


At the local BOA, it takes a week to get an appointment to talk to someone about our HOA account. It is a terrible bank to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top