Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 11:45 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I really enjoyed visiting Florida, but I still remember the mosquitoes...when we camped in the Everglades, they were able to bite us THROUGH THE TENT! And, that was in the winter! So, I guess it would be fine if you stay indoors, which would make me crazy.
The mosquitoes are even larger and more agressive in Alaska. When camping, you always bring along a claw hammer to bend their beaks down when they poke through the tent.

You do have to be careful, though, because after a several hundred attached mosquitos, they'll just fly away with the tent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaGonzales View Post
I'm going to die where I am happy regardless of services. It's Alaska from spring through fall and Hawaii from Fall to Spring.
You are my hero.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:47 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Mitch,

I was curious about your statement of Idaho being cold and snowy. I did a quick city-data cities search comparing the weather in your area (Richland, WA ?) and where we will be moving to (Caldwell, ID). I found that they are surprisingly similar.

Temperature wise, the low tempratures in Caldwell/Boise are around 5F colder and the average temperatures are around 2F lower than Richland.

Snowwise, they are very similar, both places have max snow fall of ~10.5in. Caldwell average snowfall is a bit lower than Richland: 6.5 in vs 7.5 in.

Both places are arid but Caldwell has a little more precipitation. The semi-arid climate was the main reason for our reluctance to relocate to Eastern WA or southwest Idaho.

To be close to our daughter especially when she needs us was the main reason for our relocation. We don't mind the cold and snow in the Mid Hudson Valley in NY but will certainly enjoy the warmer temperatures and lesser snowfalls and more sunshine in southwest Idaho in comparison to NY. We still have the 4 seasons in Idaho. Our new home is next to the Snake River and near Lake Lowell with greenery around so we will not feel like moving to an alien planet ;-)

I have no doubt that northern Idaho is much colder and has more snow especially at higher elevations. BTW, we did consider relocating to Spokane WA or CDA, ID mainly for the greenery.

Bottom line is that there could be quite a bit of climate variation within a state.
Bella,

Yes, on average Caldwell is not much colder than here. I did live in Idaho Falls for about 4 years, and, it gets a good bit colder there than it does here, at least in my experience.

The Idaho Falls winter is completely different from here, usually. In IF, winter starts on a specific day, you have a regular cool fall day, and suddenly some wind blows in and it starts snowing. Of course when I lived there we didn't have weather apps on smart phones, so usually this took me a bit by surprise. But the snow would come, and you wouldn't be without snow until sometime in March, usually. It stayed frozen. Here, if it snows, usually it melts off in about a week. We are having a mild winter this year, it's about 50F here in Richland.

Iowa's winter is more obnoxious - wet, heavy snow, and not uncommon to be near 0F with considerable wind. This was around Shellsburg, just North of Cedar Rapids.

I don't think you would be going wrong with Caldwell. But, just to muddy the water, did you check out Pullman, with WSU there? Pullman is a hilly town, a college town. And in WA you would dodge any state income tax. Just sayin'.

-Mitch

Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm not a fan of Florida but I do understand why people like to retire there. It must look awfully appealing to those who are tired of the long, cold, snowy, dreary winters in the northeast and midwest states. Hurricane season would scare me off, though I'm OK with earthquakes.
Since many are from NY and NJ it's an easy trip up I-95 to visit family and friends.

Too hot for me and I like seasons.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:41 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Florida is my place. If I can't look out the window and see palm trees, then it is too far north.
I can look outside my window and see a palm tree, but that's because I'm the one who planted it.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM

989 posts, read 769,481 times
I love to hear all the FLA haters/dislikers rant, hopefully it will persuade some people from steering clear. You do not want anything we have to offer. Sun, Beaches, low sales tax, low car taxes, reasonably priced housing and a laid back way of life. Please stay away.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Bella,

I don't think you would be going wrong with Caldwell. But, just to muddy the water, did you check out Pullman, with WSU there? Pullman is a hilly town, a college town. And in WA you would dodge any state income tax. Just sayin'.

-Mitch
Yes, I did check out Pullman and preferred Spokane or CDA.

The no state income tax (and no sale tax on grocery) in WA is definitely the relocation pluses in comparison to Idaho.

Our relocation decision to Idaho could be attributed to fate as I had reported in another thread.

Relocating in retirement?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Pertaining to alligators, maybe people are thinking of the recent incident where a 2 year old child was snatched by an alligator at the Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida, with the alligator carrying the child out into the water and away, leaving the child dead.

From reading and observing, I see that alligators can be found in any Floridian small pond, accumulation of water, tiny lake, and other bodies of water in Florida on residential and commercial properties.

I'm afraid of them! When watching PGA golf tournaments & other golf in Florida, it passes thru my mind that one of the golfers playing right near the many bodies of water on golf courses could be snatched by an alligator by the leg when doing swings by the water, and especially when golfers stand in the water to do shots.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:48 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,661,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Pertaining to alligators, maybe people are thinking of the recent incident where a 2 year old child was snatched by an alligator at the Disney World Resort in Orlando Florida, with the alligator carrying the child out into the water and away, leaving the child dead.

From reading and observing, I see that alligators can be found in any Floridian small pond, accumulation of water, tiny lake, and other bodies of water in Florida on residential and commercial properties.

I'm afraid of them! When watching PGA golf tournaments & other golf in Florida, it passes thru my mind that one of the golfers playing right near the many bodies of water on golf courses could be snatched by an alligator by the leg when doing swings by the water, and especially when golfers stand in the water to do shots.
I lived for over 50 years in Florida and never had a run-in with an alligator. And that includes wading up to my chest in water at golf courses as a kid to get golf balls. They were the least of my worries

Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM

60 posts, read 41,727 times
Typically, they are more afraid of you than you are them. Exceptions can be when they are being regurally fed by humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement