U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM
 
12,095 posts, read 5,174,817 times
Reputation: 19115

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Where do you plan to move after you retire? Sounds like it won't be Florida. Just curious what your more desirable areas are for retirement.
Well, I'm not the typical person that wants sandy beaches, palm trees and no snow. I want a smallish town with a nice historic downtown, easy to walk and low cost. I don't want extreme winters like Michigan, not excessively hot long summers. KY I believe fits me well. Here's an example of a town I'm going to visit maybe this fall and check out. It has "free" public transportation for seniors, and more than enough amenities for me. The downtown is like a step back in time but just on the other side of town is a walmart, lowes, good hospital, golf, and all the rest I might want or need including festivals spring thru summer, concerts, farmers market, an old opera house and theater.

City of Maysville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2018, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Moore, Ok
79 posts, read 66,389 times
Reputation: 274
That looks lovely, Marino!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,700 posts, read 17,660,009 times
Reputation: 27773
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, I'm not the typical person that wants sandy beaches, palm trees and no snow. I want a smallish town with a nice historic downtown, easy to walk and low cost. I don't want extreme winters like Michigan, not excessively hot long summers. KY I believe fits me well. Here's an example of a town I'm going to visit maybe this fall and check out. It has "free" public transportation for seniors, and more than enough amenities for me. The downtown is like a step back in time but just on the other side of town is a walmart, lowes, good hospital, golf, and all the rest I might want or need including festivals spring thru summer, concerts, farmers market, an old opera house and theater.

City of Maysville
I really like a lot of the towns on the OH river. It's a very underrated area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,986 posts, read 3,478,991 times
Reputation: 10543
Hey, I like that place! Lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 PM
 
13 posts, read 5,839 times
Reputation: 54
I agree, Maysville looks nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,691 posts, read 2,236,661 times
Reputation: 5250
I've always liked Maysville as a rather quaint, interesting historic town. We have been through there many times; always loved crossing the Ohio on the Simon Kenton Bridge (even though in December, I'll admit we zipped on over the new bridge a bit west of the town). I think you will like it if you don't mind being a bit isolated as the nearest towns of any size are Lexington and Cincinnati which are both about 60 miles away with nothing much in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 04:43 PM
 
5,432 posts, read 3,465,866 times
Reputation: 13714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I've always liked Maysville as a rather quaint, interesting historic town. We have been through there many times; always loved crossing the Ohio on the Simon Kenton Bridge (even though in December, I'll admit we zipped on over the new bridge a bit west of the town). I think you will like it if you don't mind being a bit isolated as the nearest towns of any size are Lexington and Cincinnati which are both about 60 miles away with nothing much in between.
Isolation in one's older ages doesn't sound too good. It does work great for some.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-11-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 04:59 PM
JRR
 
Location: Middle Tennessee
3,691 posts, read 2,236,661 times
Reputation: 5250
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Isolation in one's older ages doesn't sound too good. I suppose it works for some.
Yep, everyone is different. It isn't like Maysville is Sticksville Corners with one blinking light and a gas station. It is around 10k people and has a hospital and other daily life places. It just is a bit of a drive to anything larger.

Many people think that where we are is isolated at it is about 90 minutes to Nashville or Knoxville or Chattanooga. But the only thing we have had to go to any of those cities for in the year we have been living here is when we won a little bit of money in the state lottery and had to drive to Chattanooga to collect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 PM
 
5,432 posts, read 3,465,866 times
Reputation: 13714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yep, everyone is different. It isn't like Maysville is Sticksville Corners with one blinking light and a gas station. It is around 10k people and has a hospital and other daily life places. It just is a bit of a drive to anything larger.

Many people think that where we are is isolated at it is about 90 minutes to Nashville or Knoxville or Chattanooga. But the only thing we have had to go to any of those cities for in the year we have been living here is when we won a little bit of money in the state lottery and had to drive to Chattanooga to collect it.
I was thinking of the isolation in many tiny towns or rural locations (or possibly where you live now) when your spouse dies or when you need to stop driving (if that happens), being dependent upon a car, and not having very many amenities or services available overall. Maryville does have many great amenities as you describe.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-11-2018 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 PM
 
1,968 posts, read 4,630,839 times
Reputation: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well, I'm not the typical person that wants sandy beaches, palm trees and no snow. I want a smallish town with a nice historic downtown, easy to walk and low cost. I don't want extreme winters like Michigan, not excessively hot long summers. KY I believe fits me well. Here's an example of a town I'm going to visit maybe this fall and check out. It has "free" public transportation for seniors, and more than enough amenities for me. The downtown is like a step back in time but just on the other side of town is a walmart, lowes, good hospital, golf, and all the rest I might want or need including festivals spring thru summer, concerts, farmers market, an old opera house and theater.

City of Maysville
Thanks for posting. I can attest to the extreme winters in Michigan, where I am right now. It's been a loooong weekend of snow, starting last Friday.....very cold winter here this year.

Maysville looks like a lovely town. I like the idea of "free" public transit for seniors and I think the tax situation is good for retirees in KY, though I haven't checked lately. States keep changing their tax rules, and it can be hard to keep up! Anyway, Maysville might be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top