Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 05:54 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,173,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I eat mexican food made my mexicans all over Iowa. A few smaller towns I've been to have 2 or 3 mexican owned mexican restaurants.
As a 23-year resident of Iowa, originally from Ventura County in southern California, I agree completely with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,607,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hate articles like this. They don't fit everyone and assume all one retiree cares about is to have exactly the same things every other retiree does...and to pay the least for it. Personally I DESPISE Florida. Horrible weather, too many people, fairly predictable hurricanes, weird politics, businesses scrambling to take advantage of oldsters, ticky tacky "pseudo luxuries", the list goes on.
Perfect description!

Anyone considering florida should take this and study it. I can add a few....

Taking advantage of oldsters extends to most medical care in the state....so don't expect pleasant treatment as you age.

Bug of every sort - flying termites, 100's of types of ants...will invade your space.

The humidity hits almost 100% every morning (tropical) - so building materials will quickly mold and deteriorate.

The state itself - the elected officials - don't care about people, the environment or anything other than who bribed them or donated big to their campaigns. This is well known and documented. There is no "civil society" in most of Florida.

The Russians are here in force - having Anchor babies.....they pretty much run a couple towns along the east coast already. They are stealing the wealth of Russia and buying up the USA and citizenship. Before them it was the S. Americans and before that it was Drug Money. Not exactly the perfect society.

Much of the soil is polluted with arsenic from former citrus growing and fertilization.

Guns are the official state sport.

Sound good? OK, get down there and enjoy those 92 degree days with 80% humidity.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:25 AM

989 posts, read 764,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

OK I will bite and respond to the Haters.....

Perfect description!

Assuming You are a Florida Hater

Anyone considering Florida should take this and study it. I can add a few....

Not all are even remotely bothersome

Taking advantage of oldsters extends to most medical care in the state....so don't expect pleasant treatment as you age.

In our County, we have experienced fantastic healthcare at a decent cost, Not what is depicted in this statement. Cannot say same for Medicaid & Va recipiants as we have no experience, we use the ACA and it has been good for us.

Bug of every sort - flying termites, 100's of types of ants...will invade your space.

Ha Ha, OK Agreed! ONLY If you live in a Swamp in a Trailer or Caravan.

The humidity hits almost 100% every morning (tropical) - so building materials will quickly mold and deteriorate.

Total Rubbish, Yes it is Humid IN MID SUMMER, again you must be talking about those who live in a swamp in a Mobile Home, MFG home or Caravan. Get a Better home. BETTER THAN SNOW and Sub Freezing Temps.

The state itself - the elected officials - don't care about people, the environment or anything other than who bribed them or donated big to their campaigns. This is well known and documented. There is no "civil society" in most of Florida.

Welcome to any Red State. They always have been the same. Get over it. It only affects those who let it.

The Russians are here in force - having Anchor babies.....they pretty much run a couple towns along the east coast already. They are stealing the wealth of Russia and buying up the USA and citizenship. Before them it was the S. Americans and before that it was Drug Money. Not exactly the perfect society.

What a load of verbal Diarrhea

Much of the soil is polluted with arsenic from former citrus growing and fertilization.

Not where we live, and it is the same anywhere pesticides are used.

Again Welcome to any Red State

Sound good? OK, get down there and enjoy those 92 degree days with 80% humidity.
And Enjoy the Sun and the Surf, away from the Cold and Snow. Millions of vacationers cannot be all wrong.

While you are obviously not a Rep (Nor am I BTW) We have a great life in Florida as Middle of the spectrum Conservative Democrats (Not Hard Left or Right), In our Area, we have the best educated respectful like minded people (Moderate Reps fit that bill too), great Healthcare, Great weather (Most of the year, OK 2 months it is quite hot, but the Beach is 2 miles away, would you want it any other way?), Mostly Middle Class (Real Middle Class not those who think they are and live in caves), Culture, The list goes on. If you choose to live in Podunk Fla, then you get what you ask/pay for. That is NO different than any other State, just without the Snow. Oh and we do not have to go to work every day... Priceless.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:55 AM

11,158 posts, read 15,948,818 times
Quote:
Perfect description!

Anyone considering florida should take this and study it. I can add a few....

Given the laughably ignorant and erroneous comments that you've made previously about living in Florida, I didn't think it was possible for you to write anything that exceeded the idiocy of your earlier posts.

I was wrong.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Given the laughably ignorant and erroneous comments that you've made previously about living in Florida, I didn't think it was possible for you to write anything that exceeded the idiocy of your earlier posts.

I was wrong.
I guess if one thinks we were born on this earth to sit in A/C offices, bars and restaurants it's paradise on earth! If a gate and security guard around your complex makes you happy, you will be very pleased here.

I love when people give me that "close to the beach" thing. I and members of my family have lived beachfront and in many other areas of Florida. Go to the beach in many areas and you might have 2 dozen people in your sight (there are exceptions, but we are talking everyday) and FIVE MILLION live within a short drive to it.

So - either everyone is lying or there must be a lot of beaches with 100K people on them. Which is it?

Note - Dave Barry and Carl Hiassen are allowed to make fun of Florida, so am I. I am sitting here in our nice Sarasota home right now....where we spend maybe 100 days a year.

When I go sailing - I am generally the only one in sight sailing. When we go to the beach (Lido), there may be 100 people in view. Yet there are 100's of thousands sitting at the same very moment in A/C somewhere.

