U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM
 
7,140 posts, read 1,793,919 times
Reputation: 4230

Advertisements

New rankings put Florida the worst state in the nation:

Florida is the worst state in the nation in every way, new rankings say

Florida is the worst state in the nation in every way, new rankings say | Miami Herald

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...-best-to-worst

50. Florida

When putting together a list such as this, there can be some temptation to defy popular expectations, and go against the grain. However, Florida’s awfulness resume is so staggering impressive that it couldn’t go any other way. You were born for this. Embrace it.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 01-29-2018 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Reputation: 19134
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Sources as Places Rated will offer factual information for those researching locations which to retire. Then the fun begins. An informed person can then chuckle at these fluff pieces, tear them apart with educated authority while knowing they are just shy of fake reporting. Our own forum here testifies to this....
City-Data having individual sub-forums for each state is wonderful.

We get a lot of people asking about our state and a lot of discussion amongst locals.

As a retiree, I am very happy to live in the 'oldest' state with the highest percentage of retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:39 AM
 
653 posts, read 336,434 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
City-Data having individual sub-forums for each state is wonderful.

We get a lot of people asking about our state and a lot of discussion amongst locals.

As a retiree, I am very happy to live in the 'oldest' state with the highest percentage of retirees.
Shhhhhhhh! Articles like this keeps others out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM
 
530 posts, read 538,575 times
Reputation: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think a lot of people from the northeast retire to Florida because of I-95. It's easy to drive home and see the "kids."
... I've actually heard that from 2 of my brothers ... One now lives in SW Florida; the other still lives in Western NY, and takes long vacations in FL. They've both commented on "how easy it is" to drive up to see their kids/grandkids ...
Just not in Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 PM
 
1,325 posts, read 650,208 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
City-Data having individual sub-forums for each state is wonderful.

We get a lot of people asking about our state and a lot of discussion amongst locals.

As a retiree, I am very happy to live in the 'oldest' state with the highest percentage of retirees.
Surprised there are not more over 55 communities in Maine. Absolutely love Maine, however at retirement we would like to be around people our age with clubs and things to do, and not feel isolated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 AM
 
894 posts, read 733,360 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hate articles like this. They don't fit everyone and assume all one retiree cares about is to have exactly the same things every other retiree does...and to pay the least for it. Personally I DESPISE Florida. Horrible weather, too many people, fairly predictable hurricanes, weird politics, businesses scrambling to take advantage of oldsters, ticky tacky "pseudo luxuries", the list goes on.
Weird politics? How's that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM
 
894 posts, read 733,360 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I despise the listicles.

Iowa is listed in the top 10. Having lived there, I understand the conclusion. Crime and drug abuse are negligible compared to most states. The economy is good. You can leave your doors unlocked. Income and wealth are generally better than most of the South and Sunbelt at a similar cost of living.

I don't know what value you put on climate and weather, but Iowa is one severe place.
Yep. As an Iowan, it is a fantastic place to live and particularly to raise a family. You can still live in the country or in a small town and work in a city or easily get there. We make more than lot's of people on the coast but have a lot less expensive cost of living. It is great. Sure, there are poor areas because they are pretty remote and far from larger communities but more of Iowa is similar to where I live than not.

The weather though, as you say, is very extreme. Hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. Frankly, my plan is to be a snow bird if I can because I really dislike winter but don't want to be in the south in the summer. The wife is not entirely up to that idea yet though. We have kind of settled on the idea that we won't buy some place in the south, we will just choose somewhere different to go each winter and rent while keeping our place (actually downsizing) in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 03:23 PM
 
894 posts, read 733,360 times
Reputation: 1582
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
^ No offense, but the worst Mexican food I've eaten in my life was at a restaurant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. None of the waiters were Mexican, and I'm sure none of the cooks were either. The refried beans were watery and the food was just bland.

Having grown up in Texas, I know what good Mexican food is, and that was crap.

That said, I love Iowa. That state has some of the friendliest, most down to Earth people. I also enjoyed seeing the Amish community in Kalona. That was interesting.
I eat mexican food made my mexicans all over Iowa. A few smaller towns I've been to have 2 or 3 mexican owned mexican restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 PM
 
234 posts, read 177,706 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I retired to Florida about 15 months ago. We settled here for one reason: my wifeís health. Since moving here her health has improved greatly. Matter of fact, sheís not seen a doctor sense we moved here, which is in stark contrast to her half dozen trips to the doctor up north.

That being said, there are many things to like or dislike about living here, which Iím sure could be said about anyplace else. Yes, itís pretty hot here in the summer. I like the heat and have learned to do things like yard work earlier or later in the day when itís not so hot.

There are a lot of people here, no doubt about it. When the snowbirds and tourists come there are far too many people here. Everything takes longer then, much longer. Expect to wait two hours to be seated in a restaurant. Expect to wait at our very long traffic lights through two or three light changes. Expect nearly everyone to turn in front of you because no one has any patience here. The political system here is strictly the good old boy network, and some of the decisions being made are unbelievable. Laws are passed but not followed, they just delay implementing them until local laws can be enacted to forbid the approved law from being put into place.

Like I said, thereís good and bad about Florida. Just like everyplace else.
Try California. After I'm done here, its all gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2018, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Upstate, NY
609 posts, read 262,058 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Yep. As an Iowan, it is a fantastic place to live and particularly to raise a family. You can still live in the country or in a small town and work in a city or easily get there. We make more than lot's of people on the coast but have a lot less expensive cost of living. It is great. Sure, there are poor areas because they are pretty remote and far from larger communities but more of Iowa is similar to where I live than not.

The weather though, as you say, is very extreme. Hot in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. Frankly, my plan is to be a snow bird if I can because I really dislike winter but don't want to be in the south in the summer. The wife is not entirely up to that idea yet though. We have kind of settled on the idea that we won't buy some place in the south, we will just choose somewhere different to go each winter and rent while keeping our place (actually downsizing) in Iowa.
I /we have a similar plan. Florida is about a 2.5 to 3 hour flight from where we live in Upstate, NY. I have siblings who live near the coasts, one on the west side, one on the east. We have been there numerous times over forty or so years and I have come to appreciate so many aspects about the state beyond parks or beaches. My wife also does not want to buy, although I suspect we will anyway one day.

When I was a kid I loved winter. No more. Get me outta here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top