U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 AM

4,868 posts, read 2,347,922 times

Advertisements

That house is condemned due to a faulty foundation. You'd have to have someone tear down the house and build a new one - the $14,900 price is for the property value only. It also has a terrible crime rate - so it's not a great deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 AM

1,467 posts, read 895,094 times
Sorry, too much - heat, insects, alligators. I'm sure others might feel differently.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 AM

2,538 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Rockland is a coastal tourist town, so prices are a lot higher there. No home in my town is that expensive.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ok8d&3col=true

Here is a 4 bdrm house in Bangor that is a bit lower priced.
Lot's of neat places there for not much money. Thanks for posting that . I wish I either had more money for repairs, or was handy at fixing things. I'd settle for being a lot younger, lol. If I had one of those three I wouldn't mind giving it a try up there. I don't need fancy, just sound, and snug.

Back in the 70's I lived in Ct for 8 yrs, and really liked New England. Made it up to Maine a couple times, and it's beautiful.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:40 AM

2,538 posts, read 951,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I was saying how inexpensive the houses they were shown were at $149,000 and $249,000 - but the one you note at $14,900 is surprising.
It's condemned by the city so would need oodles of work from the ground up. But it's a lovely old house. All that woodwork, and gingerbread. Many stories to tell of all the families that lived there once.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:47 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,200,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You can say that again. A hot, humid summer to rival Georgia's, and a cold, snowy winter as cold as Idaho. No thank you. Lived there through 2 winters, bagged it. Sold that house. Not going to live there again!

A nice place to visit in spring and fall. The Amana colonies are nice, or were last time I was there. You can order up some excellent custom made furniture there, at an attractive price, considering the quality.

This winter in eastern Iowa has been very mild. Yes, there were a few days of -0 degrees a couple weeks ago, but just a light dusting of snow. Today we have a high of 53 degrees and for the past few days absolutely no snow on the ground except for some patches here and there in shaded areas. We are expecting some rain here and there in the forecast, but we've had sunny skies most of this week. Last winter was pretty mild too, but I've never experienced absolutely no snow cover during the month of January since living here for 22 years.

Last edited by smpliving; 01-26-2018 at 08:04 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 AM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
Sources as Places Rated will offer factual information for those researching locations which to retire. Then the fun begins. An informed person can then chuckle at these fluff pieces, tear them apart with educated authority while knowing they are just shy of fake reporting. Our own forum here testifies to this.
Happy talk, pom pom waving to paid marketing sway northern prey to the Sunshine State. Having self doubts about its seriousness I watched as the center state sprawl intensified. Water issues, public services and encroachment of ecosystems slightly investigated, groves as open land were developed. Acceleration introduced new problems. Shabby K-12 education,
crime, inferior home construction (atop land fill), questionable health care services and basic, service industry jobs. A recipe not too tasty.
Finding this geographic destiny immiserates you with an everyday cloudy feeling is because you're isolated on a flat southern bog. According to season, fog envelopes you while driving half a day to enter a different northern state. Being big for bigs sake does not impress. My 16 years residency was to aid aging parents until their demise.
Retired shortly after wrapping up FL affairs and settling in the SW. What didn't work for me will be accepting for others.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM

23,682 posts, read 8,235,451 times
A census on the radio yesterday reported Utah the #1 state for being the best. For all around general living.

3 worst states were reported as CT, IL, RI.

I see this post is about FL...last time I was there I came back to CA loaded with mosquito bites. I'm stuck in CA. No humidity here to speak of. No ice/snow.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-27-2018 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-27-2018, 03:33 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A census on the radio yesterday reported Utah the #1 state for being the best. For all around general living.

3 worst states were reported as CT, IL, RI.

I see this post is about FL...last time I was there I came back to CA loaded with mosquito bites. I'm stuck in CA. No humidity here to speak of. No ice/snow.
FL is also much cheaper than SoCal. I’d love to live in southern CA abut I could never afford it.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:36 PM

652 posts, read 333,615 times
We lived in SoCAL for 15 years. Great when both of you are working. But since we moved away, no more prop 13. We moved simply because of all the traffic and crowding. But we LOVED living there.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 PM

1,206 posts, read 586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Interestingly, I like 4 of the top 10 (Colorado, Utah, Arizona & Idaho). Florida at #1 doesn't interest me, too hot and every so often you have to hide from a hurricane.

Utah, really? It can hit 100degrees in the summer and cold enough to snow. Group mind think is rampant aka Mormonism. No water. It does have its beauty but sorry, I just don't see it as gathering great momentum long term. Arizona has been for awhile,especially, due it being adjacent to high cost California. I think Florida will lose out more to the Carolinas, parts of north Georgia and Tennessee in the next 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or