U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 928,712 times

Advertisements

Whatever you do donít come here to SW Florida! Traffic is unbelievable and wait times are out of site at restaurants during season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Those snowbird rentals are expensive because for much of the year there is little demand and many sit vacant. Another option is RV living. If you try that in Florida, you will also find it relatively expensive. Instead consider driving out West. You can camp in many National Parks and forests for very little. BLM camping is often free or close to it.

I lived in an RV full time for 2 years. Camping costs averaged $7/day with the senior pass. Fees have gone up some so figure $10/day. We rarely had or needed hook ups so we never needed expensive campgrounds or RV parks. We had solar for our electric needs. Propane for heat and cooking was cheap at about $10/month. Fuel costs were less than you might think. Sure driving across country was expensive at about $100/day, but after that we mainly traveled short distances and fuel costs dropped to modest levels.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM

897 posts, read 1,520,475 times
I am sitting in a four bedroom three bath ocean front condo in North Myrtle Beach SC. I have rented this unit from December 27 to February 1 for $2,000. Sheets, towels fully furnished. Walking distance to bars and restaurants. Froze my butt off New Years but played golf today at 65 degrees in shorts. Top end courses <$50 per round. Paid $20 today. Hit a movie for $6 when too cold. Happy hour at numerous bars has wine glass $3.50 and half price apps.

Next year I'll go for two months.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:08 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,154,974 times
I spend $10K a year on a rented apartment in San Diego (we stay for 2-1/2 months). It is almost on the beach, but too small and I wouldn't buy it. A larger budget would come in handy.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:25 PM

2,394 posts, read 2,061,115 times
Anyone use one of the extended stay hotels?

I have thought when I retire I would leave NJ for the month of February every year and was going to look into this

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,057,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Anyone use one of the extended stay hotels?

I have thought when I retire I would leave NJ for the month of February every year and was going to look into this
Be sure to check online reviews, some of them can be quite dicey. There is a really nice one in Foley AL that caters to snowbirds with pets but it is not billed as an Extended stay hotel.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM

111 posts, read 78,795 times
South Carolina has winters. Not as cold as you are used to but tonight's low is 17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Try the Deep South Texas coast. Lots of winter rentals in south padre island

Old 01-16-2018, 09:07 PM

14,255 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Trying to work through some budgeting forecasts for retirement in 3-5 years. We are thinking we will be snowbirds for the winter (4 weeks, 6 weeks, 8 weeks, more?) but not sure how much to budget for it. We are in the midwest and would likely go south from here (South Carolina and south of SC) or Arizona.

I would be interested in hearing about your snowbird experience. Where do you go, how long do you stay, and what is the approximate cost? How difficult is it to find rentals of 4 weeks - 12 weeks? Do you go the same place every year or do you like to move around?

Hubby is concerned about being able to afford this lifestyle and I am hoping to show him that it can be done depending on where you go.

My snowbird experience lasted about eight weeks and ended when we decided to buy a place in Southern Arizona and become a permanent resident.

Here are some of the costs:

Rental costs - highly variable and depends on what you need. In general, most are looking for 2 br/ 2ba. It is NOT hard to find a rental in Arizona BUT the costs in 2018 are 50%+ more than they were in 2014 in many places.

Transportation costs - not only the vehicle costs but the costs on the lodging in the days it takes you to get there

Then there are the costs of having someone watch your place back home. Sure , that might not be a lot at first BUT you have to do something for the people keeping up your place.

Personally, I would NOT want to do that again.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Another option... international snowbird.

I paid $400/ month for a Thailand beach apartment.
Food $5/day
Scooter rental $40/ month
Fare to Thailand ~$800

Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia are pretty ez.
Vietnam and Cambodia are on my Next long term stay plan.

South and / or Central America is a nice snowbird location.

Loved my winter in NZ. It was not cheap, but could be.... if you buy a used diesel camper that is self contained (freedom camping is FREE). Groceries are affordable, eating out is not.

Italy, Spain and Portugal are very ez and affordable if you live like a local and not a tourist. Furnished flats are plentiful. In countryside they are cheap.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM

6,293 posts, read 3,564,804 times
I snowbird in Mexico for a couple of months. Rarely do I spend more than two or three thousand.

It depends on what I'm going to do. If I go down to hang out on the beach it's less than that. I can eat very well by buying the local groceries and from the Ma and Pa vendors. I can buy fresh seafood right off the dock from the fishermen.

A year ago last winter I spent ten weeks in a new condo with both a jungle and an ocean balcony - sunrise and sunset - and swimming pool, air conditioning, wifi and TV near the local bus line for twenty-seven a night. The bus took me anywhere in town for fifty cents American.

This year I'll be on the beach in a quadruplex for six weeks for two-thousand and I got my ticket for less than half price by good luck. If I can find something off the beach while I'm there I'll stay a while longer.

I never thought this would be possible on my retirement allotment but after years of traveling to the same place I've made a lot of connections and learned many money saving tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or