To those who doubt, read the regular everyday stories:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaMan/

It's no secret that Florida created 100's of pill mills and that hundreds of folks from two to eight hundreds of miles away came down weekly to grab massive supplies.

It's no secret that our Guv paid the largest fraud fines in US History when CEO of a health care company.

And it's 100% true that ALL politics in Florida are purchased. If you feel it is not true, you should talk to the Tampa Bay Times and all the political reporters who lay it out step by step how it all works.

But, hey, the weather has been great. No A/C needed.

Florida is not a Red State. It is a purple state and all indications are that it will turn more purple and blue. It's only the cheating and gerrymandering and purchasing of the offices that have made the legislature "red".

Efforts to give the vote to non-violent felons who have served out their sentences would prob change it to steady blue.

Red State? That's funny considering the Jewish Population of the entire SE (Populated) counties.
It was a slave state at one time and some of the Jim Crow leftovers remain.

Also, 100's of thousands had to leave Puerto Rico and come here. If they settle here....add them to the Baby Boomers and sooner or later, unless the country boys have big families, it will be mildly solid blue.

Last edited by craigiri; 02-03-2018 at 02:25 PM..

Old 02-03-2018, 04:21 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,085,559 times
Every location has its pluses and negatives. You must weigh them all to decide. Florida is a big state and very different if you are looking in panhandle, southeast or gulf.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Every location has its pluses and negatives. You must weigh them all to decide. Florida is a big state and very different if you are looking in panhandle, southeast or gulf.
While this is true, Florida is unique in that most of it was never developed and vast tracts (100's of thousands of acres) are still owned by certain companies...including Mormons, St. Joe Paper (panhandle?), etc.

The basis for the state is/was development, despite small sugar and other ag industries.

It's very different and that should be taken into account. We live in a very quaint area near DT Sarasota and I expect this area to stay largely as it is now. But when I travel by bike (path) or car, I see vast tracts flattened to sand and the pipes and slabs going in. Developments for 20,000 homes are a regular thing (Gule Coast). Lots of them.

It's hard to imagine those people who will end up a LONG way from the water (traffic) living "the florida" life. They will go to the mall, chain stores and their heavily air conditioned house...

The traffic in SE Florida is hard to even describe. A complete nightmare since 100's of thousands of people live in high rises yet the streets are 2 lanes each way.

It is, like many other areas, a good place to poke fun at.

Story: Very "Red State" friend from S. Cal decides to move to FL because he's a gun nut and wants his freedoms and all that stuff. He buys up inland (Swannee River, etc.) and brags that now he can shoot his guns off his porch and plink cans.

One year later he is back in S. Cal. This is after he finds the big stream near his house is effluent from a paper company and contain dioxin (and the state could care less) and one good run of 35 days where it rained virtually full time. For some reason the importance of his guns and freedoms went WAY down the priority list. I love stories like that....people think they are gonna find "freedom" in unregulated places - where in truth it's often pollution and violence (and bugs, of course!).

Old 02-05-2018, 01:48 AM

310 posts, read 444,849 times
Ok, next State, please?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 AM

11,158 posts, read 15,948,818 times
Quote:
Florida is not a Red State. It is a purple state and all indications are that it will turn more purple and blue. It's only the cheating and gerrymandering and purchasing of the offices that have made the legislature "red".

Efforts to give the vote to non-violent felons who have served out their sentences would prob change it to steady blue.

Red State? That's funny considering the Jewish Population of the entire SE (Populated) counties.
It was a slave state at one time and some of the Jim Crow leftovers remain.

Also, 100's of thousands had to leave Puerto Rico and come here. If they settle here....add them to the Baby Boomers and sooner or later, unless the country boys have big families, it will be mildly solid blue.
WTF are you babbling about now? Florida has never been considered a Red state. It has always been thought of as "purple" and is always in play during presidential elections. It's no secret that southern Florida and other major metropolitan areas are Blue and that the areas above I-4 and the entire panhandle are Red. And aside from how Florida has voted in presidential elections, from 1920 - 1986, every single Governor except for one (1966-1970) was a Democrat. Since then, there have been 4 Republicans, 2 Democrats, and one Independent.

You should stick to complaining about the weather. BTW, when I went to school down here, we had no a/c in the schools, and my parents' home had only a single window a/c in the living room (in fact, it still does). I spent every afternoon after school and all day on weekends outdoors playing baseball, basketball, football, or going to the beach. Even in the summer! Unbelievable, isn't it? And we survived without bouts of sunstroke or heat stroke.

You do realize that people lived and worked in Florida before the advent of a/c, right? And even though buildings and cars all now have a/c, parks and playgrounds are still full of children and adults playing and exercising throughout the year.

And finally, I don't know what the beaches are like in Sarasota, but come down to South Florida and you'll find the beaches full of people sunbathing, playing volleyball, having fun in the water, etc. I can look out of my bedroom or living room windows in my condo and see this virtually every day. In the winter it is the vacationers and snowbirds on the beach every day; in the summer it is the locals who fill the beaches on the weekends.

As I said before, what you post about Florida is utter nonsense.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:17 AM

34,911 posts, read 31,023,226 times
Many of the complaints about Florida could be complaints about anywhere. I live in a high crime area of Tennessee. We have as much "crazy" here as people think of about Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement