U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times

Advertisements

That is just what we need. Another article cranked out by a 20 something professional writer who tells us what is important for those of us who have retired. This merely reflects the sad said of "journalism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:08 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
Spent many winters in FL. Hated it. Only went because a wonderful group of friends. Hot, humid, bugs, snakes, housing is expensive, insurance expensive, high crime, many illegals and many small taxes no one talks about. Oh, there is no income tax, which is the big draw. Eventually with all the people moving down will cause the state to implode and they will institute a income tax.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,506,203 times
I think lists like this are interesting. I was surprised to see CO so high on it. But in giving it some thought I could see it for young healthy retirees. Well to do folks in their 50s and 60s will find it excellent. Even healthy folks in their 70s who have money will find it interesting. But I don't see it as the type of place the elderly or in-firmed would want. I see Florida as having a better environment for them, both weatherwise and amenity wise.

Health care is primarily only along the front range cities with proximity to Denver being important. So if one were to settle there they are plopping down into a health conscious, amenity filled, active metro area with loads to do. I see how this appeals, again to the healthy well to do retirement set. Why well to do? Housing costs are very high. But for those who can afford it the quality of life is also very high.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,059 times
I live in Iowa and have 5 more years to retirement. I can see Iowa as a good retirement place if you are okay with severe winters. I live in a condo with an attached garage which makes a big difference. The HOA takes care of snow removal of driveways and roads in the complex, which I consider a blessing. My condo is located in a beautiful wooded area with a view of the trees and wide open green spaces. I can see deer and geese from the large windows in my condo ... living room, kitchen, and two of three bedrooms. I was shocked at the price when I bought the condo in cash 16 years ago, compared to where I came from in California. I'm 5 minutes to downtown with 2 reputable top 100 hospitals, 25 minutes from a large university public research hospital. 5 minutes from two very nice large grocery stores (HyVee), with also 2 large super Walmarts, 2 large Super Targets, and 2 specialized health food groceries stores. Most of these stores will deliver groceries to my home if I should ever need that. We have state parks within 15-20 minutes of my home. People think of Iowa as flat, but there are rivers, bluffs, and lots of wooded areas, very hilly in the eastern part of the state with many rivers. An excellent new library in the city, also a symphony, live theater, outdoor arena, hockey team, baseball team, etc. The local community college provides many Adult Ed classes and programs for seniors. One hour north of me, I can go snow skiing near Dubuque, or use the trails around my town for snowshoeing. Variety of restaurants is good. Excellent hole in the wall Mexican places. The place is becoming more and more diverse. Bus service is improving which also stops near my complex.

I come from a very nice area of southern California where I lived for more than half my life. The only thing I miss is the weather and availability of deserts, ocean, and more national forests. However, the COL in Iowa is sooo much better. You get so much more for your money and it is a pretty state despite all the negative comments I hear on CD. It's an ideal place for those of us with not a lot of money in retirement.

Last edited by smpliving; 01-17-2018 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 AM

199 posts, read 112,249 times
^ No offense, but the worst Mexican food I've eaten in my life was at a restaurant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. None of the waiters were Mexican, and I'm sure none of the cooks were either. The refried beans were watery and the food was just bland.

Having grown up in Texas, I know what good Mexican food is, and that was crap.

That said, I love Iowa. That state has some of the friendliest, most down to Earth people. I also enjoyed seeing the Amish community in Kalona. That was interesting.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
^ No offense, but the worst Mexican food I've eaten in my life was at a restaurant in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. None of the waiters were Mexican, and I'm sure none of the cooks were either. The refried beans were watery and the food was just bland.

Having grown up in Texas, I know what good Mexican food is, and that was crap.

That said, I love Iowa. That state has some of the friendliest, most down to Earth people. I also enjoyed seeing the Amish community in Kalona. That was interesting.

How long ago did this happen? I know of a couple of crappy "white" Mexican restaurants in town, but most Mexican restaurants here are run by Mexicans with cooks and staff directly from Mexico who do not speak very well English, if at all. If you went downtown to Gringos, I can understand. They are all Caucasians.

Last edited by smpliving; 01-17-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 09:32 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,434,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I DESPISE Florida. Horrible weather, too many people, fairly predictable hurricanes, weird politics, businesses scrambling to take advantage of oldsters, ticky tacky "pseudo luxuries", the list goes on.
Don't forget it is full of New Yawkers.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

199 posts, read 112,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Don't forget it is full of New Yawkers.
Yep, I've noticed. You can tell by their accents.

I've seen the ones with a dark tan, laying on the beach. Absorbing UV radiation all day, waiting to get skin cancer, really isn't my thing.

What else do the retired people in Florida do? Play bridge? Sounds like a pretty boring life to me.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM

588 posts, read 344,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Florida, home to frequent hurricanes and flying cockroaches (aka palmetto bugs). I think I'll pass.
I lived in Miami during the Mariella boatlift from Cuba...that was 35 years ago.

I would never go back for one reason.

The flying **** roaches.

Recall taking a whole can of bug spray to destroy a palmetto bug in my apartment. That sucker took it all and turned around and laughed at me. An old shoe was the only thing that made that monster go to the promised land.

When the War of the Worlds happens the only thing left is going to be Palmetto Bugs. I kid you not.

I cringe just thinking about them. EEEEWWWWW!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:25 AM

1,321 posts, read 645,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I lived in Miami during the Mariella boatlift from Cuba...that was 35 years ago.

I would never go back for one reason.

The flying **** roaches.

Recall taking a whole can of bug spray to destroy a palmetto bug in my apartment. That sucker took it all and turned around and laughed at me. An old shoe was the only thing that made that monster go to the promised land.

When the War of the Worlds happens the only thing left is going to be Palmetto Bugs. I kid you not.

I cringe just thinking about them. EEEEWWWWW!
When I move south, I am going to get one of those bug zappers that look like a tennis racket, they will turn a bug into dust and light up a room at the same time.....may not turn a roach to dust.....but it will stun one long enough to get him to the toilet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or